ADVICE NEEDED: now or next cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

This Cycle or Next?

This Cycle
50%
Next Cycle
50%

Total votes: 8

Blindc1rca

Bronze

ADVICE NEEDED: now or next cycle?

Post by Blindc1rca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 am

Hi. Okay here's the background info... I'm 22, non-URM, I've been in the Peace Corps for about 1.5 years now, my term of service ends in mid-August of 2011. I went to a top public university, and my GPA was 3.85. I've taken one LSAT (October of this year) and got a 170.

I'd say there is a 2% chance that I will want to begin my 1L year this coming fall (within two weeks of returning from the Peace Corps), so I'm pretty set on sitting out another year, and starting up in the fall of 2012. I have all of my app stuff for this year pretty much done. But I'm feeling like I should just sit out and apply for the year that I'm more likely to attend. My father's opinion is that with the instability of the economy, the likelihood of me getting a scholarship to a T14 school could be significantly lower next year, and so that I should apply this cycle, and then request a deferral. I don't know much, but I'm not confident about the likelihood of getting a scholly offer deferred too. I also feel that if I wait until the next cycle, my app will be slightly stronger (possible publications), and that I will be able to get it in much earlier in the cycle, thereby increasing my $$ chances.

Should I go ahead and apply this cycle, and if I don't get what I want reapply next cycle, or if I do get what I want, request a deferral? Or should I just wait until the next cycle?

I appreciate the input.
Last edited by Blindc1rca on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: ADVICE NEEDED: now or next cycle?

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 am

Seems that medians are continually rising at most t14 schools. I would apply this year.

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:Hi. Okay here's the background info... I'm 22, non-URM, I've been in the Peace Corps for about 1.5 years now, my term of service ends in mid-August of 2011. I went to a top public university, and my GPA was 3.85. I've taken one LSAT (October of this year) and got a 170.

I'd say there is a 2% chance that I will want to begin my 1L year this coming fall (within two weeks of returning from the Peace Corps), so I'm pretty set on sitting out another year, and starting up in the fall of 2012. I have all of my app stuff for this year pretty much done. But I'm feeling like I should just sit out and apply for the year that I'm more likely to attend. My father's opinion is that with the instability of the economy, the likelihood of me getting a scholarship to a T14 school could be significantly lower next year, and so that I should apply this cycle, and then request a deferral. I don't know much, but I'm not confident about the likelihood of getting a scholly offer deferred too. I also feel that if I wait until the next cycle, my app will be slightly stronger (possible publications), and that I will be able to get it in much earlier in the cycle, thereby increasing my $$ chances.

Should I go ahead and apply this cycle, and if I don't get what I want reapply next cycle, or if I do get what I want, request a deferral? Or should I just wait until the next cycle?

I appreciate the input.
What do you mean when you say "pretty much done"? If it means that you can get your applications in before Thanksgiving then I would go ahead and apply. Also, during information sessions at certain schools (i.e. Harvard) they seem to be increasingly encouraging students to defer before law school. It might be worthwhile for you to make an anonymous call to some of your top choices and see if it would be worthwhile for you to mention your intention to defer in your PS or DS or even an addendum.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:22 pm

i mean i have all my recs and my personal statement and various optional essays already written. i could get my apps in within 48 hours.

edit: what would be the advantages/drawbacks of each choice?

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm

bump

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:43 pm

No disadvantage to applying now other than the application fees. If you can afford them or if someone else is paying, I would app now and request deferrals.
The worst they can do is say sorry we won't carry your financial aid over, in which case you just tell them you would love to attend but are going to reapply next year so that you have financial aid consideration.

Others have gotten their financial aid deferred though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”