[deleted] Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawwwYeaa

New

[deleted]

Post by LawwwYeaa » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:30 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by LawwwYeaa on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ahduth

Gold

Re: Should I mention faculty discount in "Why X" essay?

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Don't mention the discount, just say your parents teach there, work there whatever. And they like it. Or you like it. Or something like that.

Just don't mention the money, that seems pretty mercenary.

LawwwYeaa

New

Post by LawwwYeaa » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by LawwwYeaa on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Similar situation. I ended up not going to the school my parents are at, but I definitely think I got accepted to the that school because of the connection. At least anecdotally, clear immediate family connections like parents who teach at the university or a spouse in a grad program are very good softs.

But yeah, don't talk about the money, the adcomms will know about that anyway. Just say you grew up around the school and really like the vibe.

twolv

New

Post by twolv » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 pm

I may be in the minority, but I think you should not mention the discount, nor allude to it. Your discount might mean less money for the school, and law schools need all they can get. If they are debating between accepting you and someone else who is going to pay tuition, who do you think they would choo$e?

If anything, I think you should just focus on your strong ties to the school. For example, if it's Northwestern, talk about how you have always valued being a member of the "Wildcat Family."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:38 am

Count me in the apparent minority.

Depending on your numbers, you may want to mention it as a strong motivating factor. I think that if your numbers are above median, pointing out such a strong incentive (T14 at what, $10-12k/yr??) is a valid way to avoid YP--after all, it's basically a de facto scholarship. If you're near median, I think it's still a good idea, since it gives the law school a trump card over its peers (who likely wouldn't offer you money, or at least not significant $$). Below median, the picture gets a little cloudier, though I think twolv is almost certainly being excessively paranoid. Really, though, just consider the imagined dialogue going on in an adcomm's head:

AC: Why do you want to go to school here?
You: You're among the top in the nation and roughly $30k/year cheaper for me to attend than your peer schools, plus I'm already familiar with the larger university's environment and love it. Tuition for all three years at your school will approximate tuition for just one year at a peer school.

I would be shocked if an adcomm didn't view $30k/yr--$90k over 3 years--as a legitimate factor in your decision-making process. (NB: There's a difference between the adcomms' knowing about the discount and their knowing that you are aware of the discount and are taking it into consideration)

slamp

New

Post by slamp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:00 pm

I would be shocked if an adcomm didn't view $30k/yr--$90k over 3 years--as a legitimate factor in your decision-making process. (NB: There's a difference between the adcomms' knowing about the discount and their knowing that you are aware of the discount and are taking it into consideration)
I agree, especially if you are above median as DreamShake mentioned and bring it up tastefully as they prescribed as well. Acknowledging that you are carefully considering the exorbitant cost of your legal education, particularly in this market, should not be viewed as a negative but rather a positive. To do otherwise would be like ignoring the 500 pound gorilla in the room. And no one likes a lawyer who doesn't notice a 500 pound gorilla sitting right next to them. It shows a high level of maturity to not blindly put yourself in massive debt.

All in all, it probably won't make them really reach for you, but it could help seal the deal if you are a "consider" or above.

LawwwYeaa

New

Post by LawwwYeaa » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:13 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by LawwwYeaa on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:16 pm

LawwwYeaa wrote:My LSAT's around their median-75%, but my GPA is below their 25%.

I suppose I'll just do my best to sound mature and emphasize how highly I regard the institution based on my history with it - still deciding whether to explicitly mention the money...

And twolv, I don't think it means less money for the school - there are several separate entities within the umbrella university and a different one would pay the law school on my behalf.
+1 to this (my mom used to work at a university) but as it doesn't sound that you will be worrying about YP I wouldn't mention the money anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:09 pm

how is something that everyone has agreed with in the minority?

WITHOUT PREJUDICE UCC 1-308,
Capitalacq.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:19 pm

I see that as a legitimate factor. If I were you I'd focus on growing up there, loving the school, having family ties, knowing the area, and then mention, although not focus on the money. I don't think it would be harmful to say "duh I'm considering money." I mean... schools know that it is the primary determinant for most students. But, listing that as your only reason doesn't give the school the ego boost they need, and shows you could, at the last minute, use some other factor to determine where you go. If you mention every possible reason you go there, the school will be pretty darn sure you'll attend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”