Where to apply early decision? (Northwestern or UVA) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Flustercluck

Bronze

Where to apply early decision? (Northwestern or UVA)

Post by Flustercluck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:46 pm

So, I'm having an 11th-hour second-guessing episode as to where to apply under binding early decision. My first impulse was Northwestern, but there's a lingering doubt in the back of my head that is saying UVA.

Stats - URM (Black/Mexican), GPA under 3.0, 168 best LSAT (retake is not an option), 3 years WE (Political consulting, multiple promotions, management level),

I know on paper NU makes the most sense of any of the T14. Any T14 is probably a longshot, so i'm trying to improve my odds with the ED applications. I enjoyed NU it when I visited and interviewed on campus, but for some indefineable reason I feel like based on the application elements and supplementary essays, my UVA application would look stronger.

I am equally interested in both schools, it's simply a matter of which one would be more likely to grant me admission. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Last edited by Flustercluck on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: Where to apply early decision?

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:48 pm

NU probably. I've heard UVA has a soft floor at 3.0. I don't know if they break it for URM's though.

edgarfigaro

Bronze

Re: Where to apply early decision? (Northwestern or UVA)

Post by edgarfigaro » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:01 pm

Too late for northwestern ED, no?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:04 pm

In at either. Pick which you like better.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:21 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:NU probably. I've heard UVA has a soft floor at 3.0. I don't know if they break it for URM's though.
I don't think so. They dinged a <3.0/177 URM (Mex) ED this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:32 pm

I vote for NU since they're much more forgiving of sub-3.0 GPAs. Your 3 years of management-level WE would help there too.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:39 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:NU probably. I've heard UVA has a soft floor at 3.0. I don't know if they break it for URM's though.
Flame.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:48 pm

rayiner wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
Flame.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3180275
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4#p3576264

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:57 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
I didn't look at that but OP said he's Black/Mexican. Black and Mexican is way different than just Mexican. ED at either should get him in. However, from reading his post and looking at his background he should go to NU. I am curious where he's interested in working though. To be safe I would probably just put Black on his app if I were him. If he does that he has a legit shot at any school outside of HYS Berkely and Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:03 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
I didn't look at that but OP said he's Black/Mexican. Black and Mexican is way different than just Mexican. ED at either should get him in. However, from reading his post and looking at his background he should go to NU. I am curious where he's interested in working though. To be safe I would probably just put Black on his app if I were him. If he does that he has a legit shot at any school outside of HYS Berkely and Duke.
AA gets a bigger boost than MX. However, we don't know how far below 3.0 he is. And the boost helps more with LSAT than GPA. And 168 is much less impressive than 177.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. Maybe there was something wrong with the other guy's app. But it's not a sure thing.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 pm

Yeah the trend generally seems to be that URM's get excused more for lower LSATs and high GPAs than high LSAT and sub 3.0 GPAs.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:29 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Yeah the trend generally seems to be that URM's get excused more for lower LSATs and high GPAs than high LSAT and sub 3.0 GPAs.
which makes sense given the 5-10 point LSAT achievement gap for URMs compared to the much smaller GPA achievement gap. In other words, LSAT may underpredict URM performance in law school, but not GPA.

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:59 pm

I vote NU

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:34 pm

plenipotentiary wrote: AA gets a bigger boost than MX. However, we don't know how far below 3.0 he is. And the boost helps more with LSAT than GPA. And 168 is much less impressive than 177.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. Maybe there was something wrong with the other guy's app. But it's not a sure thing
Trust me, I know from personal experience, unless he has something sub 2.8 he'll get NU doing ED. Hell at NU he might still get in sub 2.8. UVA is the one that's a bit iffy, but NU sounds like a better fit for him. A 168 is an extremely high LSAT score for a Black male applicant and NU doesn't care about GPA much if you have substantive WE combined with a good LSAT. They'll gobble him up.

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:28 am

BruceWayne wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote: AA gets a bigger boost than MX. However, we don't know how far below 3.0 he is. And the boost helps more with LSAT than GPA. And 168 is much less impressive than 177.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. Maybe there was something wrong with the other guy's app. But it's not a sure thing
Trust me, I know from personal experience, unless he has something sub 2.8 he'll get NU doing ED. Hell at NU he might still get in sub 2.8. UVA is the one that's a bit iffy, but NU sounds like a better fit for him. A 168 is an extremely high LSAT score for a Black male applicant and NU doesn't care about GPA much if you have substantive WE combined with a good LSAT. They'll gobble him up.
Ironically, my LDAS GPA is actually 2.68 (School GPA is a 2.9).

Is it that dramatic of a difference?

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:37 am

Flustercluck wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I'd say chances are still good, but not great.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:39 am

Flustercluck wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I think UVA is a reach even with super URM status with that GPA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:53 am

Flustercluck wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

With that low of a GPA, NU is definitely the better bet.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Forget about UVA OP. Honestly, if you want top 14 ED to NU last month. Good luck.

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Ended up applying to NU (Deadline Dec. 1). We'll see how things go, thanks to everyone for the advice!

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Flustercluck wrote:Ended up applying to NU (Deadline Dec. 1). We'll see how things go, thanks to everyone for the advice!
Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”