BYU???? is it a joke? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sophia.olive

Silver

BYU???? is it a joke?

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:01 am

Yearly tuition: Mormon: $9,980, Non-Mormon: $19,960 (2009-2010)

sophia.olive

Silver

Re: BYU???? is it a joke?

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:01 am

I guess either way it is cheap.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 am

Way to show religious tolerance :roll:

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 am

TommyK wrote:Way to show religious tolerance :roll:
yeah i dont know whats wrong with me. I didnt sleep all night and I have just been MEAN. :oops:

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:22 am

Clearly Op fails to realize exactly how expensive raising multiple families can be ITE. At least BYU understands this and is doing something to help out its primary base of students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:25 am

reasonable_man wrote:Clearly Op fails to realize exactly how expensive raising multiple families can be ITE. At least BYU understands this and is doing something to help out its primary base of students.
I'm relatively certain most Mormon's only have to raise one family...

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 am

2014 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Clearly Op fails to realize exactly how expensive raising multiple families can be ITE. At least BYU understands this and is doing something to help out its primary base of students.
I'm relatively certain most Mormon's only have to raise one family...
Thank goodness you were here to clear that up.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 am

Only 5% of the people at the law school are not Mormon - keep that in mind anyone who is seriously looking at the school.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:57 am

BYU isn't a joke, but i doubt anyone would like it who isn't LDS. However, i think the school will get more diverse in the futre as the LDS seems to be "recruiting" minorities in greater numbers now.

Also, even though i think the LDS, and any major religions are harbl, i'd like to point out that

BYU and LDS are in general not the Fundamentalists that have 3 wives.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 am

Can you have three husbands?

I didn't mean byu is a joke just the fact tha mormons get it 30000 cheaper. Is there a record of mormons, I thought I heard something about that.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:15 am

sophia.olive wrote:Can you have three husbands?

I didn't mean byu is a joke just the fact tha mormons get it 30000 cheaper. Is there a record of mormons, I thought I heard something about that.
The idea is that Mormons pretty regularly abide by the tithing expectations of the church and since the BYU program is subsidized by the church, Mormons have already/will probably more than make up for that difference over their years.

From what I have heard, BYU is a solid program, but I would never make it there. I can't imagine making it through law school without the help of alcohol or caffeine. I wouldn't be surprised if they place better than their rankings suggest because of the strong relationships alumni have with the church and their alma mater.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:41 am

TommyK wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they place better than their rankings suggest because of the strong relationships alumni have with the church and their alma mater.
Yeah I'm sure the Salt Lake City placement stats are sick. That and with the Romney campaign.

jeremychristiansen

New

Post by jeremychristiansen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:14 pm

As a Mormon, perhaps I can answer some questions (or at least opine right?).

BYU seems, to me, a legit option for law school. They actually have really great placement for Federal Clerkships for where they stand in the rankings. Their SCOTUS clerk placements are actually very impressive for where they stand in the rankings (I believe 4 of the last 5 years they have had a SCOTUS clerk). The alumni network, or Mormon Mafia as some call it, is EXTENSIVE. You are hard pressed to find any major law firm without a semi-to-high-ranking Mormon attorney at the firm (we are also everywhere in business, like the CEO of Deloitte for example). We had a couple of federal judges for a while, but I don't know if they are still around. We had one on the DC Circuit.

As one who doesn't drink alcohol or tea or coffee or smoke, well that isn't really an issue for me, but I can understand why that might not be attractive to someone who chooses to use those things.

I think the subsidized tuition for members of the church is totally appropriate considering the tithing thing. From my understanding, if you are a female or am ethnic/racial minority, you have a little better shot than the average white guy that married with two kids and speaks a foreign language from having been a missionary for the church for two-year (those softs seem to me to do better outside of Utah).

Oh, and to the OP: I hope you aren't that disrespectful to Catholics, Muslims, Protestants, Jews, Buddhist, Hindus, etc

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”