Did I get YPed at Cornell? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
$1.99

Silver

Did I get YPed at Cornell?

Post by $1.99 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Is it common to get YPed at Cornell? I have stats way above their 75ths and got deferred from early action (i didn't even early action). I looked over my app and did not find any glaring errors. Would it be worth it to send in a LOCI and an additional LOR?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Did I get YPed at Cornell?

Post by bk1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:23 pm

All apps before their EA date are automatically EA whether you choose to or not.

Cornell seems to bungle their EA app process (they did it last year, seems like they might be doing it again this year). So either they fucked shit up, or it is some sort of soft YP. I would just wait until they render an actual WL before sending a LOCI, but get on their ass if they don't give you a decision by Feb/April as reportedly they didn't even render decisions to a let of deferred EAs last year.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:26 pm

I've never seen YP behavior by Cornell. Have you considered this might have to do with your 171 -> 161 LSAT retake? http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3714488
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:28 pm

my numbers for my LSAT were a bit fudged, even if they are averaged they are still above median for Cornell

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm at 75% gpa and >>75% lsat. I also got deferred to RD. So I think they do YP. Send in an loci and you should be good-to-go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:32 pm

$1.99 wrote:my numbers for my LSAT were a bit fudged, even if they are averaged they are still above median for Cornell
Well, I don't want to be an asshole, but it must be a very worrisome sign to a law school to see someone retake the LSAT and do much worse than their earlier score, with a cancel in between. Don't you have a retake score from the December test pending? They might just be waiting for that to make sure the lower score was a fluke and not the higher one.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:36 pm

yeah you may be right

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Why would you retake off of a 171 anyway? Seems like a pretty big risk.

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Bosque wrote:Why would you retake off of a 171 anyway? Seems like a pretty big risk.
Increasing medians at HYS and even CCN, can't blame him for going for gold.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:32 pm

i got the 171 when i was unprepared for the LSAT. when i actually studied for it and took it, i got hit with nerves and screwed up majorly.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Uh, supposedly you just got into Columbia ED, so why does this mattter?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3745545

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:05 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I've never seen YP behavior by Cornell. Have you considered this might have to do with your 171 -> 161 LSAT retake? http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3714488
Really?

Also, YP. Cornell could care less about the lower score.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:10 am

Ragged wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I've never seen YP behavior by Cornell. Have you considered this might have to do with your 171 -> 161 LSAT retake? http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3714488
Really?
Yeah really. Look at LSN from past years. A sea of green in the upper right hand corner with only a few scattered WLs/dings. Most of the cries about YP this cycle have been from people with a # under median.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:21 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Really?
Yeah really. Look at LSN from past years. A sea of green in the upper right hand corner with only a few scattered WLs/dings. Most of the cries about YP this cycle have been from people with a # under median.
Looking at the graph it apears that you are right. Everyone with OPs numbers got in in the past two years. That's weird considering how much TLSer talk about Cornell YPing.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:17 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Uh, supposedly you just got into Columbia ED, so why does this mattter?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3745545
lololol

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:22 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Really?
Cornell was the only school I applied to that didn't take me except Harvard.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:24 am

Renzo wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Really?
Cornell was the only school I applied to that didn't take me except Harvard.
coolstorybro.jpg

Seriously though, there are individual examples of people that would seemingly be auto-admits who are getting deferred/waitlisted/dinged, but the overall trend is very much one of not YPing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:30 am

Bildungsroman wrote: Seriously though, there are individual examples of people that would seemingly be auto-admits who are getting deferred/waitlisted/dinged, but the overall trend is very much one of not YPing.
I take YP = not admitting people who will are not likely to attend.

So count my deferral as YP too.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:32 am

r6_philly wrote: So count my deferral as YP too.
Whatever helps you get through the day.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:33 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
That was not really appropriate.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:34 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
coolstorybro.jpg

Seriously though, there are individual examples of people that would seemingly be auto-admits who are getting deferred/waitlisted/dinged, but the overall trend is very much one of not YPing.
Oh, I didn't know that by never you meant sometimes. My bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 am

Renzo wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
coolstorybro.jpg

Oh, I didn't know that by never you meant sometimes. My bad.
Don't misrepresent what I'm saying. I'm saying that a few isolated incidents of people with good numbers being passed over doesn't mean there's YP going on. Unless you can see a trend, which is quite clearly absent in Cornell's situation, you can't use a few instances of good numbers being WLed/dinged to say that a school YPs.

ETA: I mean, look at American's graph on LSN. There is a school that quite clearly waitlists people above a certain LSAT at a suspicious rate.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 am

r6_philly wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
That was not really appropriate.
What I thought too. I think the whole TLS assholish atmosphere is getting to him. Don't remember him being like that when he was waiting for his LSAT score.

I wonder how they select who to deffer, because a bunch of people have already gotten in with yours and higher stats and I don't think there is anything wrong with your app since you already got better acceptances.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:47 am

Ragged wrote: What I thought too. I think the whole TLS assholish atmosphere is getting to him. Don't remember him being like that when he was waiting for his LSAT score.
I have to say I honestly didn't expect a bunch of regulars talking to each other in this manner.
I wonder how they select who to deffer, because a bunch of people have already gotten in with yours and higher stats and I don't think there is anything wrong with your app since you already got better acceptances.
I don't know, but they are probably right about deferring me. My point is, they are protecting their yield - by numerical stands or other wise, so it is YP by definition. I don't have a problem with it really, but I am not going to pretend it didn't happen.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:11 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Renzo wrote: Cornell was the only school I applied to that didn't take me except Harvard.
coolstorybro.jpg
Lol Yeah, relax.

The point is Cornell will "YP" if you have good numbers AND it seems you really aren't interested in attending (fee waiver, short-answer on application, ps, etc.). Not a trend, but it does happen here too.

OP, send in an LOCI and let's see what happens

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”