Application Preparation Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cjf4

New

Application Preparation Advice

Post by cjf4 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking to apply to schools a couple of years from now, having just recently finished my undergraduate B.S. I currently work for a consulting firm, and am looking to save up, build a solid foundation, basically really get my life in order before I begin the process.

What I was wondering is things I could be doing now to improve my profile as a law school candidate, besides working on getting a better LSAT score (because I'm doing that anyway). I have a lot of free time that I think could be put to better use than what I'm doing now, which is not a whole lot. I know there are the habitat for humanity/soup kitchen type things, and while they are definitely good, they seem kind of generic. I want to put my energy to something that would make me stand out, rather than just doing it as box to check.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

180orbust

New

Re: Application Preparation Advice

Post by 180orbust » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:07 am

cjf4 wrote:Hello all,

I'm looking to apply to schools a couple of years from now, having just recently finished my undergraduate B.S. I currently work for a consulting firm, and am looking to save up, build a solid foundation, basically really get my life in order before I begin the process.

What I was wondering is things I could be doing now to improve my profile as a law school candidate, besides working on getting a better LSAT score (because I'm doing that anyway). I have a lot of free time that I think could be put to better use than what I'm doing now, which is not a whole lot. I know there are the habitat for humanity/soup kitchen type things, and while they are definitely good, they seem kind of generic. I want to put my energy to something that would make me stand out, rather than just doing it as box to check.

Possible ideas:
-Start a blog/website about something law-related
-Find a law professor at a school you'd like to attend who is engaged in something interesting, and develop a correspondence/relationship with that professor. They may be able to vouch for you when you apply/attend.
-Don't worry--law schools other than Yale really only care about your LSAT/GPA. They want students who will make a shit ton of money or become famous humanitarians so that they can either donate big $ or shower the school's name with prestige. They don't really care if you volunteer. Passionate commitment to the same things you've always been interested in is more impressive than some fake, clumsy gesture.

Wait, don't you work for a consulting firm? How do you have a lot of free time?

cjf4

New

Re: Application Preparation Advice

Post by cjf4 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:19 pm

180orbust wrote:
cjf4 wrote:Hello all,

Possible ideas:
-Start a blog/website about something law-related
-Find a law professor at a school you'd like to attend who is engaged in something interesting, and develop a correspondence/relationship with that professor. They may be able to vouch for you when you apply/attend.
-Don't worry--law schools other than Yale really only care about your LSAT/GPA. They want students who will make a shit ton of money or become famous humanitarians so that they can either donate big $ or shower the school's name with prestige. They don't really care if you volunteer. Passionate commitment to the same things you've always been interested in is more impressive than some fake, clumsy gesture.

Wait, don't you work for a consulting firm? How do you have a lot of free time?
Well not a lot per say, but its a pretty standard 45 hour work week. So I have a few hours every night, and I moved to a new city after college so my weekends are still pretty free.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”