Do I have work experience? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amwebb

New

Do I have work experience?

Post by amwebb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:12 pm

I have been lurking around TLS for a few months now and the impression that I have gotten about RELEVANT work experience has been that it only impacts admission decisions is if it law related or vastly unique.
I ask because I have worked at a retail store for my entire undergrad and spent the last two years as a manager there. So my real question is whether or not my work experience is indeed work experience.
I'm taking the LSAT in October, so if my w/e isn't sufficient I have a little time to add to it.

merichard87

Silver

Re: Do I have work experience?

Post by merichard87 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:15 pm

It's work experience but for the purposes of law school admissions it may not be the type of WE that gets you into the admit/wait-list pile instead of reject.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:23 pm

WE = Post-Grad. Your undergrad retail job does not count.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:24 pm

merichard87 wrote:It's work experience but for the purposes of law school admissions it may not be the type of WE that gets you into the admit/wait-list pile instead of reject.
Qualified +1. OP: full time or part time?

amwebb

New

Post by amwebb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:28 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
merichard87 wrote:It's work experience but for the purposes of law school admissions it may not be the type of WE that gets you into the admit/wait-list pile instead of reject.
Qualified +1. OP: full time or part time?
Full time. I'm in Detroit & my mothers factory shut down a month before my freshman year started, so I've really had no choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 pm

I would definitely work that in your PS. Not sure how your GPA is, but working full-time throughout undergrad, especially out of need, certainly couldn't hurt. Also, emphasize relevant skills that it instilled in you: work ethic, emotional maturity, ability to juggle responsibilities, etc.

amwebb

New

Post by amwebb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:36 pm

amorfati wrote:I would definitely work that in your PS. Not sure how your GPA is, but working full-time throughout undergrad, especially out of need, certainly couldn't hurt. Also, emphasize relevant skills that it instilled in you: work ethic, emotional maturity, ability to juggle responsibilities, etc.
Thanks I'll definitely do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”