Can I submit a diversity statement to every school I apply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iwanta170

Bronze

Can I submit a diversity statement to every school I apply?

Post by iwanta170 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Even if they don't mention one?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Can I submit a diversity statement to every school I apply?

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:04 pm

If they also said they accept any other information then I did. If not then I didn't.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Same. I ended up submitting one to Chicago even though they kind of discourage it (since I wasn't submitting any other addenda). And I submitted one to GW under their extra "300 word" option. But if a school doesn't say you can submit anything extra, don't.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Hmmm...are there any T14 or T20 schools that would not want to receive a diversity statement? Let me know..it would save me a lot of time looking it up

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:44 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Hmmm...are there any T14 or T20 schools that would not want to receive a diversity statement? Let me know..it would save me a lot of time looking it up
I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure there were at least a couple schools (in the top 20) that I didn't attach my DS to because they did not offer the option for additional essays nor did they say I could provide "any and all additional info."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm

I attached a DS to every application last cycle. Whether it helped or hindered my application, I can't say.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 am

Yes to Diversity Statement:
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Berkeley
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown

U of C seems on the fence. UCLA says you can attach something about socio-economic status, but not necessarily other forms of diversity. Vanderbilt implies no. USC was unclear to me. GW doesn't seem to want one.

WashU and Cornell have those mini-diversity statements in their application, so I didn't attach a full one.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:16 am

RTFM wrote:Yes to Diversity Statement:
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Berkeley
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown

U of C seems on the fence. UCLA says you can attach something about socio-economic status, but not necessarily other forms of diversity. Vanderbilt implies no. USC was unclear to me. GW doesn't seem to want one.

WashU and Cornell have those mini-diversity statements in their application, so I didn't attach a full one.
GW definitely accepts a 300 word one. I know because I remember cutting it down to 300 words their punk asses. NU's is supposed to be 1-2 paragraphs.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:06 pm

Here is the list of schools I am sending my statement to so far-

Yes:
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Berkeley
Michigan
Cornell
Georgetown
George Washington
Chicago
USC
UCLA
Wash U

Northwestern: 1-2 paragraphs (Seems a bit ridiculous to write an essay that brief)

No:
Empty

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 pm

bk187 wrote:
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Berkeley
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown

GW definitely accepts a 300 word one. I know because I remember cutting it down to 300 words their punk asses. NU's is supposed to be 1-2 paragraphs.
Yeah, you're right, I don't know why I wrote that. I cut mine down to 300 words for them.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:20 am

Does anyone know what UVA's policy is on diversity statements? Right now I am sending a DS to every other T14 school.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:37 am

iwanta170 wrote:Does anyone know what UVA's policy is on diversity statements? Right now I am sending a DS to every other T14 school.
RTFM. Seriously, I'm pretty sure they say something like you can.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:45 am

bk187 wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Does anyone know what UVA's policy is on diversity statements? Right now I am sending a DS to every other T14 school.
RTFM. Seriously, I'm pretty sure they say something like you can.
I'll take another look at their website. Nothing is mentioned about a DS on their application/application instructions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 pm

iwanta170 wrote:I'll take another look at their website. Nothing is mentioned about a DS on their application/application instructions
Took me all of 30 seconds (including logging in to LSAC) to find it. Under the "Personal Statement" section of their app:
UVa Application wrote:Should you wish to address other aspects of yourself or
your application outside of the personal statement, you may attach addenda.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:28 pm

bk187 wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:I'll take another look at their website. Nothing is mentioned about a DS on their application/application instructions
Took me all of 30 seconds (including logging in to LSAC) to find it. Under the "Personal Statement" section of their app:
UVa Application wrote:Should you wish to address other aspects of yourself or
your application outside of the personal statement, you may attach addenda.
Ah I didn't think of looking there. Thank you kind sir

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:22 pm

Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Berkeley
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown

where did you get the idea that Vanderbilt implies no? I would think they'd want one seeing as they aren't too robust on the diversity front...

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Berkeley
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown

where did you get the idea that Vanderbilt implies no? I would think they'd want one seeing as they aren't too robust on the diversity front...
They give you three lines on the application to list your diversity characteristics, and there is nowhere else on the application or in the instructions that says include an addendum if you have more to say about it. Those three lines are enough for them to get a good idea of what diversity you could bring to their campus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thomas85

New

Post by thomas85 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:06 am

It takes a lot of time to do the research on each of these schools, but I have found that if you look at the FAQs for admissions or interviews with the deans, they generally say something along the lines of:
My undergraduate GPA is lower than it should be. Will GW Law consider only the GPA in my major or only the GPA for my last two years of college when I was doing better?

The GPA that is important in our admissions process is your cumulative GPA – for your entire undergraduate career. We will, however, note an upward trend in your performance and certainly will consider any factors that influenced your performance in the semesters in which your performance was not at a level illustrative of your capabilities. You should include an addendum with your application explaining what happened in one or more semesters in which your performance was particularly poor.
Im no expert but my sense is that the admissions people, at least on the surface, are generally interested in getting as clear a picture as possible of candidates in as few words as possible. In my own applications, I have been sending a diversity statement weather or not the application explicitly OKs it because I believe it is a fundamentally important part of my background and academic history. Its concise (about 350 words) and super direct. If you are simply trying to bandage a poor GPA without a compelling or legitimate reason, than it could hurt you.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:16 am

I submitted to every school I applied even for those that did not note any additional data.

overunderachiever

Bronze

Post by overunderachiever » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:47 am

Crap, I only attached a DS if they explicitly said you could.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:36 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I submitted to every school I applied even for those that did not note any additional data.

me too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hotshot234512

New

Post by hotshot234512 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:34 pm

What about writing one if you're not a minority, but have an immigrant parent and celebrate many European traditions etc? This probably isn't going to help much even if I speak the language fluently?

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:56 pm

hotshot234512 wrote:What about writing one if you're not a minority, but have an immigrant parent and celebrate many European traditions etc? This probably isn't going to help much even if I speak the language fluently?
The diversity statement, as I see it, is a moment to speak about non-academic characteristics that set you apart. I think it needs to be substantive in the sense that you need to convey how this status has effected you. How you have faced controversy potentially from it and handled that...I am sort of shooting from the hip but I'm from Texas so whatever

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:14 pm

hotshot234512 wrote:What about writing one if you're not a minority, but have an immigrant parent and celebrate many European traditions etc? This probably isn't going to help much even if I speak the language fluently?
I have seen published DS samples that addresses other diversity topics such as disabilities. I think if you can truly express how you standout, how it impacted your life, and how it could enhance the learning environment of your future classmates then you should write one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”