Getting Discouraged Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: Getting Discouraged

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:41 pm

naterj wrote:
kwais wrote: Uninformed absolutist remark indicative of a cowardly 22 year old...retake...ITE...ITE...anything below Columbia is like suicide...I'm a DBag....(waiting to be backed up by my butt buddies)...more shit I don't have a clue about.
How am I doing?
Your continued homophobia on this site needs to stop. Hurl whatever insults you like but you cross a serious line when it turns sexist, racial, homophobic, etc.
this, although, sexism is ok. I mean, as we all know, the only people who care about sexism are ugly and/or fat chicks. And no one cares about ugly and/or fat chicks.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:On a semi serious note, being blunt and honest are generally good attributes. People who encourage others to beat around the bush, lie, and mislead for the sake of someones feelings are usually just doing them a disservice.
Do you tell fat girls that they look fat?
I don't talk to them about their weight.
TBF, he didn't say brutal honesty was a categorical imperative.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:45 pm

kwais wrote:don't worry OP, most of the people on this site are months away from the truth, that being a bad person only gets you far on the internet. They will be just as lonely in law school as they were in HS. The only difference is that they won't have the other dozen or so Dbags that they are conected to the hip with on TLS. In the real world these people get exposed fast.

Honestly, from what I've seen from my classmates who've been successful in the job search, and attorneys I know, it takes a certain level of what some call douchiness, cockiness, smugness, and just plain assholish behavior to succeed. That doesn't mean you're "generally a bad person," but every single person I've personally seen that's had resounding success in the job hunt or in the practice of law has been described with one of those terms by at least one person.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm

mrmangs wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:On a semi serious note, being blunt and honest are generally good attributes. People who encourage others to beat around the bush, lie, and mislead for the sake of someones feelings are usually just doing them a disservice.
Do you tell fat girls that they look fat?
No one takes Kant seriously anyways.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
kwais wrote:don't worry OP, most of the people on this site are months away from the truth, that being a bad person only gets you far on the internet. They will be just as lonely in law school as they were in HS. The only difference is that they won't have the other dozen or so Dbags that they are conected to the hip with on TLS. In the real world these people get exposed fast.

Honestly, from what I've seen from my classmates who've been successful in the job search, and attorneys I know, it takes a certain level of what some call douchiness, cockiness, smugness, and just plain assholish behavior to succeed. That doesn't mean you're "generally a bad person," but every single person I've personally seen that's had resounding success in the job hunt or in the practice of law has been described with one of those terms by at least one person.
this is uniformly true across a lot of industries. The meek, shy, and overly nice aren't the ones who (generally) are the most succesful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

holy crap, i might be behind on the curve! quick, call me one of those things now so i get the 'bump'

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Do you tell fat girls that they look fat?
No one takes Kant seriously anyways.
Are you fat?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

this is uniformly true across a lot of industries. The meek, shy, and overly nice aren't the ones who (generally) are the most succesful.
A lot of the douche comments come from envious people anyways.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:51 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

A lot of the douche comments come from envious people anyways.
Exactly, some are really just threatened by the fact that xyz person looks or sounds more confident than themselves. Again though, that doesn't mean being a generally bad person. There are definitely some people who are just over the top douches, but, like I said before, every successful classmate of mine or lawyer I know has been described using one of those terms by someone.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:52 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:A lot of the douche comments come from envious people anyways.
Keep trying to convince yourself of that.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

+5.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Damn, I had all kinds of sarcastic memes ready to go and meme-generator went offline...

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:54 pm

*sigh* this got boring quick. Troll feeding fail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:*sigh* this got boring quick. Troll feeding fail.
Agreed. New game:

Whose alt was that?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Yeah, it could have been better but this troll lacks dedication.

RicketyCricket

New

Post by RicketyCricket » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Marmaduke8 wrote:Are you guys really the anal retentive, petty, witless cretins that you sound like on this website? Are there a load of readers who never post that are actually solid people?
If you don't want to deal with people who are anal retentive and petty, maybe you don't want to be a lawyer.

darkgreenfruit

New

Post by darkgreenfruit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:23 pm

TLS discourages me because it reminds me of all the people who did better on the LSAT than I did.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 pm

man if you think TLS is bad. Spend a couple of hours on JD Underground. Holy Christ!

lshamlet

Bronze

Post by lshamlet » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:37 pm

I wonder if the studentdoctor.net forums are this bad. It's hard to imagine a more neurotic, dogmatic bunch than TLSers/law students in general.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Marmaduke8 wrote:So, I recently got into a T10 school. I'm happy about that, or at least I thought I would be.

But I'm getting discouraged. Not about job prospects, not about debt. I know I want to be a lawyer. I'm discouraged by what I read on TLS. Specifically, I'm discouraged to think that I will be spending three years with you douchebags.

I think you guys are probably nice, harmless people. But who the hell sits down and makes line graphs of the decision dates at a law school? Who the hell gets on the internet to plug a STRANGER'S numbers into law school predictor for them? SO many of the things said on this site land somewhere between pointless, idiotic, and redundant. Originality is the diamond in the rough.

I've been reading these forums for several months, and yes, they have helped me with the application process. But that's not the same as wanting to spend time with the people that created them.

My question is this: Are you guys really the anal retentive, petty, witless cretins that you sound like on this website? Are there a load of readers who never post that are actually solid people?

Discuss.
OP, you're right about the snarkiness and elitism (I'm not a frequent poster but have been guilty of that nevertheless). But, seriously, the bolded is ironic. Not only are you using a huge cliche to bemoan the lack of originality on this site, but you're also using the cliche incorrectly. Nice!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”