Question about Work Experience Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BxBob0711

New

Question about Work Experience

Post by BxBob0711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:49 am

OK I've decided to cancel my December LSAT score and study for June and apply in the next cycle. For the past 4 years (all through college) I've worked for a restaurant. In that time I've gone from being a waiter to a manager where I train people, handle problems, plan new dishes, oversee parties, and at times still work as a waiter/cashier. I figure the leadership qualities and people skills of being a manager is what law schools like to see, but it's working off the books /: The owner of the restaurant refuses to put anyone working there on the books but it is good money and helped me pay for college.

I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to put on my resume that I've worked there 4 years seeing as though it was off the books and now I have the year off from school (since I won't be applying this year) Is it worth trying to find a job on the books (even though there's a very good chance that it will probably be a retail or some counter job at starbucks and pay less) or would it be ok if I just volunteer for an organization and list that as a way I filled my time and continue working for the restaurant? Also, does volunteering for an organization like the ACLU or the DA's office look better than volunteering at a children's hospital or at this stage do schools just like to see you're volunteering your time to something. Thank you for reading!

oshberg28

Bronze

Re: Question about Work Experience

Post by oshberg28 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 am

BxBob0711 wrote:OK I've decided to cancel my December LSAT score and study for June and apply in the next cycle. For the past 4 years (all through college) I've worked for a restaurant. In that time I've gone from being a waiter to a manager where I train people, handle problems, plan new dishes, oversee parties, and at times still work as a waiter/cashier. I figure the leadership qualities and people skills of being a manager is what law schools like to see, but it's working off the books /: The owner of the restaurant refuses to put anyone working there on the books but it is good money and helped me pay for college.

I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to put on my resume that I've worked there 4 years seeing as though it was off the books and now I have the year off from school (since I won't be applying this year) Is it worth trying to find a job on the books (even though there's a very good chance that it will probably be a retail or some counter job at starbucks and pay less) or would it be ok if I just volunteer for an organization and list that as a way I filled my time and continue working for the restaurant? Also, does volunteering for an organization like the ACLU or the DA's office look better than volunteering at a children's hospital or at this stage do schools just like to see you're volunteering your time to something. Thank you for reading!
Edit: I hope this is a flame, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, you probably have bigger problems than deciding whether to put this on your resume. Do you report this income on your taxes? How does your employer (restaurant) pay you? I'm assuming via cash....ay, you might want to reconsider law school. Lots of laws being broken here, and you may want to report your employer to the authorities.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:48 am

Work experience is not restaurant experience. LS doesn't care about those kinds of jobs...WE is full time work (not in a restaurant) after undergraduate.

For me, though, I've worked at the same company for 2.5 years (2 years in undergrad PT and now FT till law school) so I think that would count in my favor....but the little summer jobs and internships I've held don't count toward my WE.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:49 am

oshberg28 wrote:
BxBob0711 wrote:OK I've decided to cancel my December LSAT score and study for June and apply in the next cycle. For the past 4 years (all through college) I've worked for a restaurant. In that time I've gone from being a waiter to a manager where I train people, handle problems, plan new dishes, oversee parties, and at times still work as a waiter/cashier. I figure the leadership qualities and people skills of being a manager is what law schools like to see, but it's working off the books /: The owner of the restaurant refuses to put anyone working there on the books but it is good money and helped me pay for college.

Edit: I hope this is a flame, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, you probably have bigger problems than deciding whether to put this on your resume. Do you report this income on your taxes? How does your employer (restaurant) pay you? I'm assuming via cash....ay, you might want to reconsider law school. Lots of laws being broken here, and you may want to report your employer to the authorities.
This was EXACTLY my first thought.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:51 am

homestyle28 wrote:
oshberg28 wrote:

This was EXACTLY my first thought.

me too but i decided to ignore it lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”