Bad Fall GPA before acceptance to law School What do I do? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gov

Bronze

Re: Bad Fall GPA before acceptance to law School What do I do?

Post by gov » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:54 pm

paratactical wrote:Word of caution/warning: if you get a special withdrawl because of mental health and mental health treatments, you will have special attention paid to your mental health issues during your C&F. It's not the end of the world, but you will have to be prepared to prove that you're "better" and that it won't interfere with your ability to practice.
Here the classes disappear off the transcript... Unless they ask for that information specifically (or for health records) I am not sure how they would know...
Last edited by gov on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm

govorett wrote:
paratactical wrote:Word of caution/warning: if you get a special withdrawl because of mental health and mental health treatments, you will have special attention paid to your mental health issues during your C&F. It's not the end of the world, but you will have to be prepared to prove that you're "better" and that it won't interfere with your ability to practice.
Here the classes disappear of the transcript, so they don't appear at all. Unless they ask for that information specifically (or for health records) I am not sure how they would know...
Your school is nothing like mine. I have 2 medical withdrawals (which is what a withdrawal from a mental health problem would be similar to) and I have a BIG FAT "MW" all over both of those semesters in my transcripts.

The verdict is pretty much that schools vary GREATLY in this respect, so OP should go chat with someone in the registrars office.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Do everything that you can do to avoid F's on your transcript. Law schools are understanding about personal issues, since many people experience them, but only to a point.

I would go to the dean of your department and try to reach an accomodation, as has just been suggested. Undergraduate schools generally have an interest in seeing their students succeed, not fail. You would be surprised how flexible some departments can be if you are just honest with them, take responsibility for anything that's on you, and just basically say, help me deal with this.

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
govorett wrote:
Here the classes disappear of the transcript, so they don't appear at all. Unless they ask for that information specifically (or for health records) I am not sure how they would know...
Your school is nothing like mine. I have 2 medical withdrawals (which is what a withdrawal from a mental health problem would be similar to) and I have a BIG FAT "MW" all over both of those semesters in my transcripts.

The verdict is pretty much that schools vary GREATLY in this respect, so OP should go chat with someone in the registrars office.
That sucks, I am pretty sure we are at similar universities..FL State schools. Yeah, that's why I recommended to just call the dean.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:57 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Do everything that you can do to avoid F's on your transcript. Law schools are understanding about personal issues, since many people experience them, but only to a point.

I would go to the dean of your department and try to reach an accomodation, as has just been suggested. Undergraduate schools generally have an interest in seeing their students succeed, not fail. You would be surprised how flexible some departments can be if you are just honest with them, take responsibility for anything that's on you, and just basically say, help me deal with this.
This!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 pm

govorett wrote:That sucks, I am pretty sure we are at similar universities..FL State schools. Yeah, that's why I recommended to just call the dean.
Yeah. And I'm actually talking from experience at 2 Florida public universities. Both of which have the same deadlines/policies/etc.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:23 pm

govorett wrote:
Here the classes disappear off the transcript... Unless they ask for that information specifically (or for health records) I am not sure how they would know...
Many state's C&F portions ask if you have ever been treated for mental illness, especially depression, given the tendency for attorneys to experience depression.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Barbie wrote:This late in the game, its going to be very hard... but there is such a thing as a medical withdrawal-- which CAN be completed after the class is over. At my UG, though, "mental" illnesses are usually deemed excuses and not taken seriously-- but if you have a respectable doctor really go to battle for you about it, then it could work. (Essentially, my UG is opposite of govorett's... its MUCH more difficult. Hopefully you've been seeing a phsyciatrist and have proof of medicating, etc)

I wrote my addendum about getting straight As the past 2 years and am walking away from this semester with a B and a B-. :( :( :(

wanna trade?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:41 pm

OP: If you are currently struggling with depression, you may want to wait until you're well, which I know can often take more than a few months, to begin law school. The first year can be extremely difficult emotionally and physically, which may not be the best thing for you right now. Seriously.

I don't know what to tell you about the grades, but if you can do a medical withdrawal that would probably be the best idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:45 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Do everything that you can do to avoid F's on your transcript. Law schools are understanding about personal issues, since many people experience them, but only to a point.

This is basically what i've done now. the teacher is talking to the dean about letting me take some stuff that i missed for partial credit and it should be enough to give me the boost that i need to get a C or better. I'll look into the credit no credit thing but i think at this point I'd just take the C- rather than go though the headache of Credit/NC.

I'm surprised the teacher is working with me but it could all work out and that would be a load off.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:05 pm

bergg007 wrote:This is basically what i've done now. the teacher is talking to the dean about letting me take some stuff that i missed for partial credit and it should be enough to give me the boost that i need to get a C or better. I'll look into the credit no credit thing but i think at this point I'd just take the C- rather than go though the headache of Credit/NC.

I'm surprised the teacher is working with me but it could all work out and that would be a load off.
That's great! An incomplete would be even better cause it could give you the chance to pull the grade up, but anything is better than an F. Good luck!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:14 pm

bergg007 wrote:This is basically what i've done now. the teacher is talking to the dean about letting me take some stuff that i missed for partial credit and it should be enough to give me the boost that i need to get a C or better. I'll look into the credit no credit thing but i think at this point I'd just take the C- rather than go though the headache of Credit/NC.

Great to hear. Again, these folks would rather be known for your success than for your failure. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”