Out on bail...awaiting trial/settlement - Wait to apply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
outonbail

New

Out on bail...awaiting trial/settlement - Wait to apply?

Post by outonbail » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:07 pm

I think I know the answer to this question already, but I want to get some feedback to confirm...

I'm out on bail awaiting trial on a felony business and professions code violation (obviously non-violent). The legal proceedings have been going on for almost 3 years and there is still no trial date. This legal issue is precisely the reason I've been motivated to go to law school - no person should have to go through what I've been through and sadly, I know there are much, much worse cases of government abuse. It's a sad, broken system. Blah, blah...

If my case does go to trial, it wouldn't start until May 2011 at the earliest and my attorney says it could be much later in the year, if it happens at all.

I'm 35, I've already done a business masters program, I've made millions of dollars, I've seen the world, I have great grades/lsat score...I'm really, really wanting to go to law school to make the rest of my life more meaningful, help others and be an advocate for change, but I think it will be nearly impossible for any admissions officer to ignore this unresolved issue, right??

I don't want to wait another year to apply (assuming this issue is resolved in my favor, which I think it will be because it's totally wasteful, government bullsh**), but my gut says I should not apply now since it's too unlikely I'll be admitted.

Anyone else feel differently??

paratactical

Platinum

Re: Out on bail...awaiting trial/settlement - Wait to apply?

Post by paratactical » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:10 pm

You should probably wait until more than a year after the trial/settlement. Business and professions violations are more likely to give you a difficult time of passing the bar than pretty much any other kind of legal trouble. You should ask the attorney you have in the matter his advice with regards to passing the bar.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”