Does legacy matter much? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arkansas 2011

New

Does legacy matter much?

Post by arkansas 2011 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 pm

After a quick search of forums for "legacy" I found a few threads that were populated mostly with sarcastic answers.

I know that there isn't much, if any, published stats on how legacy effects admissions, but are there any anecdotal (and helpful) comments out there that confirm/deny any effect?

Specifically I am asking about Wisconsin (which does ask about legacy in the application, so it does matter SOME, but the question is, how much?). Both my father and grandfather graduated from the law school.

Can I hold out any hope that this could help me considering that I'm a little below average for that school and not an URM?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: Does legacy matter much?

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:43 pm

You might want to ask the school. I think it def can play a role in admissions, prob in a similar way that expressing sincere and strong interest in a given school could make you a more attractive candidate than someone with the same numbers who comes across as not all that interested. Some schools actually have a box you can check for this, but I think most don't. I think numbers trumps all in almost all cases, but I would def try to find a way to communicate to the school that you are interested in going there at least in part for legacy reasons.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Almost every school asks about legacy, but that doesn't mean it matters at any of them.

Remember that it's numbers, numbers, numbers. You need to be above at least one median and being below both is the kiss of death. I advise you retake the LSAT if you really are below both medians.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:49 pm

bk187 wrote:Almost every school asks about legacy, but that doesn't mean it matters at any of them.

Remember that it's numbers, numbers, numbers. You need to be above at least one median and being below both is the kiss of death. I advise you retake the LSAT if you really are below both medians.
I agree with the second part of this, but at least on the numerous apps I completed (13), and the many more I looked through (prob another 5 or more), I remember maybe a couple that actually asked about legacy. IDK, maybe I just didn't pay all that much attention and most of them asked it, but not that I recall. Even if they don't ask about it, I think it is something that could be worth slipping into the PS or maybe even an addendum, especially if it is a factor that really is making you want to go to a particular school.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Legacy is the softest of soft factors.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:02 pm

If you're the son of a supreme court justice, sure, it probably matters, or maybe if your dad or grandad has a couple buildings on campus named after him. But other than that, just like LORs, it probably doesn't matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”