GPA considerations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Saltqjibo

Bronze

GPA considerations

Post by Saltqjibo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 am

So, I have yet to be accepted anywhere (late apps - November) but have good numbers, 3.74, 176 ~(fudged slightly for anonymity). Unfortunately I had a course go awry on me and may not only be receiving my first B in a few years, but possibly even a C. I'm only taking a few courses this semester so it will totally screw up my GPA for the fall term.

I'm really hoping for big scholarships somewhere in the T-14 (Michigan/Chicago?) or an acceptance to HLS (bit of a longshot i know)

I know I'm lucky to have good grades, but I'm being paranoid after writing a terrible exam and realizing my TA did not appreciate my term paper topic of choice.

Will this affect my chances at HLS or scholarship considerations elsewhere? Are schools likely to ask for fall grades?

Any help would be great!

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: GPA considerations

Post by BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:23 am

giving anonymous numbers makes it harder to say.. but if you get accepted before they ask who cares.. and if they ask send with an addendum (as long as it doesn't drastically hurt your overall GPA you will be fine.. .01 will not matter)

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Post by Saltqjibo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:28 am

numbers are very similar, just not exact. thanks for the advice :)

edit: and the cumulative drop is likely to be around .03 or so

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:04 am

.03 is insignificant, it won't be a material change in the eyes of any school unless you take a symbolic drop from 3.7 to 3.6 territory

Good luck though, your "softs" will decide your odds at HLS. I got money from all my schools but was waitlisted at HLS with a 3.87 and 176.

On the other hand I had 0 softs, no leadership stuff, no interesting activities, no real work experience, no special awards or honors, etc... and 2009 was a rough year to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”