How do you think law schools should be ranked? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thelaststraw05

Silver

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:44 pm

elegally wrote:bump.

good answers so far. but how could you develop a system that would actually track real employment statistics? It seems like it would be pretty difficult.
Agreed. I think though that the most important thing would be to have a single third party consultant who did the post-graduation surveys for EVERY school that wished to be ranked. The main problem is that the schools each collect their own statistics and this creates an atmosphere where the schools are encouraged to "cheat."

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Law schools should be ranked by average starting salary, counting unreported graduates as zero.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Employment prospects. Nothing else matters.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:56 pm

I don't think they need to be ranked. People will know what the top schools are with or without a magazine to tell them.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 am

Placement power.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:46 am

by awesomeness (yea, it exists :shock: )

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:42 am

It would be interesting to see a ranking of law schools based on promiscuity, they should put that in maxim for me to read some time (shoutout to dealnews.com for finding me a free 1 yr subscription).

But really, I think law schools should be ranked in whatever way the god-loving capitalist market deems they should be ranked in the best only journal that does so.

Just to get it out of the way, I know there are other ranking systems out there, but who gives a fuck?

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:44 am

promiscuity

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:19 pm

By number of embarrassing undergraduates

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:49 pm

I've said it before, but the best way would be annual donations (excluding bequests) divided by class size. It shows a) availability of resources b) income of alumni c) pleasure/displeasure of alumni with their job prospects, experience, etc. d) faith of non-alums (firms, businesses, etc.) in the quality of the schools education/students.

ohlawl

New

Post by ohlawl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Doesn't that come with the assumption that if you have the money, then you will donate? I am sure lots of people are pleased with their alma mater and still do not donate.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:36 pm

ohlawl wrote:Doesn't that come with the assumption that if you have the money, then you will donate? I am sure lots of people are pleased with their alma mater and still do not donate.
Schools will have a doubly-strong reason to get out and solicit money, since there will be a multiplier on any current donations (current donations->better ranking->better students->better reputation->better placement->more satisfied students-> more future donations)

And, if you hold everything else constant, and assume all students are equally rich and satisfied, there's no reason to think one school's alumni would be more likely to donate than others, so any variance should be based on a) the effectiveness of the school's fundraising infrastructure and b) people's perception of the value of the institution.

youarereadingthis

New

Post by youarereadingthis » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:08 pm

I think I have some practical ideas. My answer is a raw score mix of the following:

1. Law Review prestige: the amount of times the school's student edited law review(s) are quoted by judges in court. Higher levels of court give the school a greater boost.

2. Moot Court competition results.

3. Placement: (a) the amount of clerkships attained by the graduating class as a percentage; higher levels of court give the school a greater boost (b) the average salary in the private sector of the graduating class (non reporting students are zeroes) (c) the average salary in the public sector of the graduating class (non reporting students are counted as zeroes for a second time).

4. Bar Passage Rates

5. Diversity of Courses

6. Library resources available to the student and faculty

7. Professor/student ratio

8. Adjunct/Full time professor ratio

9. Student and professorial racial diversity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Just saw this ranking by shownprove which ranks by NLJ250 + federal clerkships. Pretty good shit.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:56 pm

I think Employment Prospects is what matters most and all the schools are lying about their prospects except probably HYS.

US News should say they are revamping the way they evaluate employment statistics so that school's can save face when they have been reporting like 90%+ employment with like 10% reporting.

Create a metric where you only measure "legal" jobs to get rid of the starbucks kids, and for every non-reporting graduate you penalize the school enough that it is in their best interest to get every student reporting even if they are unemployed or working a shit job.

The 2 problems with reporting currently IMO is (1) the selective reponse rate (with schools only seeking responses from employed/successful new grads) and (2) reporting the employment % without considering the type of employment.

Practically, with no other publications or the ABA stepping up, I think you have to work within US News to correct abuses of their system, knowing the law schools as a general rule are unethical, lying, and completely self interested to the detriment of future law students. :evil:

IfByWhiskey770

New

Post by IfByWhiskey770 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Employment is king.

And the real problem is the ABA.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Distance between the library and the nearest bar where you can get a brandy alexander without the bartender having to look at a book.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:26 pm

ahduth wrote:Distance between the library and the nearest bar where you can get a brandy alexander without the bartender having to look at a book.
Or you could go with brandy in a snifter, which is both easy and a better use of brandy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”