Interview coming up Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arism87

Silver

Interview coming up

Post by arism87 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:36 am

I have an interview coming up-- anyone wanna give some advice on the best questions to ask? And also how to answer the dreaded "what is your weakness" question?

rqstnnlitnmnt

New

Re: Interview coming up

Post by rqstnnlitnmnt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 am

I'm not sure anyone can really answer your question about the best questions to ask - to me, your questions should reveal your genuine interests as they relate to the school. Are you leaning towards a particular area of law? Ask about that. You also would benefit from revealing, and as a result acknowledging, aspects about yourself that you want to especially improve in law school. If you're an older student returning after work experience, an example of a question like this might try to get information about other older students' experiences or, better yet, how you can apply specific skills that you have gleaned in your experiences. Have you conducted interviews or performance evaluations yourself? Ask questions that highlight your strengths - questions like "what student organizations are there?" are a waste of time. Do your research and be conversational. As someone who has conducted interviews, there's nothing worse than feeling like I'm leading or holding the other person's hand. I'm looking for confidence, congeniality, interest, and energy.

For your "weakness" question, whatever you do do not answer "Actually it's funny - my biggest strength is my biggest weakness because I'm too much of a perfectionist/hard worker/ambitious/etc." Eye-roller. Instead, talk about your real weaknesses - do you lack experience speaking in public? Use it as an opportunity to express that you are open to feedback (and ways you have accepted feedback professionally in the past) and want to learn.

Hope this helps!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:01 am

rqstnnlitnmnt wrote:I'm not sure anyone can really answer your question about the best questions to ask - to me, your questions should reveal your genuine interests as they relate to the school. Are you leaning towards a particular area of law? Ask about that. You also would benefit from revealing, and as a result acknowledging, aspects about yourself that you want to especially improve in law school. If you're an older student returning after work experience, an example of a question like this might try to get information about other older students' experiences or, better yet, how you can apply specific skills that you have gleaned in your experiences. Have you conducted interviews or performance evaluations yourself? Ask questions that highlight your strengths - questions like "what student organizations are there?" are a waste of time. Do your research and be conversational. As someone who has conducted interviews, there's nothing worse than feeling like I'm leading or holding the other person's hand. I'm looking for confidence, congeniality, interest, and energy.

For your "weakness" question, whatever you do do not answer "Actually it's funny - my biggest strength is my biggest weakness because I'm too much of a perfectionist/hard worker/ambitious/etc." Eye-roller. Instead, talk about your real weaknesses - do you lack experience speaking in public? Use it as an opportunity to express that you are open to feedback (and ways you have accepted feedback professionally in the past) and want to learn.

Hope this helps!
Thank you! This is helpful. I just think interviewing has gotten much harder with the internet-- I mean, most questions I had I've already asked/researched/gotten 100 opinions on. I don't want to ask questions I've already researched- or SHOULD have researched :(

rqstnnlitnmnt

New

Post by rqstnnlitnmnt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:07 am

arism87 wrote:Thank you! This is helpful. I just think interviewing has gotten much harder with the internet-- I mean, most questions I had I've already asked/researched/gotten 100 opinions on. I don't want to ask questions I've already researched- or SHOULD have researched :(
Exactly - your interviewers expect you to already know that (and, moreover, be well-versed in it!) Communicating to them that you are fluent with this information will impress upon them that you are interested and energetic (and that you have common sense and professionalism by understanding that an interview is not an appropriate place for such questions).

Good luck! Don't psych yourself out. They're just people too, just like you. Make their job easier and more fun by being an interesting conversationalist. If you're still in undergrad it might help to go to career services and practice talking about why you're psyched about law school, or if you've already graduated you can practice with a friend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”