How accurate is this LSAC GPA calculator? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vissidarte27

Bronze

How accurate is this LSAC GPA calculator?

Post by vissidarte27 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:51 am

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

I think I got the link off of this site, and I was wondering how accurate it was. I'm afraid that my GPA is going to get dinged by LSAC but, by this calculator, it says it'll stay the same.

Did anybody else use that thing to predict his/her LSAC GPA? Can I stop worrying, or is it still possible that they'll knock me down?

isaiahnielsen

New

Re: How accurate is this LSAC GPA calculator?

Post by isaiahnielsen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:55 am

did you fail or re-take any classes in undergrad?

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:00 am

Did not retake anything. Failed one 1-credit tap dancing class because of a paperwork technicality that my school will not resolve.

Will that cause an extra penalty, beyond what it already does to my cumulative GPA?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:02 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Did not retake anything. Failed one 1-credit tap dancing class because of a paperwork technicality that my school will not resolve.

Will that cause an extra penalty, beyond what it already does to my cumulative GPA?
Nope

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:04 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Did not retake anything. Failed one 1-credit tap dancing class because of a paperwork technicality that my school will not resolve.

You may not get invited to your school's competitive jazz tap team, but otherwise the only effect will probably be the effect on your GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:10 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

You may not get invited to your school's competitive jazz tap team, but otherwise the only effect will probably be the effect on your GPA.
But I can trust that the number given to me by that LSAC GPA calculator is correct? It matched the GPA on my transcript, so I wasn't sure, given that so many people seem to have two different numbers.

I'm at a 3.25 and can't really afford to get dinged, hence the concern.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:12 am

Also, I have AP credits from high school. Is that going to hurt me?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:13 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Also, I have AP credits from high school. Is that going to hurt me?
Not factored in. Only cc classes taken when in high school will be counted.

isaiahnielsen

New

Post by isaiahnielsen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:14 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

But I can trust that the number given to me by that LSAC GPA calculator is correct? It matched the GPA on my transcript, so I wasn't sure, given that so many people seem to have two different numbers.

I'm at a 3.25 and can't really afford to get dinged, hence the concern.
i think if you are really concerned, you should email LSAC directly and ask them...i had to do that because I got bumped from a 3.25 to 2.93...they are really good about answering questions in a very timely manner

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:15 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Also, I have AP credits from high school. Is that going to hurt me?
Your AP classes from high school won't be calculated in your GPA unless they were something like a dual enrollment course done with a college or university.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:34 pm

It's pretty accurate as long as all of the grades are inputed including fails/repeats etc.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:36 pm

What was your reason for thinking that your GPA was going to get dinged by LSAC? Any other reason besides "it happened to a lot of people"?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:54 pm

Unless you have A+'s that your school counts as 4.0, or some weird withdrawals that you aren't sure of the status of, or you went to more than one school, you really don't have a need to calculate your GPA using the calculator. The stories of the LSAC screwing up GPAs have been greatly exaggerated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:57 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Unless you have A+'s that your school counts as 4.0, or some weird withdrawals that you aren't sure of the status of, or you went to more than one school, you really don't have a need to calculate your GPA using the calculator. The stories of the LSAC screwing up GPAs have been greatly exaggerated.
What do you mean? What does going to different schools have to do with one's LSAC gpa, and why wouldn't she need to use LSAC calculator?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:00 am

Miracle wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:Unless you have A+'s that your school counts as 4.0, or some weird withdrawals that you aren't sure of the status of, or you went to more than one school, you really don't have a need to calculate your GPA using the calculator. The stories of the LSAC screwing up GPAs have been greatly exaggerated.
What do you mean? What does going to different schools have to do with one's LSAC gpa, and why wouldn't she need to use LSAC calculator?
If you have different GPA's at different schools it is easier to use the calculator. If the OP has just gone to one school, not withdrawn (punitively) from any classes, and doesn't have any grade replacements then the chance of their school GPA being equal to their LSAC GPA is extremely high.

TL;DR: OP needs to chill.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:02 am

Miracle wrote:
Going to different schools affects your LSAC GPA because typically the grades from the classes you take at an earlier institution will not be factored into your degree granting institution GPA, but they will be factored into the LSAC GPA. At that point using the GPA calculator can be useful.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:05 am

dextermorgan wrote:
Miracle wrote:
If you have different GPA's at different schools it is easier to use the calculator. If the OP has just gone to one school, not withdrawn (punitively) from any classes, and doesn't have any grade replacements then the chance of their school GPA being equal to their LSAC GPA is extremely high.

I would think it would be harder to calculate GPA if someone went to different schools, and easier if you went to only one school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:15 am

Miracle wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
Miracle wrote:

I would think it would be harder to calculate GPA if someone went to different schools, and easier if you went to only one school.
That's the point. It's so easy to calculate your GPA from a single school (without the weird situations I mentioned) that there is no reason to do it.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:45 am

My GPA stayed exactly the same even though my UG and LSAC weight grades differently. I was surprised at first and thought I'd miscalculated it, but sometimes that just happens. As long as you included everything, I don't think you need to worry.

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:52 am

It's calculations were right on. I have credits from 2 different institutions and re-took 4 classes.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:14 am

Mine was .01 off.
I'm sure that is because i put something in wrong though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Evey

New

Post by Evey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:37 am

If you're really unsure about it just calculate it yourself using LSAC's scale. I might be a complete nerd, but I made an excel sheet with all my classes each term, including my cc classes from high school.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:59 am

LSpleaseee wrote:What was your reason for thinking that your GPA was going to get dinged by LSAC? Any other reason besides "it happened to a lot of people"?
That was basically my only reason.

I see so many people complaining about LSAC dinging their GPA and I wasn't sure what caused the ding so I was concerned that I'd get penalized for some random thing.

Looks like I'll be fine, though. Only one school and the GPA on that calculator is the same as the one on my transcript, so I don't think I'll get dinged.

Thanks, y'all. Very helpful info.

TheTallOne0602

New

Post by TheTallOne0602 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:12 am

Evey wrote:If you're really unsure about it just calculate it yourself using LSAC's scale. I might be a complete nerd, but I made an excel sheet with all my classes each term, including my cc classes from high school.
Indeed. Calculating it yourself is supremely simple. If you can't figure out how to do it... you have bigger problems than a possible GPA change.

joeljohnson

New

Post by joeljohnson » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:37 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Your AP classes from high school won't be calculated in your GPA unless they were something like a dual enrollment course done with a college or university.

I assume you mean that these dual enrollment classes only affect the GPA if one transferred them to the institution from which he received his grade. I took a college Calc course my senior year of high school and did not do so well. I never transferred it to my college. I hope this will not somehow come back to haunt me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”