traffic violations for NYU? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
agora139

Bronze

traffic violations for NYU?

Post by agora139 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:14 pm

the question is: Have you ever, either as an adult or juvenile, been charged with or convicted of any crime, or charged with or found to have committed any offense (whether or not defined as a crime), or are any such charges pending?

i have traffic violations, are they referring to these?

thanks!

straxen

Bronze

Re: traffic violations for NYU?

Post by straxen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:19 pm

If there's nothing saying "excluding minor traffic violations" , yes. Just write a very brief addendum objectively stating what happened, they won't care.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Ye, i called and they said to disclose everything. Also for the other apps, which say "except minor traffic violations," I've been checking yes and attaching an addendum. I was told there is no clear cut definition for "minor traffic violations." So, it is better to stay on the safe side and just check yes. Most applicants have traffic violations anyway, so you should be fine as long as it's not a DUI.

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:40 pm

okay great! thanks!

djeter2

New

Post by djeter2 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:Ye, i called and they said to disclose everything. Also for the other apps, which say "except minor traffic violations," I've been checking yes and attaching an addendum. I was told there is no clear cut definition for "minor traffic violations." So, it is better to stay on the safe side and just check yes. Most applicants have traffic violations anyway, so you should be fine as long as it's not a DUI.
I just called and they said I did not have to report traffic violations... maybe I'll try to again to make sure, but the person responded "no" as soon as I got the word "traffic" out of my mouth (I have a speeding ticket).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:58 pm

No one drives at NYU, so I wouldn't worry about it.

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:41 pm

ah well i already did submit the application along with the traffic addendum. not a big deal i hope!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:16 pm

djeter2 wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Ye, i called and they said to disclose everything. Also for the other apps, which say "except minor traffic violations," I've been checking yes and attaching an addendum. I was told there is no clear cut definition for "minor traffic violations." So, it is better to stay on the safe side and just check yes. Most applicants have traffic violations anyway, so you should be fine as long as it's not a DUI.
I just called and they said I did not have to report traffic violations... maybe I'll try to again to make sure, but the person responded "no" as soon as I got the word "traffic" out of my mouth (I have a speeding ticket).
Would email them and get that in writing. A lot of people answering phones might say no, but they may want it. I called NYU and they said disclose all, contrary to what you might have heard. I called Penn and they said no, but then I emailed them and they said to disclose. I had a speeding ticket 5 years ago.
So just to be on the safe side, you should either just disclose or get in writing from the admissions people that it's okay to not submit.

FWIW I had already submitted my app to both NYU and Penn, was UR at NYU, and submitted as an addendum (they added it to my file). A speeding ticket is no big deal as far as admissions is concerned, but I'd hate to have any sort of issue for C+F of the Bar three years and 200k down the line.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Oh gosh darn it, I blazed through these sections with no boxes on all of my apps assuming they didn't want traffic violations. Do I have to call tomorrow? God this sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:51 pm

mst wrote:Oh gosh darn it, I blazed through these sections with no boxes on all of my apps assuming they didn't want traffic violations. Do I have to call tomorrow? God this sucks.
No. I called as well and they said not to include it. I submitted with no addendum. The only school I've encountered that definitely wants them disclosed is Vandy.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:52 pm

eskimo wrote:
mst wrote:Oh gosh darn it, I blazed through these sections with no boxes on all of my apps assuming they didn't want traffic violations. Do I have to call tomorrow? God this sucks.
No. I called as well and they said not to include it. I submitted with no addendum. The only school I've encountered that definitely wants them disclosed is Vandy.
God, I applied there too. This sucks.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:53 pm

I e-mailed them last year when applying and they said to include everything. I specifically asked about traffic violations.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:56 pm

mst wrote:
eskimo wrote:
God, I applied there too. This sucks.
I called Vandy just yesterday and you definitely need to email them an addendum. She made that very clear. It is NOT a big deal, however, and she said it has absolutely nothing to do with decisions, so just email them and include it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:01 pm

CG614 wrote:I e-mailed them last year when applying and they said to include everything. I specifically asked about traffic violations.
+1 for this year.

Also, as I stated earlier, called NYU this year and they said to disclose (even though they seem to have told others differently). Maybe it's different people telling us different things, but I would be sure to go off of more than just someone in admissions telling you "No, it's cool." Something in writing from admissions. Doesnt take long to ask them via email and they usually respond in a day (I wrote to them, and via email they said: err on the side of caution, even minor traffic tickets.")

Yeah it was a pain in the ass. I went to LSAC and pulled up all my submitted apps and scrolled down to the C+F questions. Most of them said excluding minor traffic violations. Some dont specify. Out of all 20 some odd apps, I called and emailed :

NYU, Penn, Vandy, WUSTL

They all emailed back to submit. But it doesnt seem to affect admissions at all and takes all of 10 minutes to write up a professional sounding addendum. Not a big deal.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:26 pm

How does this sound:

In August of 2007, I received a Traffic Citation while riding a Y on the University X campus. The case was dismissed in Y County court.

In May of 2009, I received a Traffic Citation for unlawful speed in Z County, STATE. Following this, I elected to enroll in a basic driver improvement course. Adjudication was withheld, and I maintained my STATE “safe driver” status.
Last edited by mst on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Lol. You got a ticket on a bike??
Sounds fine. Gets the point across in a concise, professional manner. Does your state actually have "safe driver" status?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:31 pm

mst wrote:How does this sound:

In August of 2007, I received a Traffic Citation while riding a bicycle on the University of X campus. The case was dismissed in Y County court.

In May of 2009, I received a Traffic Citation for unlawful speed in Z County, STATE. Following this, I elected to enroll in a basic driver improvement course. Adjudication was withheld, and I maintained my STATE “safe driver” status.
Wow, a bicycle lol? Looks good to me. If I was an adcomm I'd appreciate that you didn't lie through your teeth and say how sorry you were.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:38 pm

trudat15 wrote:Lol. You got a ticket on a bike??
Sounds fine. Gets the point across in a concise, professional manner. Does your state actually have "safe driver" status?
Yep. First day of class at Undergrad too. Was for like 150 bucks for going the wrong direction on a road that was closed to cars...

And yes, Apparently.

mshell2123

New

Post by mshell2123 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:49 pm

How do I go about submitting an addendum for a traffic violation if I'm already under review at NYU. Would that look like I was careless with the application? I wasnt even thinking that a traffic offense would apply to that question..

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:58 pm

mshell2123 wrote:How do I go about submitting an addendum for a traffic violation if I'm already under review at NYU. Would that look like I was careless with the application? I wasnt even thinking that a traffic offense would apply to that question..
I emailed NYU and they told me to just attach it to their email address (law.moreinfo@nyu.edu). I was under review as well. They confirmed receipt and told me they placed it in my file and am still UR. They told me it wont affect anything, but who knows. To be fair, they've told different things to different people, and their question is pretty vague.

Also I think if during the application process you get a ticket or whatever you are supposed to email them updated addenda, so maybe it's normal to have things added it and it wont affect your chances. Hoping so at least.

trutherd

New

Post by trutherd » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:38 am

trudat15 wrote:... their question is pretty vague...
Seriously. Why can't all schools be like Texas? Look how unambiguous and helpful their question is:
Have you ever been convicted of and/or pleaded guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) to any violation of the criminal laws other than a minor traffic violation? Adults who have been charged with a crime and who accept Deferred Adjudication must report such information under this question because the concept of Deferred Adjudication involves a plea of guilty or no contest and the offense cannot be erased from a person's record. An applicant does not need to disclose information about a juvenile or criminal record that has been sealed or expunged; however, it is up to each applicant to ensure that his/her offense is in fact expunged and/or sealed under the relevant state law. If an applicant fails to disclose information that is not in fact expunged or sealed, the applicant may be subject to disciplinary action by the University. Note: You must include any offenses involving drugs or alcohol, unless excused as described above. If your answer is "yes," please explain on a separate sheet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:24 pm

So, I just spoke with someone at NYU admissions, because I freaked when I realized I was under review for ED and hadn't submitted an addendum for two minor traffic tickets. I am going to roughly quote what he said:

"It depends on how you interpret the language. Some students choose to be more discretionary whereas others don't. If it is not the type situation where someone was hurt or anything, it is not going to come back to haunt you. Ultimately it is up to the applicant though."

So, I have two minor speeding tickets that I did not disclose. In your opinion, should I mail something or not? Keeping in mind I am already ED under review.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:26 pm

hahaha tipler, I think I talked to the same guy, who was incredibly vague. I think I'm going to email in a short addendum just in case. I don't think it matters either way, though.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:26 pm

It takes literally all of 3 minutes to write, 2 minutes to send, and you're going to have to use it for peer schools like WUSTL and Vandy if you apply there. So just do it and send it in....

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:43 pm

did you send to law.moreinfo@nyu?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”