pdf or word doc? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
glitched

Silver

pdf or word doc?

Post by glitched » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Do you submit personal statement/resumes/addendum as pdf or resume? and what do you title it? thanks

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: pdf or word doc?

Post by r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 pm

word doc. Put your name, title of the document, L# in the header.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:39 am

You don't have the option of pdf. I made that mistake and had to re-do my "Send Out" folder with the word documents that my PDF's came from. It was a hassle and I stressed constantly that I made errors that I had corrected on my PDFs but not my word files. (It is still in the back of my mind after checking them multiple times).

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:36 am

You submit Doc's or Docx's (your choice), then LSAC combines these with the primary application and generates a pdf in the order you upload the files, and you're given the chance to preview the overall application pdf one last time prior to submitting.

schrizto

New

Post by schrizto » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:47 pm

mst wrote:You submit Doc's or Docx's (your choice), then LSAC combines these with the primary application and generates a pdf in the order you upload the files, and you're given the chance to preview the overall application pdf one last time prior to submitting.
That's weird. If the documents are going to be turned into pdfs anyway why would there be a problem for people who submit their documents as pdfs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:50 pm

schrizto wrote:
mst wrote:You submit Doc's or Docx's (your choice), then LSAC combines these with the primary application and generates a pdf in the order you upload the files, and you're given the chance to preview the overall application pdf one last time prior to submitting.
That's weird. If the documents are going to be turned into pdfs anyway why would there be a problem for people who submit their documents as pdfs.
...did you do your stuff in LaTeX? No? Then this is a stupid argument.

If you did, I'll tip my hat to you and refer you to a tex2doc converter.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:33 pm

To answer your question, I have no idea why you can not submit a pdf to a pdf maker/combiner.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:25 pm

im_blue wrote:Because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.
...you havn't really used Word, have you? lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:27 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
im_blue wrote:Because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.
The difference is that an applicant can just open up Word, type their PS, and send it to LSAC for easy conversion. However, if the applicant printed that PS from Word to some PDF converter, and then sent it to LSAC, that PDF converter could have easily put some protection on there without the applicant knowing about it.

schrizto

New

Post by schrizto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 am

im_blue wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
The difference is that an applicant can just open up Word, type their PS, and send it to LSAC for easy conversion. However, if the applicant printed that PS from Word to some PDF converter, and then sent it to LSAC, that PDF converter could have easily put some protection on there without the applicant knowing about it.
You can convert a .doc to a pdf really easily in Microsoft Word. When I did college apps, I uploaded the documents as pdfs because it actually made the upload time much faster and the spacing/formatting wouldn't change weirdly. I could see how a third party pdf converter could cause problems but converting it in Word shouldn't.

And I'm not familiar with what LaTeX is :| .

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:17 am

schrizto wrote:
im_blue wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
You can convert a .doc to a pdf really easily in Microsoft Word. When I did college apps, I uploaded the documents as pdfs because it actually made the upload time much faster and the spacing/formatting wouldn't change weirdly. I could see how a third party pdf converter could cause problems but converting it in Word shouldn't.

And I'm not familiar with what LaTeX is :| .
Most publishers require LaTeX, look it up.

When possible I use it because it lets me write out my paper and worry about formatting after the fact.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”