Uploading Documents -- No pdf allowed!? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SteveIP

New

Uploading Documents -- No pdf allowed!?

Post by SteveIP » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:09 pm

I am finally starting to fill in the applications for various law schools, and of course I need to upload both a personal statement and a resume. So I go to the section on the LSAC application system for uploading these items. Where it lists "supported document types," Adobe Acrobat (pdf) is not supported. It then adds: "Note: Pdf file format is not listed, because pdf's may contain items that cannot be merged with other documents." (I have no idea what they heck they mean by that.)

As most of you all probably know, pdf is the one format that lets you ensure that your formatting comes out OK, and what the recipient sees is exactly what you saw as the sender. So, I want to send pdf. (As far as I know, Word doc files and all other can come out with different formatting on different PCs.)

So, is this for real? If I try to upload a pdf file, will the system really reject it, or can you upload pdf anyway? And if not, what formats are people using, or how do you address this?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Re: Uploading Documents -- No pdf allowed!?

Post by pinkzeppelin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:12 pm

You upload word documents and LSAC will add those word documents into a pdf with the application. LSAC will also give you a chance to preview the pdf before you submit it to schools, so if for some weird reason formatting is messed up you can change it.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:14 pm

SteveIP wrote:I am finally starting to fill in the applications for various law schools, and of course I need to upload both a personal statement and a resume. So I go to the section on the LSAC application system for uploading these items. Where it lists "supported document types," Adobe Acrobat (pdf) is not supported. It then adds: "Note: Pdf file format is not listed, because pdf's may contain items that cannot be merged with other documents." (I have no idea what they heck they mean by that.)

As most of you all probably know, pdf is the one format that lets you ensure that your formatting comes out OK, and what the recipient sees is exactly what you saw as the sender. So, I want to send pdf. (As far as I know, Word doc files and all other can come out with different formatting on different PCs.)

So, is this for real? If I try to upload a pdf file, will the system really reject it, or can you upload pdf anyway? And if not, what formats are people using, or how do you address this?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve
Just upload it as a word document. The LSAC website converts your application, including supplemental docs like your resume and PS, into a pdf that you can view before submitting the application. I haven't had any trouble with it screwing up my formatting, including on a carefully-formatted resume, but take a look over each app pdf before submitting it just to make sure.

SteveIP

New

Post by SteveIP » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:59 am

OK. Thanks everyone. -- OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”