Would you bother writing an addendum in my situation? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Would you bother writing an addendum in my situation?

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McNulty

Bronze

Re: Would you bother writing an addendum in my situation?

Post by McNulty » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm

What's the explanation?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 pm

I don't understand why you would need an addendum. If you are aware of schools in your range, then you know that these schools don't see mid-150's scores as anything out of the ordinary. So why then would an addendum be necessary? Most of the schools you apply to shouldn't be schools where your scores come off as "too low". If you apply to some reach schools that have average LSAT over 160, then you would only explain away a poor LSAT if you have very good reason. Do you have an extenuating circumstances that warrants such an explanation? If not, then there is no point.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:22 pm

McNulty wrote:What's the explanation?
When applying to reach schools, I want to explain how standardized test scores have never been correlated to my academic ability (1100 on SAT, but 3.72 undergrad GPA).

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:26 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
When applying to reach schools, I want to explain how standardized test scores have never been correlated to my academic ability (1100 on SAT, but 3.72 undergrad GPA).
I don't think you need to bother with this excuse. Its just too speculative, unconvincing, and intangible. Your reach schools will be some of the lower T-2 schools with average LSAT right around 160. These schools aren't quite as strict about maintaining LSAT medians as higher-ranked schools. So an LSAT addendum becomes less and less necessary depending on the rank of the school. I guess the addendum you suggest can't hurt you, but I can't imagine it actually helping.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:41 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
I think most schools rely on the assumption that it may not be an accurate portrayal of your academic ability. They want to know how you stack up to other students in a very objective scenario. So... IMO you'd be stating the obvious and the admissions people would shrug and say "duh".

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”