Got caught downloading...help! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mykey

New

Got caught downloading...help!

Post by mykey » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:31 pm

So I got caught downloading a TV show my freshman year of college. They made me sign something saying I'd never do it again, but I never got disciplined besides that. Do I need to disclose this on my app? I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks!

MrKappus

Gold

Re: Got caught downloading...help!

Post by MrKappus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 pm

No one can answer this for you w/o knowing the question you're answering? Were you "disciplined" by the college? Merely "accused" by it? What's the question ask? Read it, and respond truthfully. Groundbreaking stuff, I know.

P.S. You're lucky it wasn't by RIAA. My friend had to settle for $8,000. Those were some expensive mp3's.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:41 pm

I'd say it depends on the school. Some schools will definitely require it. For example,Emory has a whole website about this and almost certainly would need you disclose it, based on this example:
Sample Scenario 2: During orientation, Sam was cited for playing his radio too loud in the dorm. The floor R.A. told Sam never to do it again and had Sam write an email of apology.

Sam should disclose this incident.
Your situation sounds like that example.
Last edited by Bumi on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mykey

New

Post by mykey » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 pm

MrKappus wrote:No one can answer this for you w/o knowing the question you're answering? Were you "disciplined" by the college? Merely "accused" by it? What's the question ask? Read it, and respond truthfully. Groundbreaking stuff, I know.

P.S. You're lucky it wasn't by RIAA. My friend had to settle for $8,000. Those were some expensive mp3's.
Let me clarify:

Most of the questions go something like this - "have you ever been suspended, expelled, placed on probation, or otherwise disciplined by any college or university for academic or other reasons?"

The company (I think it was Fox), contacted my school and asked the school to disclose my contact info to them. My school complied. Fox gave me a warning, and UCLA made me sign something saying I'd never do it again.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:55 pm

lol emory is a joke school and needs to chill.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 pm

MrKappus wrote: P.S. You're lucky it wasn't by RIAA. My friend had to settle for $8,000. Those were some expensive mp3's.
Good lord.

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:21 pm

mykey wrote:So I got caught downloading a TV show my freshman year of college. They made me sign something saying I'd never do it again, but I never got disciplined besides that. Do I need to disclose this on my app? I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks!
I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. According to the school reps my record would be wiped clean the moment I left campus, as it was only a warning. (and yes you are asked to disclose warnings on LS apps ). However, if your situation is anything like mine was, and they throw it out, treat it like it never happened :D Hope this helps.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:24 pm

mykey wrote:
MrKappus wrote:No one can answer this for you w/o knowing the question you're answering? Were you "disciplined" by the college? Merely "accused" by it? What's the question ask? Read it, and respond truthfully. Groundbreaking stuff, I know.

Let me clarify:

Most of the questions go something like this - "have you ever been suspended, expelled, placed on probation, or otherwise disciplined by any college or university for academic or other reasons?"

The company (I think it was Fox), contacted my school and asked the school to disclose my contact info to them. My school complied. Fox gave me a warning, and UCLA made me sign something saying I'd never do it again.
I would ask to see you record and see if it's on there. If not how would they find out?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Bring it up. At worst, you'll be seen as a media pirate and firms which work with MPAA and RIAA will seek you out because you "know through experience."(okay, fine - a stretch, but still worth looking over :lol:)

On the other hand, if somebody finds out(HELLLLO... YOU POSTED THIS ON THE INTERNETZZZZ!!!! FOR THE LULZ!!), you'll have issues with the bar for being a liiiar and not a very good one, at that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:19 am

iYale wrote:
mykey wrote:So I got caught downloading a TV show my freshman year of college. They made me sign something saying I'd never do it again, but I never got disciplined besides that. Do I need to disclose this on my app? I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks!
I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. According to the school reps my record would be wiped clean the moment I left campus, as it was only a warning. (and yes you are asked to disclose warnings on LS apps ). However, if your situation is anything like mine was, and they throw it out, treat it like it never happened :D Hope this helps.
Almost all schools say you should disclose expunged records. I thought the same thing before I looked into it further. My undergrad sends a note when the disciplinary record is requested saying they no longer have it but that there was a record that was expunged.

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:28 am

bdubs wrote:
iYale wrote:

Thanks!
Almost all schools say you should disclose expunged records. I thought the same thing before I looked into it further. My undergrad sends a note when the disciplinary record is requested saying they no longer have it but that there was a record that was
expunged.
I wasn't aware of this. The ones I researched only required you to disclose prior arrests, convictions, disciplinary warnings, expulsions among other things. Disclosure of expunged records were, in my opinion, off the record. Good to know nonetheless.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 am

Disclose. Chances are the school won't care.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 am

eandy wrote:Disclose. Chances are the school won't care.
TITCR.

(Not doing this for brownie points.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:47 am

iYale wrote:I wasn't aware of this. The ones I researched only required you to disclose prior arrests, convictions, disciplinary warnings, expulsions among other things. Disclosure of expunged records were, in my opinion, off the record. Good to know nonetheless.
I've found it to vary widely by the school, from "You need not disclose expunged records" to "You absolutely must disclose, even if the record was expunged."

letsgetitstarted

New

Post by letsgetitstarted » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:56 pm

d
Last edited by letsgetitstarted on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:59 pm

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:21 pm

It's funny that most people here asking about their disciplinary records have citations for underage alcohol use. It seems like illegal filesharing should be as common.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:21 pm

letsgetitstarted wrote:So being disciplined in the dorms for loud noise counts as something schools want to see? That seems like a stretch to me.
No. It just counts as something that Emory wants to see. My purpose in posting it wasn't to say that it's typical, just that at least one T1 school cares about it, therefore it is possible that others may as well. When in doubt, check with the individual school.
cinephile wrote:It's funny that most people here asking about their disciplinary records have citations for underage alcohol use. It seems like illegal filesharing should be as common.
I'm glad I graduated before fines like that became common. What a mess.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Makes me proud to be Canadian (or at least thankful).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:27 pm

cinephile wrote:It's funny that most people here asking about their disciplinary records have citations for underage alcohol use. It seems like illegal filesharing should be as common.
Most schools that I have experience with just politely ask you to stop when they catch you illegally downloading. It's only if people persist that they will go further. Also, most schools only catch you when you seem to be using a lot of the pipe. If you are smart about it you can easily avoid getting caught.

Alcohol on the other hand they deal with harshly on the first offense and is much harder to hide than torrenting/filesharing.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:42 pm

I don't think LSAC is your biggest problem here. I frankly think you may have to answer to a higher power. What kind of morals do you have, sir, to be caught in such a filthy action as...downloading?

This shit's ridiculous. You downloaded music. You know who else has done that? All of us. Do law schools really care? Wow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:43 pm

username99 wrote:I don't think LSAC is your biggest problem here. I frankly think you may have to answer to a higher power. What kind of morals do you have, sir, to be caught in such a filthy action as...downloading?

This shit's ridiculous. You downloaded music. You know who else has done that? All of us. Do law schools really care? Wow.
Probably, since this seems to be one of the biggest emerging legal issues of the past decade.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:44 pm

How would they know?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 pm

username99 wrote:How would they know?
"Got caught"

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:47 pm

bk187 wrote:
username99 wrote:How would they know?
"Got caught"
Right. But if you don't disclose it, how would they know? I'm certainly not advocating this..just curious? Do they get schools' disciplinary reports?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”