Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ExpectLess

Bronze

Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Post by ExpectLess » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:57 am

So a letter-writing professor of mine was contacted by a T14 school (I'll narrow it: 11-14) after I was accepted. My professor said that he received a "slightly oblique" message from the admissions dean that suggested I might have good news, which makes it sound like it wasn't an automated email. I was surprised that someone contacted him and asked him if that was normal and he said he had never heard of such a thing.

What the heck? Do schools do this? Why would they contact him AFTER I was accepted?

My cycle has been much quieter than I would have liked up until this point and I'm no longer feeling really confident about my application, so this really perplexes me.
Last edited by ExpectLess on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigwillie

New

Re: Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Post by bigwillie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 am

Georgetown has been doing this for some reason this cycle. Seems kind of weird imo

ExpectLess

Bronze

Post by ExpectLess » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:01 am

Well that explains it then. I sifted through GULC waiting thread and couldn't find anything about it.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:04 am

I'm not quite sure why Georgetown does this. It would be funny if they send rejection letters to your recommender also though.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:07 am

bigwillie wrote:Georgetown has been doing this for some reason this cycle. Seems kind of weird imo
Although that seems weird, just be glad you're in, OP (and congrats)!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:11 am

ExpectLess wrote:What the heck? Do schools do this? Why would they contact him AFTER I was accepted?

My cycle has been much quieter than I would have liked up until this point and I'm no longer feeling really confident about my application, so this really perplexes me.
Georgetown has been sending a "we can't disclose if X was accepted or not but we think X might have some good news to share with you!" email. They aren't contacting him to ask about you. They're pretty much saying you got in without actually saying it.

ETA: I don't know why this would make you feel less confident about your app.

ExpectLess

Bronze

Post by ExpectLess » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 am

This didn't make me feel less confident, it perplexed me because I was less confident. I'm less confident because my app was somewhat risky and I don't think it paid off as I've yet to hear anything from HSY or Berkeley. But now I know it was Georgetown protocol :)

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:24 am

ExpectLess wrote:This didn't make me feel less confident, it perplexed me because I was less confident. I'm less confident because my app was somewhat risky and I don't think it paid off as I've yet to hear anything from HSY or Berkeley. But now I know it was Georgetown protocol :)
Oh I see. Well congratulations on Georgetown!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”