Should I take a crack at the T14? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AreJay711

Gold

Re: Should I take a crack at the T14?

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:11 pm

weejonbu wrote:
James Bond wrote:
weejonbu wrote:Out of curiosity, why did you decide against a legal education?

Also, if you have decided that law isn't your thing--which is perfectly fine--why are you still posting on web forum dedicated to people who are pre-law/in law school/in the legal profession?
1. Job prospects, debt load, and the reality of what you do in the profession. The job prospects are far more abysmal than the average, the cost is extreme, and the career is not what I'm looking for. I'd do a lot better as a lawyer on law and order :wink:

2. TLS has given me a whole lot. I feel it's my duty to give back.
That's a fair response, and your points are well taken.

Still, I think there are many career fields out there today that require one to "roll the dice" so to speak. That doesn't justify every decision that results in the debt load and dismal job market you mentioned, but neither does it negate the fact that a legal education is still a respected academic route to take.

If one were to study law just because that was something they wanted to do in their lifetime, they would be justified in that decision, no?
You could study the law by reading text books and academic articles so no.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:13 pm

OP, what LSAT prep did you do before taking the test? I understand that you shelling out the money for a prep course is not going to happen, but most people on this site swear by the Bibles and Pithypike study guides. You do not need an exorbitant amount of cash to prep for the LSAT (though it helps). As previous posters have indicated raising your LSAT 3 or more points will make the T14 a much more realistic goal, an option which I encourage you to consider.

Birdlaw

Bronze

Post by Birdlaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:04 am

St.Remy wrote:OP, what LSAT prep did you do before taking the test? I understand that you shelling out the money for a prep course is not going to happen, but most people on this site swear by the Bibles and Pithypike study guides. You do not need an exorbitant amount of cash to prep for the LSAT (though it helps). As previous posters have indicated raising your LSAT 3 or more points will make the T14 a much more realistic goal, an option which I encourage you to consider.
I did all the Powerscore Books, two of the 10 most recent LSAT books, and ordered 5 of the most recent LSAT's from LSAC.org. I also looked through a Kaplan book, but mostly for understanding the format. I studied a lot, probably not as much as some people on this site, but certainly to a point where I hit a wall on my practice scores.

Responding to James Bond. Yeah law isn't for everyone and I guess I can't really know its for me until I actually do it. But, I'm not taking the decision light heartedly. Honestly there is a lot more to know about law school before I commit, but everything I know so far I have liked. I know the legal market has been hit by the recession, but what the hell hasn't?

Anyone got any suggestions on a good 0L book for what to expect? I'm sitting in on classes in January and have talked to a lot of friends in law school. So far this is what I want to do with my life so I've prepared for it best I could. If I change my mind down the road, thats perfectly fine.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:07 am

you've got very little shot at the t-14. t-20 would be a big victory given a score under the 90th percentile. if you don't want to spend $ on LSAT prep, why spend $ on apps? if you improved 5 points, u wouldnt need to pay for many apps.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:09 am

OP, T14 is not happening for you. Sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:12 am

James Bond wrote:
weejonbu wrote:Hate to break this to you, but the U.S. is coming out of an economic recession... nothing on the job front is doing exceptionally well right now.

http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/2010/ ... tless.aspx
not the same.
+1
tend to agree with bond

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:13 am

Ragged wrote:OP, T14 is not happening for you. Sorry.
Yeah, if you had done less prep for the LSAT I would tell you to buckle down and retake OP, but it sounds like you've already done a lot and are not up for more. If that is the case then you still have options, just not T14. Strong regionals with $$$ are an option, depending of course on where exactly you want to practice.

Birdlaw

Bronze

Post by Birdlaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 am

justadude55 wrote:you've got very little shot at the t-14. t-20 would be a big victory given a score under the 90th percentile. if you don't want to spend $ on LSAT prep, why spend $ on apps? if you improved 5 points, u wouldnt need to pay for many apps.
I've spent a little over 300 dollars on applications and I've applied to 13 schools. Schools are pretty easy to get fee waivers out of if you e-mail their admissions. Kaplan LSAT prep cost 1200 dollars. Plus I don't think its anything I haven't already seen or studied.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 am

Birdlaw wrote:
justadude55 wrote:you've got very little shot at the t-14. t-20 would be a big victory given a score under the 90th percentile. if you don't want to spend $ on LSAT prep, why spend $ on apps? if you improved 5 points, u wouldnt need to pay for many apps.
I've spent a little over 300 dollars on applications and I've applied to 13 schools. Schools are pretty easy to get fee waivers out of if you e-mail their admissions. Kaplan LSAT prep cost 1200 dollars. Plus I don't think its anything I haven't already seen or studied.
u shouldnt do a prep class when u scored a 163. ull be in those classes with the average american who is closer to a 140 coming into prep than a 150. ull be wasting ur time. the classes are built for idiots. do an advanced level thing or get a tutor for cheap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:20 am

Birdlaw wrote:
Good call for not taking a course. Having attained a 163, I'm pretty sure you have what it takes to improve beyond that if you follow some of the self study stratagies from TLS. That's all just a matter of how badly you want T14 and if you are willing to postpone enrollment a year.

Birdlaw

Bronze

Post by Birdlaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:39 am

Ragged wrote:
Birdlaw wrote:
Good call for not taking a course. Having attained a 163, I'm pretty sure you have what it takes to improve beyond that if you follow some of the self study stratagies from TLS. That's all just a matter of how badly you want T14 and if you are willing to postpone enrollment a year.
Well would it be worth it? Iowa is a strong school in the Midwest and I've still got applications out to a lot of 20-30 ranked schools. Does the T14 guarantee that much better of job prospects?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:50 am

Birdlaw wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Birdlaw wrote:
Well would it be worth it? Iowa is a strong school in the Midwest and I've still got applications out to a lot of 20-30 ranked schools. Does the T14 guarantee that much better of job prospects?
Don't know how reliable this is exactly, but check out this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

If you were deciding between taking a full ride at a local T30 and T14 at sticker it would be a different story but since you are unlikely to get alot of money even at a T30, T14 would be a better choice I think.

Of course if you know where you want to practice, have serious roots in the community AND can get into a top local school it just might be worth it.

You have to consider your situation and decide for yourself. All I (and others here) can tell you is that your only chance at a T14 would be to increase your LSAT by 3 or 4 points and apply early next cycle.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:00 am

1. Seriously consider retaking. Every last point is going to matter where you are sitting now. I understand everyone probably has a "max score" in them, but really evaluate if you've hit yours.
2. Throw out the apps anywhere you are above the median GPA if you aren't going to really miss the money or can get fee waivers. A couple hundred dollars is going to be pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
3. That said, don't get your hopes up too much. You are going to be a serious long shot for anywhere in the t14.
4.?????
5. Profit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Listen, I'm new on here, but I really think you should. I have a 157, 3.9 UGPA and 4.0 GGPA and I'm getting into schools I never thought I'd get into. I was like you, I spent 4 solid months studying, 20 hours a week, and I ended up with a sub-par score. I was PT-ing at a 162, but due to a very personal family circumstance, test day didn't go so well for me and I'm at a 157. I applied to 11 schools--mostly with fee waivers that were emailed to me, and 8 schools are top 50 / top 30, and 3 are T14. I've gotten into most of the top 50/30, all full time, and supposedly with my kind of score I'm not supposed to be getting in. Since it's only been a month, I'm still waiting to hear, but whether I get in or not, it is nice to know I tried and I know it's a long shot so I'm expecting to get dinged. However, I do have other things going, such as a grad degree and other good softs, and I put a few months into my PS, DS, addendum, etc before I applied and they are strong.

Even if you don't get in, if you get a fee waiver, just apply. You'll wish you did later on, just to know where you stand.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”