LOR Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PubbyMcGee

New

LOR Question

Post by PubbyMcGee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:55 pm

I asked my Creative Writing teacher for a LOR. She replied saying she would gladly do it and asked if there was anything specific I wanted her to write. What should I tell her to write?

octneedy

New

Re: LOR Question

Post by octneedy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:40 am

Most schools have an LOR guidline that you can find on their website or through LSAC.

I ganked this from USC:

"We require two letters of recommendation to complete your application. The most influential letters of recommendation focus on your academic potential. They are written by people who know you well and can evaluate your academic performance. Although recommendations not pertaining to academic abilities are helpful, academic recommendations carry the most weight with the Admissions Committee. If you have been out of college for a while, then a letter from an employer would be appropriate. As this is an academic environment, we encourage employers to discuss the candidate's written and oral communication skills, leadership skills and potential for the study of law."

They're pretty general, but as long as you focus on academic ability and potential it'll be fine. Hope it helps.

edit: Also, they like it if you're compared favorably amongst peers. I told this to my profs, but I dunno if you're close enough to yours to suggest this.

PubbyMcGee

New

Post by PubbyMcGee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Thank you very much.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:27 pm

The second response here talks about LoRs, and I found it insightful:

http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admission ... ool-deans/

PubbyMcGee

New

Post by PubbyMcGee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Thank you! Very helpful!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”