New Evaluation Service... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
runningzigzag

New

New Evaluation Service...

Post by runningzigzag » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Do you think that this new service is going to replace the traditional LOR's?

To be quite honest, I DO NOT like this at all. I am a fan of the traditional LOR's myself.

Are there a lot of schools acutally using this service more than the traditional LOR? I am speaking specifically of this admissions cycle.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: New Evaluation Service...

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Very few schools recommend it. The only school I can think of off the top of my head is UCLA. I'm not even going to bother doing it though.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:29 pm

I think Cornell did too. I mean my supervisor showed me the one she did for me and it was all truly exceptional and the one just below that. I'd say I should have been truly exceptional (top 1%) for a couple of them but clearly not for the majority so I'm pretty sure those things will convey no real information beyond the comments.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:33 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I think Cornell did too. I mean my supervisor showed me the one she did for me and it was all truly exceptional and the one just below that. I'd say I should have been truly exceptional (top 1%) for a couple of them but clearly not for the majority so I'm pretty sure those things will convey no real information beyond the comments.
"Two completed LSAC evaluations (optional)"

That's what it says on the Cornell website. I don't think that's recommended.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Not that anyone here seems to care about such a lowly-ranked school ( :lol: ) but the Texas Tech rep I spoke to actually mentioned they were going to ask for Evaluations and use those only. Still taking LOR as I write this, but passing on what I heard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:59 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I think Cornell did too. I mean my supervisor showed me the one she did for me and it was all truly exceptional and the one just below that. I'd say I should have been truly exceptional (top 1%) for a couple of them but clearly not for the majority so I'm pretty sure those things will convey no real information beyond the comments.

Yea except on the LSAC LOR/Eval page it says that it is recommended. I imagine the Cornell website is more accurate... but then again many schools have "optional" LORs that aren't really optional.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:01 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Yea except on the LSAC LOR/Eval page it says that it is recommended. I imagine the Cornell website is more accurate... but then again many schools have "optional" LORs that aren't really optional.
Really? I'm looking at the LSAC website right now and it says under

Evaluations
Require/ Recommend/ Accept : 0 / 0 / 4

I thought this meant 0 required, 0 recommended, 4 accepted?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:07 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Really? I'm looking at the LSAC website right now and it says under

Evaluations
Require/ Recommend/ Accept : 0 / 0 / 4

I thought this meant 0 required, 0 recommended, 4 accepted?
They either changed it or I was mistaken then. I assigned them all back in Sept so my memory is fuzzy and I know LSAC puts the wrong things sometimes because in Michigan's it said they only recommended 1 LOR but in their app they say the encourage 3.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:08 pm

They either changed it or I was mistaken then. I assigned them all back in Sept so my memory is fuzzy and I know LSAC puts the wrong things sometimes because in Michigan's it said they only recommended 1 LOR but in their app they say the encourage 3.
You may be right. I didn't actually look at Cornell's app and I would expect that to be more accurate than LSAC website.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

runningzigzag

New

Post by runningzigzag » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:58 pm

So basically 99.9% of schools still want traditional LOR's from what I'm gathering

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Runningzigzag,

That would be consistent with what I have seen this cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”