Interests on Resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BeachedBrit

Bronze

Re: Interests on Resume

Post by BeachedBrit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:43 pm

My personal impression of the interests section was that it was a good place to show that you aren't a recluse that rarely ventures outdoors and/or interacts with people in person, basically a way to show that you don't spend all your time on academic pursuits and also highlight things like the ability to analyze and work as a part of a team.

I listed: backcountry skiing, playing soccer, building cars and cooking foreign foods. It took one line at the very bottom of my resume.

I don't feel that a lot of the personal interests that I'm seeing here would be viewed as a positive and I may have a different view point which may be valuable.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:50 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:
I listed: backcountry skiing, playing soccer, building cars and cooking foreign foods. It took one line at the very bottom of my resume.
I think this, showing what you do, is a much better interest section than merely showing what you like. OP might be able to turn some of these into more active interests (not saying reading stuff isn't "active" exactly, but I hope you see the distinction). Do you do pub trivia? Moderate any blogs? Blog yourself about gossip/news/etc? Any of those show an interest where an interviewer or adcomm could react positively.

For reference, I had a 3 line "Interests and other accomplishments" resume section; I put an intramural sport championship, being selected to marshall a Pride parade, and a lot of outdoorsy interests on it. My Northwestern interview literally only discussed those three lines.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:55 pm

The one thing that I am asked about most frequently regarding my resume is in the interests section. OP, I guess you should include it. Although I take issue with the particular interests, the idea of an interests section is good, and ultimately, you have to run what you brung.

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Kretzy wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:
I think this, showing what you do, is a much better interest section than merely showing what you like. OP might be able to turn some of these into more active interests (not saying reading stuff isn't "active" exactly, but I hope you see the distinction). Do you do pub trivia? Moderate any blogs? Blog yourself about gossip/news/etc? Any of those show an interest where an interviewer or adcomm could react positively.

For reference, I had a 3 line "Interests and other accomplishments" resume section; I put an intramural sport championship, being selected to marshall a Pride parade, and a lot of outdoorsy interests on it. My Northwestern interview literally only discussed those three lines.

I am not very outgoing, so no, I don't go out to bars or anything for trivia, although it would be cool, as i just turned 21. But i rarely go to pubs. I don't blog myself, but I comment and debate at various communities pretty much constantly. I don't know how to articulate that, though. I am just not big on social activities - I prefer one on one interactions in which I am helping people or discussing something with that one person (i.e. tutoring). I work at a law office and did a lot of writing there, which is on my personal statement/resume. Do you think I should put "debating on political, religious, and news message boards", or "participating in online fandoms" - I mean, that's too idiotic. I think I'm going to leave it blank, but I do feel like it is an important part of my personality, and I am a solid student and very analytical person so I am by no means a ditz or anything. I see it as very connected to my academic success - my love to learn, study, and debate things.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:19 pm

I think the point is that they know you enjoy or thrive academically and in terms of reading, argument and analysis. The rest of your application should have ensured them of this including LSAT, GPA, classes, PS etc. This is the only chance you have to show anything outside of that, even if its just something you enjoyed as a kid that you do occasionally now when you get the chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CurbYourEnthusiasm

New

Post by CurbYourEnthusiasm » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 pm

It boggles my mind about people putting an Interest section in your resume. Your resume should consist of an objective, education, most importantly work experience, and any necessary skills (word, PP, etc.) that you have. How is it that anyone can have a place on their resume to put interests considering your resume should be 1 page tops? I corrected resumes as my work study job (I am very good at it) during undergrad, and I fail to see the need to put interests on your resume. I always recommended to people to get rid of it. I also consulted my superiors about this same topic, and they also felt it was unnecessary. Replace it with work or volunteer experiences. When an adcomm looks at ones resume what do you think theyll be more impressed with, that you like to read (everyone does), post on TLS and keep tabs on gossip, or that you volunteered at a soup kitchen down the block? Just food for thought.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:25 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:I think the point is that they know you enjoy or thrive academically and in terms of reading, argument and analysis. The rest of your application should have ensured them of this including LSAT, GPA, classes, PS etc. This is the only chance you have to show anything outside of that, even if its just something you enjoyed as a kid that you do occasionally now when you get the chance.
I disagree. The personal statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself as a person.

In most cases, an interest section on a law school application resume is superfluous. The only exception might be those schools for which you interview. Job interviewers have told me they often grab a conversation starter from the bottom of your resume for an ice breaker to give themselves a chance to scan the rest of your resume.

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Okay, so should i then include a skill section? I feel like it's so stupid to put that i know word - that's an expectation.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:59 pm

smscat wrote:Okay, so should i then include a skill section? I feel like it's so stupid to put that i know word - that's an expectation.
Don't put that you know word. That's an expectation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
smscat wrote:Okay, so should i then include a skill section? I feel like it's so stupid to put that i know word - that's an expectation.
Eh, there's knowing how to type a paper and there's really knowing Word (styles, etc.). The latter, like typing speed, can sometimes be used for certain job applications but is pointless for law school applications. Tailor your resume to its purpose. My certification in enterprise planning would seem silly on a law school resume, but it certainly helped me get a job in planning for a retailer.

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Lwoods wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:
Eh, there's knowing how to type a paper and there's really knowing Word (styles, etc.). The latter, like typing speed, can sometimes be used for certain job applications but is pointless for law school applications. Tailor your resume to its purpose. My certification in enterprise planning would seem silly on a law school resume, but it certainly helped me get a job in planning for a retailer.
I know word/word perfect well, having worked as a legal secretary, but I'm not an expert. I am an extremely fast typist. But yeah, I don't think worth it for a law school resume.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Lwoods wrote: Eh, there's knowing how to type a paper and there's really knowing Word (styles, etc.). The latter, like typing speed, can sometimes be used for certain job applications but is pointless for law school applications. Tailor your resume to its purpose. My certification in enterprise planning would seem silly on a law school resume, but it certainly helped me get a job in planning for a retailer.
Please tell me how well one would have to know Microsoft Word & in what context it would be appropriate to include it in a resume.

"I know Microsoft Word like the back of my hand. I'm good... reeeeeall good."

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:53 pm

The interests section seems good if you put interesting interests. :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:54 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
Lwoods wrote: Eh, there's knowing how to type a paper and there's really knowing Word (styles, etc.). The latter, like typing speed, can sometimes be used for certain job applications but is pointless for law school applications. Tailor your resume to its purpose. My certification in enterprise planning would seem silly on a law school resume, but it certainly helped me get a job in planning for a retailer.
Please tell me how well one would have to know Microsoft Word & in what context it would be appropriate to include it in a resume.

My university's career office tells me to put my skill level for Word/Powerpoint etc. on my resume, as do many online examples and people in the professional world that I have talked to. It seems silly to me, but it's commonplace.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:58 pm

smscat wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:

My university's career office tells me to put my skill level for Word/Powerpoint etc. on my resume, as do many online examples and people in the professional world that I have talked to. It seems silly to me, but it's commonplace.
For a job absolutely, they still list these things in qualifications/requirements on job listings.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:03 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:

One should know it well enough to ace a standard Word test and should include it in the resume s/he would use to apply to jobs that typically use such a test. These tend to be secretarial and word processing type positions.

I suppose my point was threefold:
1.) Many people who think they know Word actually don't.
2.) Actually knowing Word is required for some jobs.
3.) However, actually knowing Word [probably] won't help you get into law school.

EricM

New

Post by EricM » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Edit: Just so you don't think I'm picking on you, consider the following. I don't walk into biglaw interviews and talk about my love of poker.
Maybe the hiring partner is an aspiring poker pro.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Raymer

This guy used to be a patent attorney, now he's a WSOP celebrity/millionaire. Pretty interesting, in my opinion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:07 pm

This is so tough...I want to include 3 interests, but I am just not sure if it is something that is needed. If my interests were making short films, playing competitive softball and being a co-creator of a successful blog, shouldn't I somehow incorporate that into my resume? At least the short film and blog part, right?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:41 pm

TT09 wrote:This is so tough...I want to include 3 interests, but I am just not sure if it is something that is needed. If my interests were making short films, playing competitive softball and being a co-creator of a successful blog, shouldn't I somehow incorporate that into my resume? At least the short film and blog part, right?
I would label those "Personal Activities" which serve greater purpose on a resume than mere interests. People don't care if you like movies, but there's a good chance they find it interesting that you make movies. ;)

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Lwoods wrote:
TT09 wrote:This is so tough...I want to include 3 interests, but I am just not sure if it is something that is needed. If my interests were making short films, playing competitive softball and being a co-creator of a successful blog, shouldn't I somehow incorporate that into my resume? At least the short film and blog part, right?
I would label those "Personal Activities" which serve greater purpose on a resume than mere interests. People don't care if you like movies, but there's a good chance they find it interesting that you make movies. ;)
Yeah, I wouldn't even worry about what to call it, just put all that stuff in there. Including the softball - just being involved in a competitive sport shows you're more than an LSAT score.

Edit: you make short films and you were considering not including that? Argh, I'm trying to edit my resume right now, and I want to smack you through my computer. :D

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:28 pm

ahduth wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't even worry about what to call it, just put all that stuff in there. Including the softball - just being involved in a competitive sport shows you're more than an LSAT score.

Edit: you make short films and you were considering not including that? Argh, I'm trying to edit my resume right now, and I want to smack you through my computer. :D
Haha, yeah, I was just a bit hesitant, that's all. I'm taking your advice!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Sat May 28, 2011 2:39 pm

edited
Last edited by socraticmethodman on Sat May 28, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sat May 28, 2011 2:48 pm

socraticmethodman wrote: Thoughts?
Get yourself a hobby?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:05 pm

The point of listing interests is to make yourself sound like a living, breathing person, not a shallow idiot. Most people probably have some "silly"-sounding interests (celebrity gossip, music trivia, video games, retro cartoons, etc.), but they're guilty pleasures to be indulged when you want to turn your brain off. I know I do, but I would never put them on a resume. I put my more "real"-sounding interests.

My resume reads: Interests include snowboarding, recreational ice hockey, camping, digital photography and art, cooking, and reading fiction.
All true, but also pretty wholesome-sounding and I think the list makes me seem fairly well-rounded. No mention of my love for BBC period dramas, crap romance novels, Disney cartoons and junk food.

OP, do you really not have any proper hobbies beyond watching the E! network and surfing Gawker? If not, just leave it off the resume. The interests section is totally optional, and I think you'd do yourself more harm than good listing just those specific interests.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sat May 28, 2011 11:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The point of listing interests is to make yourself sound like a living, breathing person, not a shallow idiot. Most people probably have some "silly"-sounding interests (celebrity gossip, music trivia, video games, retro cartoons, etc.), but they're guilty pleasures to be indulged when you want to turn your brain off. I know I do, but I would never put them on a resume. I put my more "real"-sounding interests.

My resume reads: Interests include snowboarding, recreational ice hockey, camping, digital photography and art, cooking, and reading fiction.
All true, but also pretty wholesome-sounding and I think the list makes me seem fairly well-rounded. No mention of my love for BBC period dramas, crap romance novels, Disney cartoons and junk food.

OP, do you really not have any proper hobbies beyond watching the E! network and surfing Gawker? If not, just leave it off the resume. The interests section is totally optional, and I think you'd do yourself more harm than good listing just those specific interests.
+1 Just put one line at the bottom of your resume if you're going to do it and make sure they're interesting, yet somewhat normal. Mine just read: Interests: Alto Saxophone, Tennis, Hiking, Mediterranean Cooking. As for my one anecdote that may have no bearing on how things really work, the judge I'm working for this summer hired me over others because all else equal with other candidates, he was interested in what I was, and we had a good discussion about those interests in my interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”