Problem with LORs with schools I've already applied to Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thelibear

New

Problem with LORs with schools I've already applied to

Post by thelibear » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi TLS,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum and sadly it's my fault for not reading the fine print...I was under the impression that you could still apply to schools even if you had information missing, such as an LOR or an LSAT score. My second LOR is missing because my advisor is really delayed in sending it out (so frustrating!!), but since all of my other materials are ready to go, I started submitting applications to schools. I applied to Berkeley & SCU (yes, huge range, but go with me) and after I applied I saw the checklist...so I read it, and it said that at the time of submission, whatever you have on file is what they will read. To me, this sounds as though they will not receive my second LOR. When I look at my completed applications, lsac notes that only the first LOR has been sent to the schools. I'm unclear if this is because the second LOR isn't in yet so they haven't sent it, or if it's finalized that it WON'T be sent in.

Is there any way to remedy this? I was considering emailing the admissions representatives and asking if they could please pend my application until the second LOR is in, but it's possible that even if it is turned in, lsac won't send it to the schools.

Has anybody had experience like this? Sorry for the long post, but I was trying to be thorough. I'm not applying to any other schools until my stupid LOR gets sent in. I gave her a November 5th deadline and she's been really slow...there's really not much I can do at this point but wait, which kind of sucks because I wanted to apply early!

Thanks!

uk4220

New

Re: Problem with LORs with schools I've already applied to

Post by uk4220 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:15 pm

you can apply without having a "complete" application yet.

They wont review your application until all of your materials are in.

This goes for all schools that I know of.

thelibear

New

Post by thelibear » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Berkeley's checklist says "The Admissions Office will not hold your application for review pending receipt of your letters of recommendation. If you want all of your letters to be considered in the review process, be sure that they are available with your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) report at the time you submit your application." and SCU says "Letters of recommendation and evaluations may be submitted through LSAC. However, we do not require them and will not wait for them."

I guess I learned my lesson about always reading the fine print...

thelibear

New

Post by thelibear » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Maybe I just happened to pick the two schools that don't follow the norm.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Call them and ask. The worst they can say is no. The people who work at these admissions offices are really generally quite nice, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”