Should I Retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RxBandit26

New

Should I Retake?

Post by RxBandit26 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:39 am

I have a 4.0 LSDAS GPA and got a 163 on the October LSAT. I had been consistently PT'ing at 168/169 before the test and I was very disappointed and surprised by my score. I really want to have a shot at NYU, Berkeley, Duke, or UVA, but I'd be absolutely thrilled to go to Georgetown. At the very least, I'd like to get some substantial financial aid from either GW or UNC Chapel Hill.

I know that it is important to get my apps in ASAP, and retaking the test in December would mean not having a complete application until January 10. My goal is to do better by at least five points, and I know I'm capable of this (though I know there is no guarantee; clearly I failed to do so the first time).

My question: Is it worth the gamble to retake in December in hopes of getting a 168 or higher, or are my chances going to be hurt so much by not applying early that I would be better off just applying now with my 163? (Of course, I'm sure with a 163 my "substantial financial aid" hopes are pretty much off the table at each of the schools I mentioned.)

ATR

Silver

Re: Should I Retake?

Post by ATR » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:45 am

Retake. I'm basically in the same situation as you (3.9/164, retaking in December). Those extra points on the LSAT will make a huge difference.

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:47 am

atresia wrote:Retake. I'm basically in the same situation as you (3.9/164). Those extra points on the LSAT will make a huge difference.
+1
Retake. With your gpa and a few extra points, you can get into some great schools. If you were pting 168-169, with a few extra months of studying, you will do fine.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:58 am

i dont have the same stats as him but am also in the same dilemma..
the question is..how do retakers usually fare? we only have 4 weeks left to prep for this junk..

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:13 am

sangr wrote:i dont have the same stats as him but am also in the same dilemma..
the question is..how do retakers usually fare? we only have 4 weeks left to prep for this junk..
It's closer to 6 weeks, and I'm not sure how people usually fare... I would guess a little better, assuming they put in the work.

RxBandit26

New

Post by RxBandit26 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 am

The first few tables on this site are kind of interesting, though the data are five years old. I'm also not comforted by the fact that statistically I'm expected to do "1-6" points better; 6 would be a dream come true, but I would consider 1 a failure in my case.

http://www.prelawhandbook.com/lsat__retaking

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”