How accurate is this LSAC GPA calculator? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NZA

Silver

Re: How accurate is this LSAC GPA calculator?

Post by NZA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:45 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Did not retake anything. Failed one 1-credit tap dancing class because of a paperwork technicality that my school will not resolve.
:lol:

Not lolling at you, but at the absurdity of academia/the Universe.

EDIT: Doesn't your LSAC GPA show on your LSDAS Report, anyway...?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:50 am

joeljohnson wrote:I assume you mean that these dual enrollment classes only affect the GPA if one transferred them to the institution from which he received his grade. I took a college Calc course my senior year of high school and did not do so well. I never transferred it to my college. I hope this will not somehow come back to haunt me.
Nope, the dual enrollment class transcripts must be sent to LSAC and are calculated into your GPA whether or not you got credit for them at an institution.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:51 am

NZA wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:Did not retake anything. Failed one 1-credit tap dancing class because of a paperwork technicality that my school will not resolve.

Don't have an LSDAS report yet -- just graduated a week ago and haven't taken the LSAT yet. Just starting to send my stuff in to the LSAC people.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:39 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
NZA wrote:

Don't have an LSDAS report yet -- just graduated a week ago and haven't taken the LSAT yet. Just starting to send my stuff in to the LSAC people.
Ohh...congrats on graduating. Congradulations? Ha!

My GPA didn't change at all...I think it can only help if you have A+s at your school, or harm you if you retook a class (like other people have mentioned).

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:41 am

What do you mean when you talk about retaking a class?

Taking a class again after you bombed it the first time? Taking a class twice because you needed another credit to be full time and you liked the prof?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:48 am

vissidarte27 wrote:What do you mean when you talk about retaking a class?

Taking a class again after you bombed it the first time? Taking a class twice because you needed another credit to be full time and you liked the prof?
The former. For instance, at my undergrad, if you get a D or something in a class and retake it and get a B the second time around, the B is what is counted for your official GPA. LSDAS does not grant you that luxury: it counts the D when calculating your GPA.

In your case, I think it doesn't matter. Assuming that the latter case pertains directly to you, that is. If you got an A the first time and an A the second time, LSDAS will just count the first A.

Actually, it might matter for you to know whether or not it counts both grades or just the first one. :? I don't know the answer to that, though.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:57 am

Yeah, that latter situation applies to me -- took French Diction twice because the prof is a BRILLIANT coach and the class was the only way to work with him as an undergrad (he only privately coached the diploma students). My school counted both grades towards my GPA. I think they're the same anyway (or something like a B vs a B+) so it probably doesn't matter all that much if LSAC takes the first or the second or both.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:12 am

NZA wrote:The former. For instance, at my undergrad, if you get a D or something in a class and retake it and get a B the second time around, the B is what is counted for your official GPA. LSDAS does not grant you that luxury: it counts the D when calculating your GPA.

In your case, I think it doesn't matter. Assuming that the latter case pertains directly to you, that is. If you got an A the first time and an A the second time, LSDAS will just count the first A.

Actually, it might matter for you to know whether or not it counts both grades or just the first one. :? I don't know the answer to that, though.
Actually, in both instances LSAC will count both grades. So if you get a D in a class, retake and get a B then both grades will be counted. If you take a class and get an A and then retake it for more credits and get an A both grades will be counted.

Vissi: since your school counted both grades your GPA should not change because of you taking the class twice.

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:53 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:Actually, in both instances LSAC will count both grades. So if you get a D in a class, retake and get a B then both grades will be counted.
+1
LSAC weights all off these grades equally. Were it not the case, that GPA calculator link would need a more complex calculator that factors in whether or not a class is a re-take.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:07 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:Actually, in both instances LSAC will count both grades. So if you get a D in a class, retake and get a B then both grades will be counted.
+1
LSAC weights all off these grades equally. Were it not the case, that GPA calculator link would need a more complex calculator that factors in whether or not a class is a re-take.
Ahhh...got it. :) That makes sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”