do test prep companies drug test instructors? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hendrix

New

do test prep companies drug test instructors?

Post by hendrix » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:13 pm

i believe the title says it all...

swc65

Silver

Re: do test prep companies drug test instructors?

Post by swc65 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Yes, they absolutely do. You will not get hired if you do not have a minimum amount of traceable drugs in your system.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm

swc65 wrote:Yes, they absolutely do. You will not get hired if you do not have a minimum amount of traceable drugs in your system.
+1

lol

This industry is a hideout for lazy intellectuals. There would be few test prep teachers if the companies excluded drug users.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:35 pm

JazzOne wrote:This industry is a hideout for lazy intellectuals. There would be few test prep teachers if the companies excluded drug users.
Absolutely true. I worked for a test prep company before coming to law school and my co-workers were some of the most brilliant people I've ever met. That being said they also smoked more weed and showed up drunk to work more than anybody else I've ever met.

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:47 pm

fathergoose wrote:
JazzOne wrote:This industry is a hideout for lazy intellectuals. There would be few test prep teachers if the companies excluded drug users.
Absolutely true. I worked for a test prep company before coming to law school and my co-workers were some of the most brilliant people I've ever met. That being said they also smoked more weed and showed up drunk to work more than anybody else I've ever met.

So THIS explains my particular test prep class experience lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:49 pm

they do not. that said, with the salaries they give u, delving in expensive recreational jobs may not be very smart.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:51 pm

A LOT of these people drink. it's basically a field for smart people who want a relatively stress free job and stay at home mom/dads who want to bring in a little extra. the first kind of generally better at connecting to a class, and more inclined to party. it is generally a bad business move to drug test their employees unless drugs would interfere with their ability to teach.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:55 pm

fathergoose wrote:
lolololol

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:11 pm

The job is conducive to that lifestyle. You never have to work early in the morning and you are always finished with class early enough to go out. And once you've taught the same subject matter 10 times you can pretty much do it on auto-pilot. And not dissimilar from pilots who fly planes on auto-pilot, why not be a little buzzed while you're doing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:13 pm

i think it probably depends on who you're teaching, and how much care you want to put in, into getting a feel for how that specific individual processes information.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:21 pm

justadude55 wrote:i think it probably depends on who you're teaching, and how much care you want to put in, into getting a feel for how that specific individual processes information.
You'd be surprised. People don't process information nearly as individually as they think. Certainly there is some variety, but most people learn in pretty much the same way.

Teaching testprep for an extended period of time is kind of like being Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. It's the same type of people over and over and over again and they have the same reactions to the same things. They ask the same questions and think they have some unique problem that no one else has ever had before.

That being said it's a hell of a job. You meet a ton of people and as monotonous as it can be, the nature of the job is unpredictable enough to make it interesting.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:24 pm

i can see it definitely helping to improve social skills, and HR skills.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:26 pm

fathergoose wrote:
justadude55 wrote:i think it probably depends on who you're teaching, and how much care you want to put in, into getting a feel for how that specific individual processes information.
You'd be surprised. People don't process information nearly as individually as they think. Certainly there is some variety, but most people learn in pretty much the same way.

Teaching testprep for an extended period of time is kind of like being Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. It's the same type of people over and over and over again and they have the same reactions to the same things. They ask the same questions and think they have some unique problem that no one else has ever had before.

That being said it's a hell of a job. You meet a ton of people and as monotonous as it can be, the nature of the job is unpredictable enough to make it interesting.
I love it personally. It's the first job I really enjoyed, and I wanted to work hard for my students.

I think certain people do process information differently, and to the extent that I don't cater to them, I guess my teaching skills are poor. But I see it a little differently. I think the responsibility is on the consumer to find an instructor whose style is suitable. I put in a lot of work to come up with clever explanations and illustrations. I developed a solid reputation for my ability to explain MCAT concepts (prior to my LSAT days), and our enrollment soared even though I never individualized my methods for any student. When I left that post, the enrollment dropped immediately, and it didn't take long for word to get around that the new instructors were not as effective. I got a lot better at that job every year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:27 pm

justadude55 wrote:i can see it definitely helping to improve social skills, and HR skills.
Very true. It's more akin to performance art like stand-up comedy or acting than it is to actual teaching.

Some days you're funny and on your game and some days you suck. You start to figure out what stuff that you do works and what stuff doesn't.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:28 pm

fathergoose wrote:
justadude55 wrote:That being said it's a hell of a job. You meet a ton of people and as monotonous as it can be, the nature of the job is unpredictable enough to make it interesting.
Cocaine's a helluva drug.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”