Schools that ask about traffic offenses (speeding) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GettingReady2010

Bronze

Schools that ask about traffic offenses (speeding)

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Some schools that I'm applying to ask for any and all traffic offenses (e.g. speeding). Is there some kind of online database that shows all of our tickets. I've been driving for nearly a decade and I simply do not remember where I got speeding tickets, so it's not like I can just go to the police dept. and get this information. Thanks!

fatduck

Gold

Re: Schools that ask about traffic offenses (speeding)

Post by fatduck » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 pm

You can typically order a driving record from your state DMV. There are some private companies that do this for you (or will do multiple states) for a fee, if you google "driving records" you're sure to find a few.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:53 pm

fatduck wrote:You can typically order a driving record from your state DMV. There are some private companies that do this for you (or will do multiple states) for a fee, if you google "driving records" you're sure to find a few.
Thanks. Do you know if you can typically just go to the DMV and get these records, or do you have to actually order them and wait a couple weeks?

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:54 pm

I got my record from the DMV, but it only has the past 3 years on it. I can't remember exact dates of my other tickets but I know that I have some prior to 3 years ago. What should I do? I was just going to attach the printout with my addendum, showing that I only have 1 ticket.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:56 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:Some schools that I'm applying to ask for any and all traffic offenses (e.g. speeding). Is there some kind of online database that shows all of our tickets. I've been driving for nearly a decade and I simply do not remember where I got speeding tickets, so it's not like I can just go to the police dept. and get this information. Thanks!
you can probably also just go broad on the dates. it's not like you're disclosing an arrest.

saying something like in the Fall of 2006, etc. would likely be sufficient.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:58 pm

justadude55 wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Some schools that I'm applying to ask for any and all traffic offenses (e.g. speeding). Is there some kind of online database that shows all of our tickets. I've been driving for nearly a decade and I simply do not remember where I got speeding tickets, so it's not like I can just go to the police dept. and get this information. Thanks!
you can probably also just go broad on the dates. it's not like you're disclosing an arrest.

saying something like in the Fall of 2006, etc. would likely be sufficient.
The only problem is that I don't know really even remember what year or season they were in. Like I said, I've been driving for almost 10 years. I also don't remember what the speed limit was and how fast I was going.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:00 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
fatduck wrote:You can typically order a driving record from your state DMV. There are some private companies that do this for you (or will do multiple states) for a fee, if you google "driving records" you're sure to find a few.
Thanks. Do you know if you can typically just go to the DMV and get these records, or do you have to actually order them and wait a couple weeks?
In my state (Georgia) I was able to order online for like $20 or something and I got it instantly. Your state may be different.
edubs003 wrote:I got my record from the DMV, but it only has the past 3 years on it. I can't remember exact dates of my other tickets but I know that I have some prior to 3 years ago. What should I do? I was just going to attach the printout with my addendum, showing that I only have 1 ticket.
Keep in mind that most applications specifically state that you should report all violations, even those that have been expunged or otherwise removed from your record. It's possible that your state only keeps records going back 3 years, but technically you should report all tickets to the best of your ability. Exact dates aren't a big deal.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:04 pm

edubs003 wrote:I got my record from the DMV, but it only has the past 3 years on it. I can't remember exact dates of my other tickets but I know that I have some prior to 3 years ago. What should I do? I was just going to attach the printout with my addendum, showing that I only have 1 ticket.
Keep in mind that most applications specifically state that you should report all violations, even those that have been expunged or otherwise removed from your record. It's possible that your state only keeps records going back 3 years, but technically you should report all tickets to the best of your ability. Exact dates aren't a big deal.[/quote]

So if I just put 2 speeding tickets without the exact date, it should be fine? I was just going to attach the report but the DMV in my state doesn't keep track of tickets older than 3 years old, so why would law schools care? haha. Such a weird system.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:08 pm

edubs003 wrote:
fatduck wrote:Keep in mind that most applications specifically state that you should report all violations, even those that have been expunged or otherwise removed from your record. It's possible that your state only keeps records going back 3 years, but technically you should report all tickets to the best of your ability. Exact dates aren't a big deal.
So if I just put 2 speeding tickets without the exact date, it should be fine? I was just going to attach the report but the DMV in my state doesn't keep track of tickets older than 3 years old, so why would law schools care? haha. Such a weird system.
They don't care, to be honest, and you could probably leave the older tickets off and it would never come up again. Or the cop that wrote you a ticket 8 years ago could somehow be on your C&F board and remember you and see that you didn't mention the ticket. May as well write "got a ticket in Summer 06 going 60 in a 45, paid the fine and took a defensive driving course," it's not going to hurt your application.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:27 pm

i would just report everything. they're not going to hold traffic tickets against you, and depending on how u word the addendum, it can seem like bs. i'd just disclose everything----to the best of your ability is very ambiguous as abilities vary.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:46 pm

justadude55 wrote:i would just report everything. they're not going to hold traffic tickets against you, and depending on how u word the addendum, it can seem like bs. i'd just disclose everything----to the best of your ability is very ambiguous as abilities vary.
Just give a technical summary of what happened. Avoid lofty explanations. Just note below your last offense that you haven't committed, or been accused of committing, any moving violations since then.

Note also that some schools want you to list charges that were dismissed. For several schools, I had to mention a car accident I was involved in, where the other driver fled the scene of the accident. He had abandoned his car, hid in the woods nearby, and had to be flushed out with bloodhounds. It turned out he was driving on a suspended license. Yet, for some odd reason, the police assumed the accident was my fault (thank God the claim was dismissed--it would have carried serious points). They said I failed to yield on a left-hand turn. But it's hard to yield on a left-hand turn when the other driver is doing 90 in a 55, tries to swerve around you, side-swipes your front end, and drives off.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Question.
I have a speeding ticket from when I was 16 and a failure to yield right of way when I was 18.
I just paid to get my record and neither shows up.
Do I need to disclose?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:44 pm

2014 wrote:Question.
I have a speeding ticket from when I was 16 and a failure to yield right of way when I was 18.
I just paid to get my record and neither shows up.
Do I need to disclose?
unless it specific expunged, yes.

the odds of not affecting you with the bar? a billion to 1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:47 pm

If your state DMV doesn't maintain records for more than three years, you might inquire at the county. I know that my citations were available for six years back.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:49 pm

I just called the counties and cities where I had the tickets in and gave them information. They pulled everything up. It took about a half hour of my time. I figured it was better to be safe and get everything I possibly could.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Has anyone made a list of schools you need this for?

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:59 pm

I haven't seen one. I don't think it's many. If you think about it, it's kind of ridiculous that we have to include a minor speeding ticket from 7 years ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:14 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:Has anyone made a list of schools you need this for?
I applied to about 40 schools last cycle. It seemed like one quarter or one third required an addendum. Only two or three wanted copies of the citations IIRC (FSU, UF, Iowa).

bjc314

New

Post by bjc314 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 am

I know its on the bar application in most and thus probably fair game, but schools that ask about traffic tickets really need to get over themselves. Has anyone else noticed that its invariably lower ranked schools? At any rate, if you're unsure of the dates just write something along the lines of, "I received several speeding tickets between the years xxxx-xxxx in (county/state); however, after requesting a DMV record, as well as contacting the said municipalities, I have been unable to locate documentation concerning the matters, and I am unable to provide the dates on which I they were issued".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”