Stanford - Targeted LOR? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icecreamcicle

New

Stanford - Targeted LOR?

Post by icecreamcicle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi, first time poster here so not 100% sure how it all works...

I asked 2 of my college profs to write LORs over the summer, and they've been processed by LSAC. When I got my October LSAT score (172) I decided to try my luck at Stanford. I just found out they require the evaluation form to accompany targeted letters. So my questions are:

1) Should I bother my professors to redo their letters, wait for processing by LSAC, and submit my Stanford app around Thanksgiving OR
2) Should I have 1 targeted letter/evaluation from my current employer (lawyer) and leave my 2 general professor letters the way they are?

Some facts by way of background 3.95 GPA, 164/172 LSAT, decent softs (work experience, undergrad awards). Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
Last edited by icecreamcicle on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Stanford - Targeted LOR?

Post by Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:08 pm

icecreamcicle wrote:Hi, first time poster here so not 100% sure how it all works...

I asked 2 of my college profs to write LORs over the summer, and they've been processed by LSAC. When I got my October LSAT score (172) I decided to try my luck at Stanford. I just found out they require the evaluation form to accompany targeted letters. So my questions are:

1) Should I bother my professors to redo their letters, wait for processing by LSAC, and submit my Stanford app around Thanksgiving OR
2) Should I have 1 targeted letter/evaluation from my current employer (lawyer) and leave my 2 general professor letters the way they are?

Some facts by way of background 3.95 GPA, 164/172 LSAT, decent softs (work experience, undergrad awards). Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
Personally, i'd go with option 2. There is no real "correct" answer here though, do what you feel is best.

icecreamcicle

New

Post by icecreamcicle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks, knock! That's what I was leaning towards too...really don't want to have to go back to my profs and ask them to go through the whole process again unless there'd be a big advantage to doing so

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Funny, I was about to ask the same thing. I'm just about in the exact same position as you (my stats are a little lower). I've got three general letters registered in LSAC, and was thinking about having my employer and professor rewrite them to target them towards Stanford. It'll probably annoy the hell out of them, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do.

Edit: Btw, on the SLS website, they say that the Statement of the Instructor (Form C) "should be given to instructors who have personal knowledge of your academic work," so it sounds like they are looking for professors, as opposed to employers.
Last edited by Lovely Ludwig Van on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:15 pm

icecreamcicle wrote:Thanks, knock! That's what I was leaning towards too...really don't want to have to go back to my profs and ask them to go through the whole process again unless there'd be a big advantage to doing so
No problem. I only will have one targeted letter as well, and i'm not really worried, it shouldn't be a huge deal for your application, and still one is better than none.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Funny, I was about to ask the same thing. I'm just about in the exact same position as you (my stats are a little lower). I've got three general letters registered in LSAC, and was thinking about having my employer and professor rewrite them to target them towards Stanford. It'll probably annoy the hell out of them, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do.

Edit: Btw, on the SLS website, they say that the Statement of the Instructor (Form C) "should be given to instructors who have personal knowledge of your academic work," so it sounds like they are looking for professors, as opposed to employers.

yea i was just about to say - dont they want it from a prof? hm...what about - have ur employer write a normal rec for you through lsac, and take one of ur profs to write the targeted for stanford? maybe JUST do this w/ stanford if u feel more comfortable w/ it and have that prof also go through LSAC for the other schools.

ckdgusdl88

New

Post by ckdgusdl88 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:35 pm

I've been told that the targeted letters are for recommenders with some knowledge about SLS - either they are alumni or have some other connection... If your recommender will be replacing "Law School" with "Stanford Law School" in his/her letter, then it won't be helpful. I do not think it is the norm for most letters to Stanford to be targeted.

icecreamcicle

New

Post by icecreamcicle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:38 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Funny, I was about to ask the same thing. I'm just about in the exact same position as you (my stats are a little lower). I've got three general letters registered in LSAC, and was thinking about having my employer and professor rewrite them to target them towards Stanford. It'll probably annoy the hell out of them, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do.

yea i was just about to say - dont they want it from a prof? hm...what about - have ur employer write a normal rec for you through lsac, and take one of ur profs to write the targeted for stanford? maybe JUST do this w/ stanford if u feel more comfortable w/ it and have that prof also go through LSAC for the other schools.

But then it follows with "Applicants who have been out of school for a significant period may substitute one letter from an employer or business associate. "

So...now I'm just confused, haha...it seems like maybe one of the targeted letters could be from an employer, or am I misreading?
Last edited by icecreamcicle on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icecreamcicle

New

Post by icecreamcicle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:39 pm

ckdgusdl88 wrote:I've been told that the targeted letters are for recommenders with some knowledge about SLS - either they are alumni or have some other connection... If your recommender will be replacing "Law School" with "Stanford Law School" in his/her letter, then it won't be helpful. I do not think it is the norm for most letters to Stanford to be targeted.
Do you think this applies to the Form C as well? That is, if they don't have ties to Stanford, would it be useless for them to submit a Form C on an applicant's behalf?

ckdgusdl88

New

Post by ckdgusdl88 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:02 pm

I think Form C is only for targeted letters.
I don't think you are supposed to use Form C for general letters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”