UC Hastings - LEOP Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
niner3030

New

UC Hastings - LEOP

Post by niner3030 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:21 pm

Anyone else applying to the LEOP at Hastings? I have heard that even if you apply to the program you may not be accepted to it but still be accepted to the school. Has anyone else heard this?

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:22 am

Yes, this is true. If your numbers and soft factors are good enough, you may still get in the regular program. However, if you can get into LEOP, I would highly recommend it.

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:44 am

if you can get into LEOP, I would highly recommend it.
Do they turn away students who have high enough #s to gain regular admission?

niner3030

New

Post by niner3030 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:25 pm

I saw that the median range for LSAT and GPA were lower than for regular admission

The median LSAT score for a LEOP student is between 152 and 156. The median grade point average is 3.20 to 3.40.

If you have high enough numbers I think it would have to be harder to show how the disadvantages you claim have adversely affected you. I hope I can get in because even though my GPA is way above the range for the program, my current LSAT score fits right into the range.

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:15 am

Do they turn away students who have high enough #s to gain regular admission?
No. LEOP isn't about numbers, it's about your background. Ideally the program is looking for candidates with high numbers coupled with a background that meets LEOP criteria.
If you have high enough numbers I think it would have to be harder to show how the disadvantages you claim have adversely affected you.
This is not true. Having higher numbers will actually help you since it shows that despite any disadvantages and obstacles that may have greatly hindered most people, you had the ability and resolve to overcome them. Also, Hastings (including LEOP) is becoming more selective beginning this term as they have just hired a very comprehensive, professional admissions committee in an effort to boost our rankings. The last few years, the admissions committee has sort of been in a state of dismay and Hastings has been working hard in reconstructing the admissions policy. The new policy that will be instituted by the end of this month. Unfortunately, in an attempt to boost rankings, they may be increasing fees as well.

The reason why I know this is that I'm a member of ASUCH, the student government at Hastings, and we've been discussing the new admissions policy quite a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:22 am

Thanks for the insight LSATnooblet!

How many applicants are selected for LEOP each year?

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:50 pm

20% of the entering class which works out to approximately 80 students total.

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:04 pm

Wow, 20% seems like an impressive number. Thanks.

edsbored

New

Post by edsbored » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:55 pm

What kind of "extraordinary background" is LEOP really looking to enroll?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:40 am

All your questions and then some can be answered here:

http://www.uchastings.edu/?pid=138

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:40 am

Thanks. Nice program.

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:22 am

For those who are applying to LEOP, have you completed the 13 questions yet?

I seem to be answering many questions like they are mini personal-statements. Are you doing the same or are you giving short answers?

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:31 am

And for:
10. Were you employed during college? Please indicate where, job title or position description, and the number of hours worked.
Does that include summer and winter breaks too?

(Sorry, if this seems like a dumb question. :oops: )

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

niner3030

New

Post by niner3030 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:50 am

For those who are applying to LEOP, have you completed the 13 questions yet?
Where are you finding those questions? I looked at an application from last year and they had a list of questions, but the application on LSAC just has instructions to write provide information if your situation fits into economic adversity, educational adversity, etc and has a table.

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:41 pm

niner...ok, cool. I downloaded the paper app from the website in early Sep. Looks like it was last year's app - doesn't have a date on it! But I see the new app now.

Thanks a lot.

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:48 pm

they eliminated the questions this year

harshdadude

New

Post by harshdadude » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:22 am

can you do early decision and LEOP?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

niner3030

New

Post by niner3030 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:33 am

can you do early decision and LEOP?
No

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:11 am

For those who are doing the LEOP essay, how long are you making yours? 2 pgs? 700 words? More?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:52 am

For those who are doing the LEOP essay, how long are you making yours? 2 pgs? 700 words? More?
I'm still debating about whether or not I'm going to apply to Hastings at all, but if I do then I will be applying to LEOP. My essay is 521 words, so like a page and half.

LSATnooblet: I'm from SF, and I know the area that Hastings is in. Do you feel safe on campus??? Do the women feel safe studying in the library late, and then having to take Bart or walk to their car at night??? This is my biggest worry about applying their. But then again I also know that Nordstrom is very close by. hmmmmm decisions

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:14 pm

Woah, 521 words is short. I'm not sure I could do that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LSATnooblet

New

Post by LSATnooblet » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:00 pm

LSATnooblet: I'm from SF, and I know the area that Hastings is in. Do you feel safe on campus??? Do the women feel safe studying in the library late, and then having to take Bart or walk to their car at night??? This is my biggest worry about applying their. But then again I also know that Nordstrom is very close by. hmmmmm decisions
Everyone feels very safe on campus. Though we might be in the Tenderloin, we're at the very southern border of it meaning we're a block away from Market and yes, Nordstrom, Bloomies and all your favorite shops in that ginormous mall is a 5 minute walk away. I just went to that mall today actually. Girls are always in the library late at night and it's not a problem. Just don't walk north from the school and you're okay. Also, we always have a policeman on campus that will personally walk girls to the Bart/Muni station or to your home if you're not too far. Hastings also run a shuttle service that leaves every 30 mins or so that covers a pretty wide radius. I know a LOT of girls use and abuse that thing and its free so why not. If you can't find a guard to walk you somewhere, there's always guys in the library that will. I've walked girls to places all the time and it's no big deal.

in my eyes

New

Post by in my eyes » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:01 pm

Also, we always have a policeman on campus that will personally walk girls to the Bart/Muni station or to your home if you're not too far
This dude has the best job on campus

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:30 pm

Woah, 521 words is short. I'm not sure I could do that.
Is it really that short?? I don't think you need to write a 1000 word essay, for something that can be said in 500 words and is well written. They can see through someone just writing and going on to fill up a page.

HonoluluHopeful

New

Post by HonoluluHopeful » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:35 pm

I'm already up to 583 and I haven't finished yet. Mine is taking a narrative format though and shows a bit of personality. I'm thinking of just presenting my case in a drier format and hoping I meet their criteria.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”