BEST schools to transfer FROM Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hendrix

New

BEST schools to transfer FROM

Post by hendrix » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 pm

stupid idea, and i know that the standard answer is "only go to a school you'd like to attend."

i want to go into academia, but i can only get lower t14 because of my bad gpa (splitter).

do they consider the quality of the school when admitting transfers, or just at the absolute rank? (i.e. would i be better off going to the best (ranked) school i can get into, or going to a t2?)

perhaps i should split the difference and take $$ from wustl/vandy/notre dame?

are there any "feeder" schools for hys (or even ccn)?

i've also heard that loyola-la actually tries to retain top students by not releasing grades in time for transfer deadlines. do other schools screw students over like this?

tea_drinker

Silver

Re: BEST schools to transfer FROM

Post by tea_drinker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:04 pm

I want to know what ppl think about this too, though I am not planning going into academia.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Go to lower t14 because there if you fail to get top 10% and transfer, at least you have a decent prospect at getting a job.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:26 pm

the exact ranking of which schools are best to transfer from can be found here:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s/rankings

hendrix

New

Post by hendrix » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:35 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Go to lower t14 because there if you fail to get top 10% and transfer, at least you have a decent prospect at getting a job.
due to regional perception, i think that the t2 i have in mind might actually place almost as well as a t14, plus i wouldn't have TONS OF DEBT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:49 pm

I did lower T14->HYS. My 1L school was the best school I could get into, because I was also a splitter.

If you'd be happy graduating from the T14 anyway (because of the whole "don't plan on transferring" thing, which I strongly urge you to listen to), then go to the T14. There does seem to be a little more latitude given to T14s than people at lower-ranked schools, generally.

That way your options are better no matter what happens. If you get excellent grades, you can either try to transfer, or likely stay and be on LR and have awesome employment options either way. If you're not quite good enough for either, you're still in a better spot than if you'd gotten the same grades at a T30. If you get mediocre grades you'll struggle to find work ITE, but struggle less than if you went to the T30.

Those are my thoughts. Transferring is a long shot; 100% of the students at a lower T14 were chosen because of something that indicated potential for success, and they'll (nearly) all want to do well and make the time and money worth it, and yet 80-90% of them won't end up with what it takes to transfer up. It's even worse (assuming HYS is your goal) as you go down the rankings. By the time you're in T2 territory you're looking at needing top 1-2%, which means 98% of your class won't make it.

Sure, if you're at a T30 or a T2 you might not need top 1% to transfer to the T14, but if you can get into the T14 in the first place, why not just start there?

hendrix

New

Post by hendrix » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:you're still in a better spot than if you'd gotten the same grades at a T30.
but wouldn't it be EASIER to pwn at a school where i'm well above the 75th percentile lsat?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:13 pm

hendrix wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:you're still in a better spot than if you'd gotten the same grades at a T30.
but wouldn't it be EASIER to pwn at a school where i'm well above the 75th percentile lsat?
Yes. Law schools give out 1L grades based on LSAT. Therefore, you will, with absolute certainty, be in the top 25% of your class.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:21 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
hendrix wrote:
Yes. Law schools give out 1L grades based on LSAT. Therefore, you will, with absolute certainty, be in the top 25% of your class.
+180.
Don't be so sarcastic though. He's proved his ability to get good grades in undergrad, so he'll be fine. Wait, ahh

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Another thing to consider is that the transferee school's seem to like schools from the same region. Ex: almost all the berkeley transfers this year are from CA schools or schools west of the Mississippi.

EDIT: may be more true for bigger jumps in rankings

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:40 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
hendrix wrote:
+180.
Don't be so sarcastic though. He's proved his ability to get good grades in undergrad, so he'll be fine. Wait, ahh
This was heard coming from one of my section's gunners:

"I'm probably gonna get all As because I never got less than an A- in college."

hendrix

New

Post by hendrix » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:48 pm

JPU wrote:Another thing to consider is that the transferee school's seem to like schools from the same region. Ex: almost all the berkeley transfers this year are from CA schools or schools west of the Mississippi.

EDIT: may be more true for bigger jumps in rankings
so cornell>michigan? if i'm gunning for H, should i consider bc/u (maybe the profs are drinking buddies with H profs?)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”