Anyone with multiple LSATs get into UVA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pppokerface

Bronze

Anyone with multiple LSATs get into UVA?

Post by pppokerface » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:41 am

I'm on the admissions site, and reading the faq, but just wanted to know about any personal experiences
What is your policy on multiple LSAT scores?
The ABA requires law schools to report LSAT information using an admitted student’s highest score, so that is the score to which we give the most weight. We evaluate all information submitted as part of the application for admission, however, including all scores earned on the LSAT. Studies by the Law School Admission Council suggest that in most cases the average score is the most accurate predictor of academic performance in the first year of law school, so we encourage applicants with a significant difference in LSAT scores to include with their application any information that may be relevant to the interpretation of test results, such as illness, testing conditions, or other circumstances that may have affected LSAT performance.
I'm a cancel, 150s, 168/3.8X, and I think I have a marginal shot if I ED...if they don't mind my multiple scores
edit-I should mention that I'm applying next cycle, and will get in my apps 9/1
Last edited by pppokerface on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ads222

Bronze

Re: Anyone with multiple LSATs get into UVA?

Post by ads222 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Last edited by ads222 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommynobody

New

Post by tommynobody » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Very few schools average anymore. UVA is not one of them.

You might want to write an addendum to explain the big jump though.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:08 pm

You are above median GPA, your shot at ED is good. Just write an addendum and you should be fine, but get your app in ASAP if you are going to do it.

They have accepted reverse splitters already with LSATs 5-6 points lower than yours, though I don't know how important it is to hit their GPA 75th number, which you are .04 off of.

Wolverhoo

New

Post by Wolverhoo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 pm

161, 164, 172 in with no addendum. Accepted within a couple weeks of applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:33 pm

ads222 wrote:
pppokerface wrote:I'm on the admissions site, and reading the faq, but just wanted to know about any personal experiences
The ABA requires law schools to report LSAT information using an admitted student’s highest score, so that is the score to which we give the most weight. We evaluate all information submitted as part of the application for admission, however, including all scores earned on the LSAT. Studies by the Law School Admission Council suggest that in most cases the average score is the most accurate predictor of academic performance in the first year of law school, so we encourage applicants with a significant difference in LSAT scores to include with their application any information that may be relevant to the interpretation of test results, such as illness, testing conditions, or other circumstances that may have affected LSAT performance.
I'm a cancel, 150s, 168/3.88, and I think I have a marginal shot if I ED...if they don't mind my multiple scores
look at the admitted uva students on law school numbers (seeing how it breaks down is basically why i'm not ed'ing to uva). by and large, uva seems to be using ed (and very early rd, i guess) admits to bring up/protect either median. most of the admitted applicants have either 170+ or 3.9+
ohh boy I stopped looking at medians and more at the 25/75%
should have done that in the first place, guess I have a pretty nill shot
gah

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 pm

pppokerface wrote:
ads222 wrote:
pppokerface wrote:I'm on the admissions site, and reading the faq, but just wanted to know about any personal experiences
I'm a cancel, 150s, 168/3.88, and I think I have a marginal shot if I ED...if they don't mind my multiple scores
look at the admitted uva students on law school numbers (seeing how it breaks down is basically why i'm not ed'ing to uva). by and large, uva seems to be using ed (and very early rd, i guess) admits to bring up/protect either median. most of the admitted applicants have either 170+ or 3.9+
ohh boy I stopped looking at medians and more at the 25/75%
should have done that in the first place, guess I have a pretty nill shot
gah
with a 3.88 and a 168 if you ED, I would put your chances of acceptance at greater than 80%.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:39 pm

I had a 157 ->170 with a 3.4. Sent in brief addendum (I actually was sick for my 157) and ED form last January (I deferred). Got in after a couple days.

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:46 pm

I had three LSAT scores (my latest one was 170) and 3.5, applied ED, got in the next day
edit: I wrote an addendum though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:I had a 157 ->170 with a 3.4. Sent in brief addendum (I actually was sick for my 157) and ED form last January (I deferred). Got in after a couple days.
I have the exact same numbers, retake and all. Are you in state or no? I'm an in state RD to UVa and seriously considering changing it to ED.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 pm

oscodasa wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:I had a 157 ->170 with a 3.4. Sent in brief addendum (I actually was sick for my 157) and ED form last January (I deferred). Got in after a couple days.
I have the exact same numbers, retake and all. Are you in state or no? I'm an in state RD to UVa and seriously considering changing it to ED.
Weird! Nope I'm out of state. My guess is if you went ED, you'd be a lock.

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:22 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
oscodasa wrote:
I'm an inch away from doing it. I'm worried that I'm out RD since he class is filling up so quickly and I haven't heard back yet.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:26 pm

oscodasa wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
oscodasa wrote:
I'm an inch away from doing it. I'm worried that I'm out RD since he class is filling up so quickly and I haven't heard back yet.
What other schools are you holding out for?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:32 pm

oscodasa wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
oscodasa wrote:

I would put your chances RD at 50/50 or better, since you are from VA. ED your chances are 100%.

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:15 pm

^^^^^^^Congrats on these awesome 170s!
I guess I'll just ED next Sept and see what happens. LSAT is weighed a bit more (in my opinion) so I'm feeling insecure, but we'll see! I guess that if I don't get in (along with the other schools I'm looking at)...I can retake =/

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Here's where I am right now...

I have non-binding EA's out at Cornell and Texas, though I'm not holding out much hope for TX since I'm OOS and with a GPA far below their median. I have not visited Cornell but I have read much about Ithaca and feel that it would be a good fit for me (I'm vegan, very liberal, etc.) I also like the sincere work ethic their students seem to possess and my long-term boyfriend (who will be following me wherever I go) has family in Connecticut, so it would be good for them as well. I'm not a huge fan of the cold but I can get over that. As a result, I would love to have this as an option, but have not yet gone to visit, which could potentially sway my opinion dramatically.

Other schools that I've applied to that have the potential to outweigh UVa are Northwestern, Berkeley, Chicago and Michigan. Other schools are Georgetown, UCLA, Vanderbilt, WUSTL and BU, but I'm not sure if those could override UVa.

I would like to keep my options open but I'm beginning to worry that I'm not getting in RD since I haven't heard back yet (I applied over 2 weeks ago) and their class is filling up fast. I have been to UVa and absolutely love it and am worried that I'll miss my window of opportunity with them but am equally worried about closing a door to another school that could also be a great fit for me,

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm a 161 and a 165 3.89 GPA from out of state.

In at UVA ED. I didn't write an LSAT addenda. 4 points was not worth it. Your jumps may warrant it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:54 pm

kelc213 wrote:I'm a 161 and a 165 3.89 GPA from out of state.

In at UVA ED. I didn't write an LSAT addenda. 4 points was not worth it. Your jumps may warrant it.
I did submit an addendum, as well as a "Why UVA" addendum. 3 years WE (building a career, not random jobs or anything) with most of it being within VA politics (not sure if that's worth anything or not). Also internships throughout most of college that fed into career and strong LORs from employers.

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:59 pm

oscodasa wrote: I did submit an addendum, as well as a "Why UVA" addendum. 3 years WE (building a career, not random jobs or anything) with most of it being within VA politics (not sure if that's worth anything or not). Also internships throughout most of college that fed into career and strong LORs from employers.
You probably have a decent shot at NU

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:02 pm

McDeere wrote:
oscodasa wrote: I did submit an addendum, as well as a "Why UVA" addendum. 3 years WE (building a career, not random jobs or anything) with most of it being within VA politics (not sure if that's worth anything or not). Also internships throughout most of college that fed into career and strong LORs from employers.
Enough to cancel out my seemingly mediocre GPA?

Is NW the only school that gives significant weight to WE? I know it's very important to them but does everyone else just pass it by?

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:03 pm

You are my inspiration lol! non-urm right? mind if I ask when you applied?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:06 pm

oscodasa wrote:
McDeere wrote:
Enough to cancel out my seemingly mediocre GPA?

Is NW the only school that gives significant weight to WE? I know it's very important to them but does everyone else just pass it by?
Definitely more so than other top schools

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:11 pm

pppokerface wrote:

You are my inspiration lol! non-urm right? mind if I ask when you applied?
Non-URM. Applied 11/9.

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:36 pm

In at UVa with a 157, 170/3.46 RD in state.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”