how to boost the resume of a student with a low UGPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
driftdc5

New

how to boost the resume of a student with a low UGPA

Post by driftdc5 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:35 pm

I have been out of school for a year now, studying for the LSATs and working. I recieved a 165 on my LSAT. In the past year I have started my own business, which nets 60K a year, and I worked all through out college. However, my ugpa was very low, 2.6, and I need to somehow show schools that this is not a good assessment of me. What can I do? Do I take the GREs and take a semester at grad school and then transfer in with that GPA? or should I go to school around home part time for 15 credits to supplement my undergraduate transcript, and show schools that I am on the right path academically? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Re: how to boost the resume of a student with a low UGPA

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:39 pm

driftdc5 wrote:I have been out of school for a year now, studying for the LSATs and working. I recieved a 165 on my LSAT. In the past year I have started my own business, which nets 60K a year, and I worked all through out college. However, my ugpa was very low, 2.6, and I need to somehow show schools that this is not a good assessment of me. What can I do? Do I take the GREs and take a semester at grad school and then transfer in with that GPA? or should I go to school around home part time for 15 credits to supplement my undergraduate transcript, and show schools that I am on the right path academically? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Grad school GPA does not count towards your LSAC GPA. At this point it simply is what it is. A grad degree would be taken into consideration, but it wont lift up that 2.6

Write an addendum and kill your LSAT. Hopefully you have a good reason why your GPA was so low, have been doing substantive work since graduation (seems like you have), and are aiming for schools where a 165 is well above their 75th percentile. If not, you may consider retaking.
Last edited by cowgirl_bebop on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:41 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
driftdc5 wrote:I have been out of school for a year now, studying for the LSATs and working. I recieved a 165 on my LSAT. In the past year I have started my own business, which nets 60K a year, and I worked all through out college. However, my ugpa was very low, 2.6, and I need to somehow show schools that this is not a good assessment of me. What can I do? Do I take the GREs and take a semester at grad school and then transfer in with that GPA? or should I go to school around home part time for 15 credits to supplement my undergraduate transcript, and show schools that I am on the right path academically? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Grad school GPA does not count towards your LSAC GPA. At this point it simply is what it is. A grad degree would be taken under consideration, but it wont lift up that 2.6

Write an addendum and kill your LSAT. Hopefully you have a good reason why your GPA was so low, have been doing substantive work since graduation (seems like you have), and are aiming for schools where a 165 is well above their 75th percentile. If not, you may consider retaking.
/thread

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Keep that business and forget law school. You are looking at some crappy T1 at sticker at very best.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Get a higher LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Keep that business and forget law school. You are looking at some crappy T1 at sticker at very best.
+1

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 pm

If you're hell bent on going to law school, write an addendum explaining that the need to work throughout college translated into a low GPA (I'm assuming that's what happened).

Gotta say, though, unless you have a concrete reason for going to law school, I'd concentrate on growing your already successful business.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:20 pm

teaadntoast wrote:If you're hell bent on going to law school, write an addendum explaining that the need to work throughout college translated into a low GPA (I'm assuming that's what happened).

Gotta say, though, unless you have a concrete reason for going to law school, I'd concentrate on growing your already successful business.

I agree, if I had a business I would just do that unless I really wanted to go to law school and could get in somewhere awesome

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”