Contemplating another sitting Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brickman

Bronze

Contemplating another sitting

Post by brickman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Hello there, world.

So here is my position, my first two sitting of the lsat were rather dismal: 157, 154.

This can mostly be attributed to lack of actually preparing for the test.

After significant preparation (about 450 hours) I scored a 164 at the actual sitting.

PT average was 172. Panicked on the first lr section and got -9, calmed down and did about as expected the rest of the test (accounting for normal test day score fall)

Now, the 157 will be more than 2 years old in February 2011.

I've just started my application cycle, and I realize my score wont get me into t-14, and ite, that is likely a problem.

What do you all think I should do? Will it count as not taking it a 4th time since it will be outside of a 2 year period? Could i sit in June and everything be dandy w/ regard to the no 4 sittings w/in 2 years deal?

halp.

JazzOne

Gold

Re: Contemplating another sitting

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Retake

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:44 pm

JazzOne wrote:Retake
+1

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:51 pm

would this constitute a 4th sitting in the sense that I would have to request it?

This is assuming a test date of june 2011 such that it would be outside of the 2 year /3 test limit.

policestate1234

New

Post by policestate1234 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Depends how long ago did you take your 1st lsat

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:29 pm

policestate1234 wrote:Depends how long ago did you take your 1st lsat
feb 2009.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 pm

brickman wrote:would this constitute a 4th sitting in the sense that I would have to request it?

This is assuming a test date of june 2011 such that it would be outside of the 2 year /3 test limit.
You should just call LSAC and ask but since June 2011 is not within the 2 years then I don't think you would have to request it. Schools would still see your first score though since it isn't expired yet I think...

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:11 am

Is there anything on this issue in terms of how colleges view a 4th sitting.

fuggin hell.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:13 am

brickman wrote:Is there anything on this issue in terms of how colleges view a 4th sitting.

fuggin hell.
You're at 3. A 4th one is pretty negligible at this point. Maybe there is a difference between one time test takers and two time test takers but between 3 and 4? Not much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:37 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
brickman wrote:Is there anything on this issue in terms of how colleges view a 4th sitting.

fuggin hell.
You're at 3. A 4th one is pretty negligible at this point. Maybe there is a difference between one time test takers and two time test takers but between 3 and 4? Not much.
Here is what I would argue, and feel free to disagree (it is a point of some importance),

That during my first and second sitting of the test, I didn't even prepare. I was literally paralyzed by fear and was unable to prepare. This was, I can say without shame or concern, the result of psychological problem (not chemically induced or resolved), that has since been resolved, and that was resolved prior to my 3rd sitting. I can say in earnest that it was likely the first real time that I had truly applied myself to a challenge (rather pitiful, I know).

So the argument being something like the following: The third sitting was more like my first sitting and that I could do better seeing that I am finally in a state of mind conducive to take the test.

What do you think?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:38 am

brickman wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

fuggin hell.
Here is what I would argue, and feel free to disagree (it is a point of some importance),

That during my first and second sitting of the test, I didn't even prepare. I was literally paralyzed by fear and was unable to prepare. This was, I can say without shame or concern, the result of psychological problem (not chemically induced or resolved), that has since been resolved, and that was resolved prior to my 3rd sitting. I can say in earnest that it was likely the first real time that I had truly applied myself to a challenge (rather pitiful, I know).

So the argument being something like the following: The third sitting was more like my first sitting and that I could do better seeing that I am finally in a state of mind conducive to take the test.

What do you think?
Adcomms won't really care. If anything it shows bad judgement on your part for taking the test not once but twice without having prepared adequately.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 am

I wont deny that it shows bad judgement, that much is clear, but then again that is part and parcel of a former way of thinking. If they want they can have a submission from my therapist attesting to this fact. The point being that that method of thinking, and its end, resulted in a new start from which a different thinking, a more consistent and complete one, is now in place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”