UC Hastings - LEOP Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:43 pm

Mine is narrative too, I just don't think that I need to have three pages of a LEOP statement for them to understand that I have faced challenges that will add value to their school.

But I'm not trying to criticize your essay. It is just that some people can write a good essay in two pages, and some can't.

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:44 pm

You can't criticize my essay if you haven't read it. :D

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:45 pm

You're criticizing mine and you haven't read it. :D

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:46 pm

I said 521 words seems short and I don't think i could do that. That's not criticism. :D :D

Origin

New

Post by Origin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:46 pm

Does being a URM make someone autoadmit through this program? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:50 pm

I don't think it's that cut and dry, Kayos. They say you need to demonstrate significant adversity. (they italicize significant in the application.) And then they give you some considerations you might include in your claim.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Mine is taking a narrative format though and shows a bit of personality.
Sorry, you making it seem like mine isn't showing a "bit of personality" because it isn't as long as your sounds like criticism to me.

Does being a URM make someone autoadmit through this program?
I hope so, because that would be fabulous!!!

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Lishi, I was more talking to myself than at your 521 word essay that I have never read before. I'm sure you can write a wonderful essay in 521 words, I'm just impressed you got yours that short and am wondering what I could do to shorten mine as well.

Good luck if you decide to apply to Hastings through the LEOP program.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:58 pm

Thanks!!! Good luck to you too!!

It's a really good program, I think more schools should offer programs like it. Or do a lot of schools offer these types of programs, and I just don't know about them??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:06 pm

Thanks. I would love to be in the LEOP program.

I know the University of Hawaii has a similar program called the Ulu Lehua program. I'm not sure about other California schools though.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:45 pm

Does anyone know anything about Hastings residence hall Towers. Is it hard to get an apartment here?? Are they nice apartments??

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:02 pm

There is one big tower. It's hard to get a spot so you better get on the list as soon as you get accepted if you want to live there. It's in a crummy neighborhood (as is the school) but if you don't mind that, it's not a bad place to live. It's got a dorm-like environment and most of the rooms are studios that run anywhere from 900-1100 depending on what floor you get. There are limited 1 bedrooms and some efficiencies (really small). The building is old and the rooms are pretty plain with some exposed pipes and really old fixtures but it's not too shabby. There are several other options though.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:53 pm

Would you like to elaborate on the other options that students seek out. I know San Francisco is expensive to live, so I just want to know what students do about housing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:57 pm

One option is UCSF Mission Bay, where I live, which is 20 minutes south taking the MUNI. You need to hop on the waiting list for this place too. The thing about here, its about 800 a month but you would have to live with 3 other people you don't know but they will be grad or professional students. It's also WAY nicer, cleaner and safer than the tower. If not MB then you can just hunt for an apartment on your own which I'd say a good chunk of students do, maybe about 20%, where you can find pretty competitive pricing, usually around $11-1200 for a studio. There's plenty of nice areas near school where you can walk from like Nob Hill and Haight and theres places where you can just grab a Bart or Muni from like the Mission and the Sunset or the Marina (which is a bit more car-friendly). You can find places on Craigslist very easily as well.

colbytim25

New

Post by colbytim25 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:08 pm

i wrote about a four page LEOP essay re: messed up child hood (incl abuse), absentee parents. i have a 3.57 GPA. LSAT will be in feb. any thoughts on my chances? what lsat would give me a good shot? im pretty happy with my LEOP chances, but not happy about what has happened to me, obviously.

thanks!

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:57 pm

Your GPA is solid. A mid 160 should give you a very strong chance considering other factors of your application.

colbytim25

New

Post by colbytim25 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:01 pm

but i applied LEOP. i thought their stats were a bit lower?

im studying around 157-8 now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:27 pm

You said you wanted a good shot didn't you? Their median from 2 years ago was in the 156 or 158 range. Being in the median does not = a good shot; a decent one at best. Also, I always tell people that whatever score they're aiming for on the LSAT, they should be practicing 5 to 6 points higher on a consistent basis because no one can duplicate the environment and feel of the real thing.

Second, Hastings just hired a fully staffed professional admissions committee this year (something that has been lacking for the past few years due to the lack of state funding that for the large part was cut down in 2002) and the dean is trying to pump up our rankings. This means it will be more competitive and harder to get into. They just changed the entire admissions policy this year to reflect a more aggressive attitude.

Third, Hastings does not want think that LEOP is an easy way to get in. The fact that LEOP applicants generally do have lower numbers is a result of their hardships and struggles and Hastings is willing to take a more holistic perspective on these applicants in weighing their overall potential. This does not mean that they are lowering the bar; this just means that they are more generous in allowing LEOP applicants to show that they were able to excel in academics despite shortcomings and challenges that are a result of things beyond their control.

Finally, keep in mind that there is an influential handful of student body and administration that do not see the LEOP program in the "brightest light." Thus, what I am predicting in this next cycle is a higher level of scrutiny in general but particularly for LEOP students because LEOP needs to prove to the school that it is attracting students from a diverse range of backgrounds that bring with them unique strengths and qualities not found in "traditional" students and that these students can excel in law school. If LEOP fails to do this, they will lose support and funding.

colbytim25

New

Post by colbytim25 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:21 pm

i appreciate the candor. yes, i realize it is not an EASY way to slip in, but do feel like the obstacles i have faced warrant some serious consideration. being abused for years and basically raising myself left me a little out in the dark. do you think this falls into the realm of leop consideration?

i have always been very impressed with leop. i just moved from boston and have for a long time wanted to know more about it.

thanks for your help.

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:17 am

Not to sound callous but realistically, abuse alone will not exactly make you stand out. LEOP is not looking for stories that simply talk of hardships and tragedies, everyone has dealt with some at one point or another. So, when you do write your application, don't go off the edge in emphasizing the severity of your struggles; this should not be your focus as such stories are not very difficult to fabricate. I would focus more on expressing your unique perspective on the world as a result of your struggles and how this has contributed to your achievements and to who you are today.

colbytim25

New

Post by colbytim25 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:40 pm

i didnt overly focus on the abuse, and emphasized how it served as motivational in spite of hardships.

i really appreciate your guidance. thanks a ton.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mberg42

New

Re: UC Hastings - LEOP

Post by mberg42 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:15 pm

anyone have any experience with LEOP admissions this year? I'm still waiting on a decision, is it wise to ask them about it? Deadlines are a coming...

allenfa

New

Post by allenfa » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Bump...anyone go to an information session this year or know a bit more about the program?

NoamChomsky

New

Post by NoamChomsky » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:06 am

Bump... I applied LEOP... and I was deffered back in December. Anyone get into Hastings through LEOP yet?

azurebrunette

New

Post by azurebrunette » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:18 am

I wonder, too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”