Stanford Recs huh? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
The Gentleman

Silver

Stanford Recs huh?

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:53 am

Two questions about Stanford Recs...

First, if I have a recommender write a Stanford specific LoR, what type of things should they mention? I'm guessing they would discuss how Stanford's programs/clinics/faculty would fit my interests and goals. Anything else?

Second, how do they submit the Statement of Instructor to LSAC? Would they include it with their letter, or should they submit it separately?

Thanks!

The Gentleman

Silver

Re: Stanford Recs huh?

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Friendly Bump...

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:51 pm

IIRC the statement of instructor serves the same purpose as the LOR. I applied to Stanford and only sent in two LOr's, dean certification letter...

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:33 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Two questions about Stanford Recs...

First, if I have a recommender write a Stanford specific LoR, what type of things should they mention? I'm guessing they would discuss how Stanford's programs/clinics/faculty would fit my interests and goals. Anything else?

Second, how do they submit the Statement of Instructor to LSAC? Would they include it with their letter, or should they submit it separately?

Thanks!
1) Yes, the things you listed would be important to include. However, they should only write about these things if they have somewhat decent knowledge of faculty/programs/etc. There's no need to have a Stanford-specific letter if it does not speak to things actually specific to Stanford, if you get what I mean. My recommender also asked me what programs I was interested in in order to better target the letter. If you can work these specifics into your application, even better.

2) You should give them both the LOR form from LSAC and Stanford's form. They should fill out the Stanford form and write a LOR. They should then send both forms and the letter in the same envelope to LSAC. LSAC will process the Stanford form along with the letter for them. Also, if one of your LOR's is not Stanford specific, the recommender does not need to fill out a form along with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”