Suffolk 2014 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
callen7828

New

Re: Suffolk 2014

Post by callen7828 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:45 am

Just got my letter...I'm on the wait list (sigh). At least it wasn't a rejection...does anyone people who been put on the wait list and selected? I'm wondering how long I have to wait now! :|[/quote]

I imagine that they reevaluate their waitlist after each deposit date and then send out offers in small batches thereafter. If you’re dead set on attending Suffolk, definitely send Dean Ellis a letter of continued interest.[/quote]

Already drafted and in with my WL letter of intent form. :) I plan on either walking over to the school (it's right down the street from me) and drop it off today or dropping it in the mail. Fingers continued to be crossed!

callen7828 - that is good to know. I hope I'm contacted as quickly.[/quote]

Well when I found out, I actually called to make sure they recieved my email that told them I would switch, when I did the girl said that my decision was already mailed so I asked her what it was and all she could tell me was to go have a celebratory beer. Maybe you should call.

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:01 am

Well when I found out, I actually called to make sure they recieved my email that told them I would switch, when I did the girl said that my decision was already mailed so I asked her what it was and all she could tell me was to go have a celebratory beer. Maybe you should call.
Interesting. Maybe I will email it instead of dropping it off/mailing it. How long did you wait between emailing and calling? I'm just so afraid to be a pest and have them ding me because I'm too persistant!

LaProfe14

New

Post by LaProfe14 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:37 pm

FINALLY got my acceptance letter via snail mail..first i heard from them since i applied back in late January! Already deposited somewhere else though

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey guys, I just withdrew, but good luck to everyone! Suffolk is a good school with a solid rep (I know cause I live in Boston); I'm sure you'll all love it. Also, just FYI, I had success with scholarship negotiation. I told them about $$ from NESL and they gave me some.

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Well, my WL letter of intent is sent! Maybe I'll get Kurt's spot! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:Hey guys, I just withdrew, but good luck to everyone! Suffolk is a good school with a solid rep (I know cause I live in Boston); I'm sure you'll all love it. Also, just FYI, I had success with scholarship negotiation. I told them about $$ from NESL and they gave me some.
Cool, I'm sure people here on the WL will be interested to know. Where did you decide on?

I wonder how long it takes for them to officially know who has deposited? Since it's postmarked by April 15th (though I just paid online).

p.s. Go BU!

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:15 pm

orm518 wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:Hey guys, I just withdrew, but good luck to everyone! Suffolk is a good school with a solid rep (I know cause I live in Boston); I'm sure you'll all love it. Also, just FYI, I had success with scholarship negotiation. I told them about $$ from NESL and they gave me some.
Cool, I'm sure people here on the WL will be interested to know. Where did you decide on?

I wonder how long it takes for them to officially know who has deposited? Since it's postmarked by April 15th (though I just paid online).

p.s. Go BU!
Yeah go BU, I'm gonna miss it :( ! I'm actually going to CUNY. I'm mainly interested in gov't/PI work, and I know Suffolk usually places well in those fields, but I figured I'd save some tuition $$ and try NYC for a change.

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:46 pm

krzr17 wrote:
Interesting. Maybe I will email it instead of dropping it off/mailing it. How long did you wait between emailing and calling? I'm just so afraid to be a pest and have them ding me because I'm too persistant!
She emailed me friday (Gail Ellis) and I was accepted by Monday.

logicgamesbrah

New

Post by logicgamesbrah » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:49 pm

Just got my e-mail tonight saying I'm in!! So happy to finally get some good news. I have to review a couple things but almost sure I will be going here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:54 pm

logicgamesbrah wrote:Just got my e-mail tonight saying I'm in!! So happy to finally get some good news. I have to review a couple things but almost sure I will be going here.

Congrads, I wish you luck, I too am in but I am not sure yet it will all henge on if I can get my wife a teaching job there, which it does not look very promising at this point so I may take my backup in d.c. and I am still waiting for unlv to give me the yes or no.

prelawtx

New

Post by prelawtx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:26 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
prelawtx wrote:i have my first deposit to texas tech but i still can't decide if i want to attend suffolk or tech..
i'm from austin and the idea of moving to lubbock is horrifying.
however, ttu tuition is cheaper than suffolk and i'm in with their jd/mba program.
suffolk is not in texas and from what i have gathered, suffolk is a better school [for lack of a better word] than ttu.

any suggestions?

Have you ever been to Boston? Would you want to start your career in Boston? You can always deposit as Suffolk also (I think it was only $200) and you can have a little more time to make a decision.

no i haven't been to boston yet but i heard good things about that place [definitely a better place to live than lubbock]
yah, i'm thinking about making my deposit to suffolk and decide what i want to do :/
i'm still waiting to hear from other schools and i'm waitlisted on about six other schools..sigh

prelawtx

New

Post by prelawtx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:26 am

krzr17 wrote:
prelawtx wrote:i was on the waitlist for about week and got my acceptance letter today!

so here's the question:
what is the ranking of suffolk?
all the websites have different rankings :/
Was your acceptance letter a packet or a small envelope?
it was just a letter envelope

gtrwanka

New

Post by gtrwanka » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:32 am

Hey, I'm sure if has been discussed already but how do you go about getting scholarship from them? I'm in at Suffolk but I'm getting a lot of scholly from another school. My fiancé is going to Harvard this fall for he'd masters, so if I could get lots of money, attending might be a very tempting option. Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:16 am

gtrwanka wrote:Hey, I'm sure if has been discussed already but how do you go about getting scholarship from them? I'm in at Suffolk but I'm getting a lot of scholly from another school. My fiancé is going to Harvard this fall for he'd masters, so if I could get lots of money, attending might be a very tempting option. Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.
Email Dean Ellis about your other scholarships. I think you'll have success especially if they are significant and to other Boston schools.

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm glad to see there are some more people on here who will be going to Suffolk.

I sent my deposit in a couple of weeks ago on the 1st, I heard back from them last week that they received it, I can't wait!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:47 pm

First of all, congratulations to all of those who applied and were admitted! I'm looking into Suffolk right now for the Fall of 2012. I'm interested in criminal prosecution and it sounds like Suffolk has craved out a niche in that field. However, Suffolk doesn't seem to publish their employment figures and that worries me. Are there enough ADA positions in Massachusetts for Suffolk grads to be competitive? Is there a break-off, at say the to top 10%, who can safely find work in criminal prosecution? Or do most Suffolk grads interested in criminal prosecution secure positions?

Thanks in advance for any information! If I'm at risk of derailing the thread, please feel free to PM me.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:03 pm

mrtoren wrote:First of all, congratulations to all of those who applied and were admitted! I'm looking into Suffolk right now for the Fall of 2012. I'm interested in criminal prosecution and it sounds like Suffolk has craved out a niche in that field. However, Suffolk doesn't seem to publish their employment figures and that worries me. Are there enough ADA positions in Massachusetts for Suffolk grads to be competitive? Is there a break-off, at say the to top 10%, who can safely find work in criminal prosecution? Or do most Suffolk grads interested in criminal prosecution secure positions?

Thanks in advance for any information! If I'm at risk of derailing the thread, please feel free to PM me.
I think a lot of this has been covered in earlier posts or elsewhere on TLS if you do a little digging. Suffolk does provide an employment survey on their website:

http://www.law.suffolk.edu/offices/care ... rvey09.pdf

I would have to imagine that the results of the 2010 survey will be released in the next month.

My guess is that those ADA positions are extremely competitive, especially given the retraction in the legal market, and you would need to be in the top 1/3 or higher to get an interview in a normal economy, top 10% now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Has that file changed? Wasn't there one bouncing around that said 11% of grads were in Clerkships?

Or am I thinking of something else?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 am

orm518 wrote:Has that file changed? Wasn't there one bouncing around that said 11% of grads were in Clerkships?

You're thinking of the survey for the class of 2008:

http://www.law.suffolk.edu/offices/care ... rvey08.pdf

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:03 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
orm518 wrote:Has that file changed? Wasn't there one bouncing around that said 11% of grads were in Clerkships?

Yes, good catch, I remembered it from our Best Case/Worst (hopefully) Case discussion on employment numbers.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:42 pm

orm518 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Yes, good catch, I remembered it from our Best Case/Worst (hopefully) Case discussion on employment numbers.
I cannot wait to see the 2010 statistics.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swmichael

New

Post by swmichael » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:57 pm

mrtoren wrote:First of all, congratulations to all of those who applied and were admitted! I'm looking into Suffolk right now for the Fall of 2012. I'm interested in criminal prosecution and it sounds like Suffolk has craved out a niche in that field. However, Suffolk doesn't seem to publish their employment figures and that worries me. Are there enough ADA positions in Massachusetts for Suffolk grads to be competitive? Is there a break-off, at say the to top 10%, who can safely find work in criminal prosecution? Or do most Suffolk grads interested in criminal prosecution secure positions?

I am a 1L at Suffolk and can tell you that Suffolk does great in government positions here in Boston. Most of the ADA's and Public Defenders are Suffolk grads...top 10% to land one of those positions sounds a little steep. I went to a panel discussion a couple of months ago with local ADA's discussing how to go about getting a job as a prosecutor...they mostly stressed specific classes to take (Evidence, con/crim, trail practice, etc), obtaining a public interest internship during your 2L summer, and a criminal clinic (either defense or prosecution) during 3L year. When asked about grades, they said that top grades were a boost, but classes and a demonstrable interest in criminal law/public service was the number one factor they looked at. So, top 10% may mean nothing if you never took anything beyond criminal procedure and interned at corporate firms during your summers. Just my two cents...

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm

swmichael wrote:

I am a 1L at Suffolk and can tell you that Suffolk does great in government positions here in Boston. Most of the ADA's and Public Defenders are Suffolk grads...top 10% to land one of those positions sounds a little steep. I went to a panel discussion a couple of months ago with local ADA's discussing how to go about getting a job as a prosecutor...they mostly stressed specific classes to take (Evidence, con/crim, trail practice, etc), obtaining a public interest internship during your 2L summer, and a criminal clinic (either defense or prosecution) during 3L year. When asked about grades, they said that top grades were a boost, but classes and a demonstrable interest in criminal law/public service was the number one factor they looked at. So, top 10% may mean nothing if you never took anything beyond criminal procedure and interned at corporate firms during your summers. Just my two cents...
Thanks for your imput, swmichael. I'm sure we would all love to hear your view on an arraw of issues. Will you be checking in on us in the coming days/weeks?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:34 pm

orm518 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Interestingly, US News says it's only 5%. Odd.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 pm

yeah 11% would be rather large for Suffolk.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”