LOR From Big (Not Family) Donor??? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hendrix

New

LOR From Big (Not Family) Donor???

Post by hendrix » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Ann Levine says NO FAMILY FRIENDS NO MATTER WUT, and I certainly don't want to come across as a douche, but if it would help me, then I'll do it. Any thoughts/stories?

capitalacq

Silver

Re: LOR From Big (Not Family) Donor???

Post by capitalacq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm

hendrix wrote:Ann Levine says NO FAMILY FRIENDS NO MATTER WUT, and I certainly don't want to come across as a douche, but if it would help me, then I'll do it. Any thoughts/stories?
have him make a call

hendrix

New

Post by hendrix » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:51 pm

capitalacq wrote:
hendrix wrote:Ann Levine says NO FAMILY FRIENDS NO MATTER WUT, and I certainly don't want to come across as a douche, but if it would help me, then I'll do it. Any thoughts/stories?
have him make a call
To whom? He's actually a (great?)/grandson of the now dead person, so he doesn't have any points of contact.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:52 pm

This could backfire. I personally wouldn't do it.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 pm

hendrix wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
have him make a call
To whom? He's actually a son/grandson of the person, so he doesn't have any points of contact.
Wait, so you think having the grandson of a big donor write you a LOR will help you out? Yeah, don't do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 pm

hendrix wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
have him make a call
To whom? He's actually a (great?)/grandson of the now dead person, so he doesn't have any points of contact.
Pass.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:56 pm

capitalacq wrote:
have him make a call
Don't!
I have a friend whose Dad is on the board of the school and has his name on the business school wall, and she didn't get her dad to say anything to the school/his friends. Think it was a good call.
Do you really want to be that privileged jerk? There are only three people basically who make admissions decisions and unless your donor friend/father knows them, you'll just come off that way.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:50 pm

Depends on the connection. For instance if it were Vanderbilt and this guy who could write you a LOR is a Vanderbilt then it makes sense otherwise probably not.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:53 pm

:(
Last edited by s0ph1e2007 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:55 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:Depends on the connection. For instance if it were Vanderbilt and this guy who could write you a LOR is a Vanderbilt then it makes sense otherwise probably not.
This sentence does not make sense, and is, thus, not helpful.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Shrimps

Bronze

Post by Shrimps » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:Depends on the connection. For instance if it were Vanderbilt and this guy who could write you a LOR is a Vanderbilt then it makes sense otherwise probably not.
This sentence does not make sense, and is, thus, not helpful.
But it's still fun. Will Vanderbilt Law admissions people treat a letter from a Vanderbilt as a minus?

As for the thread starter, the problem is, if it's a person with no direct connection to the university (grandson of a late donor?) then it does come off a bit like over-privileged douchebaggery.

Add me to the list of people who think this could backfire. Unless they know you in a professional capacity. Have you ever worked with him? Can he present himself as your boss? Or he's purely a family friend with a great yachting story to tell to the adcoms?

hendrix

New

Post by hendrix » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:16 am

What if this school is known for its reliance on donors?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:36 pm

hendrix wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
have him make a call
Wait, are you asking whether you should have the (great?)grandson of a big donor write you a letter of recommendation?

I say yes, assuming that this LOR-writer is also a professor of yours who has had you for several classes and gave you good grades. Otherwise it sounds like it would be silly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”