Should I really write an addendum for this? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
operaphantom2003

New

Should I really write an addendum for this?

Post by operaphantom2003 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:41 pm

I went to the pre-law adviser at my university and they looked over my transcripts, personal statement, resume, etc and then made this comment:

"You should write an addendum explaining that Prof. X does not award A's to undergraduate students"

The professor mentioned teaches only mixed classes (undergrad and grad students) and caps the max grade as a B for undergraduate students. I have had 5 classes with him both in my major and as electives.

I just don't see why a law school would care if he caps his grades lower than an A.

Would you write an addendum?

sarahh

Silver

Re: Should I really write an addendum for this?

Post by sarahh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:45 pm

operaphantom2003 wrote:I just don't see why a law school would care if he caps his grades lower than an A.
I don't either. I personally would not write it.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:54 pm

operaphantom2003 wrote:I went to the pre-law adviser at my university and they looked over my transcripts, personal statement, resume, etc and then made this comment:

"You should write an addendum explaining that Prof. X does not award A's to undergraduate students"

The professor mentioned teaches only mixed classes (undergrad and grad students) and caps the max grade as a B for undergraduate students. I have had 5 classes with him both in my major and as electives.

I just don't see why a law school would care if he caps his grades lower than an A.

Would you write an addendum?
Why would you take five undergraduate classes with someone who does not award undergraduate A's?

operaphantom2003

New

Post by operaphantom2003 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Because 1 was in my major and 4 were in my minor. He really is a good professor just has a warped grading policy.

vsl89

Bronze

Post by vsl89 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:
operaphantom2003 wrote:I just don't see why a law school would care if he caps his grades lower than an A.
I don't either. I personally would not write it.
+ 1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:39 pm

operaphantom2003 wrote:Because 1 was in my major and 4 were in my minor. He really is a good professor just has a warped grading policy.
I would be wary of anyone with that policy, regardless of how good a professor they are.

Would you have gotten A's from this man if not for his grading policy? If so, it may be worth a short explanation given you have a 3.1 GPA.

vsl89

Bronze

Post by vsl89 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:49 pm

The best situation for you would be if you could get a letter of rec. from this prof. He would probably mention how his Bs were only b/c yu were an undergrad.

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 pm

vsl89 wrote:The best situation for you would be if you could get a letter of rec. from this prof. He would probably mention how his Bs were only b/c yu were an undergrad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”