Any shot at Vanderbilt? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Any shot at Vanderbilt?

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 am

atresia wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Go for it: Vanderbilt might actually be recruiting Asians. Until a couple years ago, they were gung-ho about getting Jews.
Wat.
Check it out:

http://paste.lisp.org/display/12638

"We're about broadening the applicant pool, not about quotas," Mr. Gee says. He says Vanderbilt is also trying to increase enrollment of blacks, Hispanics and Asians.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 am

HeavenWood wrote:
atresia wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Go for it: Vanderbilt might actually be recruiting Asians. Until a couple years ago, they were gung-ho about getting Jews.
Wat.
Check it out:

"Jewish students, by culture and by ability and by the very nature of their liveliness, make a university a much more habitable place in terms of intellectual life,"

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:04 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
atresia wrote:
Wat.
Check it out:

"Jewish students, by culture and by ability and by the very nature of their liveliness, make a university a much more habitable place in terms of intellectual life,"
They wanted to become Tennessee's Emory. They got their wish. Vandy is now close to 20% Jewish.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:06 am

For some reason, the link won't load for me. It's worth noting, though, that Gee is no longer Vanderbilt's chancellor. However, you may be right about the school pushing for diversity in general terms. The UG Class of 2014 is composed of 30% minority students.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:28 am

AreJay711 wrote: Buying lotto tickets isn't dumb and either is throwing Hail Mary's in law school apps... AS LONG AS THE MONEY IS NOT GOING TO AFFECT YOUR LIFE.
HeavenWood wrote:Buying the occasional lottery ticket isn't dumb if you can afford the fee and keep your expectations in check.
I'll make a deal with you two. You guys send me $12 whenever you have it lying around and a random number between 1 and 5,000,000. I'll generate a number randomly, and if the two numbers match I'll give you $5,000,000. That way you get much better odds of winning than in a state or national lottery, and I'll get your money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:31 am

St.Remy wrote:
AreJay711 wrote: Buying lotto tickets isn't dumb and either is throwing Hail Mary's in law school apps... AS LONG AS THE MONEY IS NOT GOING TO AFFECT YOUR LIFE.
HeavenWood wrote:Buying the occasional lottery ticket isn't dumb if you can afford the fee and keep your expectations in check.
I'll make a deal with you two. You guys send me $12 whenever you have it lying around and a random number between 1 and 5,000,000. I'll generate a number randomly, and if the two numbers match I'll give you $5,000,000. That way you get much better odds of winning than in a state or national lottery, and I'll get your money.
I'll send you $15 if you double the payout.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:34 am

St.Remy wrote:
If that cool five million comes with a spot at Y, H, or S, it's a deal.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 am

St.Remy wrote:
I'd do that in a heartbeat... if i trusted you could pay lol.

You're an econ person aren't you? I thought I remember that from somewhere on here. Anyway, Milton Friedman had an interesting idea on this. More or less he said that buying a lotto ticket is immaterial, which, like the accounting term, means that the cost has essentially no effect to a person's utility yet the winnings would have a great effect on utility. There might be more recent stuff too but that's not what I really study.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:47 am

AreJay711 wrote: I'd do that in a heartbeat... if i trusted you could pay lol.
C'mon I'm good for it. Wouldn't you rather trust a person that you've talked to than a faceless bureaucracy like the ones that run the lotteries? It's just common sense. To Heavenwood, you could probably bribe an adcomm with $5 mil, besides the Dean of Admissions they don't earn very much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:56 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
That's what you get for only being one point off median. They know you'll be a sucker and pay the app fee anyway. :wink:
This is completely true. I'm definitely emailing them asking for a waiver though.
Go for it: Vanderbilt might actually be recruiting Asians. Until a couple years ago, they were gung-ho about getting Jews.
I would hope so. I saw the ethnic diversity chart and Vandy and it had very few Asians than other law schools do usually.
I'm half asian, but I'm really fratty. Perhaps they only want Asians who act white.

OP, Vandy WLs everyone, so yeah, retake, your shot is slim to none. And if you do get in, you'll pay sticker, and it's not worth it.

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:15 pm

OP here. WOW this thread took on a life of its own. Jeez.

BTW, it's funny how some of you are bashing others for making assumptions and having poor reading comprehension, yet refer to me as "him." I am female, as my username suggests :wink:

Anyway, thanks for the input, I definitely appreciate it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”