What numbers have gotten big $ in R50-100 schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

What numbers have gotten big $ in R50-100 schools?

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:29 am

(Skip to the end for the actual question, I won't be offended)
I'm a white male working professional currently supporting my family on my salary. I just took the LSAT in October and will be attending Law School part time/evening. I live near and work in Chicago, and can't move, so my choices are primarily between Chicago-Kent and DePaul. I've already submitted my application to each of them, ED to Kent, which is my preference between the two. I suppose I'm non-traditional (I haven't run across an actual definition of traditional yet) in that I'm 10 years out of undergrad and I was a music major at Northwestern. I graduated with a 3.36. I've also spent the past 7+ years working as a legal assistant in various firms.

My PT's have me scoring consistently in the 171-175 range. My problem in October's test is that my daughter was born one week prior to the test date. All things considered I did pretty well with regard to sleep, but there's no question that there was a substantial lack of sleep going into it (although I did stay at a hotel the night prior. Can't recommend that enough). I know that I'm firmly enmeshed in the second-guessing stage as I await my score, but I also know that I got to the last RC section (African American Transnationalism - 7 questions) as the proctor called 5 minutes left. I have never run out of time on an RC passage (speedreader) but I did on this passage, and I had to burn through the reading and each question with almost no time for contemplation or to look for trickery. I'm worried that I may not have gotten 170+.

Now, I know that, unless I royally screwed the pooch in tremendous ways, I'm very likely getting in to both schools. My concern is because I'm entering law school with the hope of getting most, if not all, of my tuition via scholarships. Kent's got an honors program I can apply to if I score 165 or better, but I can't count on getting that regardless of my score and, to my knowledge, DePaul doesn't offer a similar program. I'm having problems finding much empirical data as to what kind of LSAT score might compel either school to offer serious money and/or a full ride. I'll only have a short window once I get my score to tell the schools if I'm re-taking in December.

As it stands, if I break 170, I don't plan to re-take. I studied hard for 3 months leading up to October and I'd just as soon not go through that again for December. Does that sound like a good plan? Does anyone have any knowledge of what kind of scores/situations have garnered significant scholarships/full rides at similar schools in the past? Your assistance is appreciated.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Re: What numbers have gotten big $ in R50-100 schools?

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:59 pm

I've checked the admissions data for Kent and DePaul, but few of the entries have actual numbers/awards included. Are there other sites that might?

General Tso

Gold

Re: What numbers have gotten big $ in R50-100 schools?

Post by General Tso » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:36 pm

I had 2/3 (roughly 80-85k total) scholarships at Loyola and San Diego with 3.8/162

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”