Any first-hand experience on Yale's "Test Prep" question? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Stanford414

New

Any first-hand experience on Yale's "Test Prep" question?

Post by Stanford414 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 am

Does anybody have any first-hand experience applying to Yale after having taken a prep course (and have an opinion on whether or not it affected their admission/rejection?)

OR

Does anybody have an opinion as to whether or not it does substantially affect admissions decisions?

I am particularly interested in how this might affect the admission/rejection of URMS...

Stanford414

New

Re: Any first-hand experience on Yale's "Test Prep" question?

Post by Stanford414 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:57 pm

bump

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Stanford414 wrote:Does anybody have any first-hand experience applying to Yale after having taken a prep course (and have an opinion on whether or not it affected their admission/rejection?)

OR

Does anybody have an opinion as to whether or not it does substantially affect admissions decisions?

I am particularly interested in how this might affect the admission/rejection of URMS...
They will, naturally, value your LSAT score slightly more if you haven't taken a course. I think that is BS because the course I took didn't help me at all. That said, don't lie. It's a pretty easy thing to get caught with.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:05 pm

I actually had this same question.
I was thinking about omitting, because I agree that if it's used in an admission's decision then it's used unfairly. Is it unwise to omit? I think I read that they require an answer for all questions in that #3 - 7 section (not sure what numbers exactly)

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Fresh wrote:I actually had this same question.
I was thinking about omitting, because I agree that if it's used in an admission's decision then it's used unfairly. Is it unwise to omit? I think I read that they require an answer for all questions in that #3 - 7 section (not sure what numbers exactly)
If you omit, they will just assume you did, or are too incompetent to fill the app out correctly, which is worse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stanford414

New

Post by Stanford414 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:16 pm

I think that is BS because the course I took didn't help me at all.
I know what you mean

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:22 pm

I was honest with them (used T-M), and it didn't hurt me. I think they're just curious.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:30 pm

d34dluk3 wrote: If you omit, they will just assume you did, or are too incompetent to fill the app out correctly, which is worse.
Actually they probably won't just assume I did, considering the reality that test prep courses are most often a reflection of socioeconomic status, in which case they'd assume I didn't.

And do you really think intentionally omitting a question demonstrates incompetency? You're probably just joking

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:31 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:I was honest with them (used T-M), and it didn't hurt me. I think they're just curious.
thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Fresh wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote: If you omit, they will just assume you did, or are too incompetent to fill the app out correctly, which is worse.
Actually they probably won't just assume I did, considering the reality that test prep courses are most often a reflection of socioeconomic status, in which case they'd assume I didn't.

And do you really think intentionally omitting a question demonstrates incompetency? You're probably just joking
I dunno, I would assume the only reason to omit the question is because you're some nutjob that thinks answering it will invalidate your score because you took a course.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 pm

paratactical wrote:
Fresh wrote:

I dunno, I would assume the only reason to omit the question is because you're some nutjob that thinks answering it will invalidate your score because you took a course.
or some nutjob that doesn't want that factor to be considered in their admissions decision. the same type of person that might omit their race??

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Fresh wrote:

I think if I were the Dean of Admissions at the most prestigious law school in the country, and I gave applicants a simple 12 step application (or whatever it is), I would be very unimpressed with anyone who was unable to fill it out correctly.

Asha is on record saying that even one typo or grammatical error is unacceptable. How is this any different?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Fresh wrote:
or some nutjob that doesn't want that factor to be considered in their admissions decision. the same type of person that might omit their race??
notsureifsrs.jpg

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cortnf

Bronze

Post by cortnf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:56 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Fresh wrote:

I think if I were the Dean of Admissions at the most prestigious law school in the country, and I gave applicants a simple 12 step application (or whatever it is), I would be very unimpressed with anyone who was unable to fill it out correctly.

Asha is on record saying that even one typo or grammatical error is unacceptable. How is this any different?
sorry to derail. even though i understand that, yes, this is yale and all your applications should be 100% perfect, i think that getting bent out of shape about a typo is absurd. /rant

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 pm

cortnf wrote:sorry to derail. even though i understand that, yes, this is yale and all your applications should be 100% perfect, i think that getting bent out of shape about a typo is absurd. /rant
You realize you're applying for a profession in which a typo can end your career, right?

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/12/drafting ... a-dodgers/

cortnf

Bronze

Post by cortnf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
cortnf wrote:sorry to derail. even though i understand that, yes, this is yale and all your applications should be 100% perfect, i think that getting bent out of shape about a typo is absurd. /rant
You realize you're applying for a profession in which a typo can end your career, right?

that doesn't look like a typo to me, "inclusive vs. exclusive" seems more like a poor grasp of the language.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 pm

cortnf wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

that doesn't look like a typo to me, "inclusive vs. exclusive" seems more like a poor grasp of the language.
Cool, man. Feel free to write Asha a letter and let her know her standards are unfair. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:30 am

Just so you 2014ers know, many of the students who were accepted to YLS last cycle (myself included) had somewhat egregious typos on their applications (look at the 2013 thread if you have the time/interest). Precision is important, but it's not everything.

private_ryan

New

Post by private_ryan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:28 am

read ashas blog post

SullaFelix

Bronze

Post by SullaFelix » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:23 am

Stanford414 wrote:Does anybody have any first-hand experience applying to Yale after having taken a prep course (and have an opinion on whether or not it affected their admission/rejection?)

OR

I just got in and took a Kaplan prep course. I disclosed this in a brief, one sentence answer to that question. I don't think it's necessarily something that will count against you — they just want as much information as possible before they make a decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”