Summer Classes to Ease My Courseload? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dm10er

New

Summer Classes to Ease My Courseload?

Post by dm10er » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm a UG transfer student and after talking with my advisor, she recommended either taking 18+ credits per semester to graduate in time or taking summer classes to ease my courseload during the fall/spring. I am considering taking summer classes (and doing research if I can too) but I was wondering if law schools would frown upon this? I don't want to overwhelm myself with a bunch of courses during the school year and risk hurting my GPA so I think this is a reasonable option?

And does it matter if I take community college courses or classes at the public university I currently attend? Tuition is kind of steep here and I transferred from community college so I wouldn't mind it. I'm just worried that it would look like I'm not challenging myself enough by taking community college classes vs public university coursework.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Summer Classes to Ease My Courseload?

Post by Knock » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:02 pm

dm10er wrote:I'm a UG transfer student and after talking with my advisor, she recommended either taking 18+ credits per semester to graduate in time or taking summer classes to ease my courseload during the fall/spring. I am considering taking summer classes (and doing research if I can too) but I was wondering if law schools would frown upon this? I don't want to overwhelm myself with a bunch of courses during the school year and risk hurting my GPA so I think this is a reasonable option?

And does it matter if I take community college courses or classes at the public university I currently attend? Tuition is kind of steep here and I transferred from community college so I wouldn't mind it. I'm just worried that it would look like I'm not challenging myself enough by taking community college classes vs public university coursework.
No it doesn't matter. Take the summer courses. It's a much better alternative than loading up and having a heavy courseload that may hurt your GPA.

I took several CC classes online and so far am in a handful of T-14's.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Honestly it all depends on you and your ability to carry the course load. Can you manage 18 credits and other obligations and preform to the best of your abilities? If, so, then 18 credits should not be an issue. If you cannot, then summer course are a good investment. They are excellent as they are intensive, and very good to supplement your studies. Financial aid is always an issue, as i know they do not give out grants for summer courses, however, if you can pay for it out of pocket, again they are very good.

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:34 pm

They definitely give you grants for summer term if you're normally eligible and took full course loads the rest of the year.

AdamSmithsGhost

New

Post by AdamSmithsGhost » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:02 am

I've been thinking about Summer Classes as well, in my case that is if I end up doing a double major. But from what I've heard it should not hurt your chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:14 am

dm10er wrote:I'm a UG transfer student and after talking with my advisor, she recommended either taking 18+ credits per semester to graduate in time or taking summer classes to ease my courseload during the fall/spring. I am considering taking summer classes (and doing research if I can too) but I was wondering if law schools would frown upon this? I don't want to overwhelm myself with a bunch of courses during the school year and risk hurting my GPA so I think this is a reasonable option?

Take the classes at the CC, but don't complain about 18 hours. I had a 19 hour semester in LS while on law review and I would take that over the biglaw nutpunch machine I currently live in any day. If you would crack from 18 hours in UG, you better stay away from law school because you'll have a helluva time as a lawyer.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:53 am

Accepting grant aid during a summer term may reduce your eligibility for grant aid by one term during the regular academic year.

swfangirl

Bronze

Post by swfangirl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:01 am

It won't really have an impact on admissions. If any of these financial factors being mentioned are not an issue, go for it.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:05 am

I don't know how many classes 18 units turns into at your school but at my school 18 units usually = 6 classes, which is an unnecessary amount of classes for one semester.

1)Take less units during the semester and get good grades
2) Take some classes during the summer and get good grades
3) maintain a good GPA
4)????
5) Profit

It's what I wish I had done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:51 am

LSpleaseee wrote:I don't know how many classes 18 units turns into at your school but at my school 18 units usually = 6 classes, which is an unnecessary amount of classes for one semester.

1)Take less units during the semester and get good grades
2) Take some classes during the summer and get good grades
3) maintain a good GPA
4)????
5) Profit

It's what I wish I had done.
TITCR

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:27 am

I actually did this. I had to either take 18hrs (spanish and the rest writing intensive classes) or take summer classes. It wasn't something that was my fault, I AP'd out of almost all of my general ed, so that is just the way it worked out. In my situation, I had already been accepted to my schools and realized that I needed to *drop* spanish spring semester.
My law school didn't care. I sent them my updated transcript in time for registration(that may be important so you do need to ask) so all was well. I actually graduated on a saturday and moved to LS the next day. No biggie. Just check with them about registration deadlines and whether you needed to have graduated in order to register. My UG had a system where even if I completed the class in May, I couldn't graduate until August, even if I didn't walk. They did agree, though, that if need be they could give me proof of completion that I could give to my school.
So what you need to do is call your UG, see if they could give you proof that you've completed your UG degree(that way you know when you talk to the law schools). Then, you can call (pretty anonymously) your law schools you applied to and ask them about your situation. They likely won't care, but it is something you need to disclose/ask about for logistical/administrative reasons not admissions ones.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:06 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Accepting grant aid during a summer term may reduce your eligibility for grant aid by one term during the regular academic year.
Depends on whether the school classifies the term in the previous school year or the upcoming school year. Pell grants actually raised the limit this year so you can get additional for summer. State grants may have special summer grants (like in PA) that do not affect spring/fall amounts. Other grants may not reduce your eligibility term-wise, but if you have already received the maximum, you will not get any more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”