Really Ole Miss? LOR related... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bendtheslurry

New

Really Ole Miss? LOR related...

Post by bendtheslurry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Before I sucked it up on my LSAT retake, I was looking at some decent schools and while most seemed to WANT academic LORs....they were ok if you didn't have them. Ole Miss says that you HAVE TO have two...well, I don't. I've been out of school four years. I transfered to my university from community college, so I only spent 2 years there and had huge classes where I was just a faceless student.

My numbers are well above 75% for them, are they really going to reject me because I have 2 letters from employers???

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Re: Really Ole Miss? LOR related...

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:46 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:Before I sucked it up on my LSAT retake, I was looking at some decent schools and while most seemed to WANT academic LORs....they were ok if you didn't have them. Ole Miss says that you HAVE TO have two...well, I don't. I've been out of school four years. I transfered to my university from community college, so I only spent 2 years there and had huge classes where I was just a faceless student.

My numbers are well above 75% for them, are they really going to reject me because I have 2 letters from employers???
Hard to say - Why don't you e-mail the admissions folks and ask directly? So far, I've had a lot of great success getting actual e-mail replies from human beings that work at these places (surprising to say the least honestly). That is your best bet!!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 pm

It really isnt that hard/bad to go into a teacher you did well in, explain your situation, and beg/ask them for a LOR - part of their "job" is to write LORs. I'd suspect that many professors wouldn't mind, but you have to give them time....

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Sandro777 wrote:It really isnt that hard/bad to go into a teacher you did well in, explain your situation, and beg/ask them for a LOR - part of their "job" is to write LORs. I'd suspect that many professors wouldn't mind, but you have to give them time....
OP has been out of school for FOUR YEARS. Even if you did phenomenally in a given class, the chances that the prof. will remember OP after that long of a time is pretty much nil.

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Sandro777 wrote:It really isnt that hard/bad to go into a teacher you did well in, explain your situation, and beg/ask them for a LOR - part of their "job" is to write LORs. I'd suspect that many professors wouldn't mind, but you have to give them time....
I don't live near my university...and I'd think it to be really impersonal to just shoot an email. I barely remember what classes I took from various professors....I don't know how compelling I would be asking them for a letter.

I guess I just find it frustrating that they only accept academics... my employers know me very well and can write very strong letters about my work ethic/character/etc. Right now the best I could hope for from a professor is : "X took my class in 2006. She earned an A and therefore is good for law school."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:37 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:
I don't live near my university...and I'd think it to be really impersonal to just shoot an email. I barely remember what classes I took from various professors....I don't know how compelling I would be asking them for a letter.

I guess I just find it frustrating that they only accept academics... my employers know me very well and can write very strong letters about my work ethic/character/etc. Right now the best I could hope for from a professor is : "X took my class in 2006. She earned an A and therefore is good for law school."
You're at/above both 75th percentile. You would need a negative LOR to hurt your chances.

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 am

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm just applying with the lors that I have, and if thats not good enough for them...oh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”