My Third LOR... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
south_paw

New

My Third LOR...

Post by south_paw » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:45 pm

I'd love some thoughts on who I should have write my third LOR. I have two in the LSAC system already. One from a professor from my undergrad 11 years ago and one from a boss who isn't currently a practicing attorney but who has a JD. She wrote a great letter relating my demanding job in the entertainment industry to the demands of law school and that I would very much excel in law school because I exceled at my job.

Now I have four potential people who could write my third letter and I need help deciding who to ask.

For the past year I've been in a paralegal program while waiting to apply to law school. I have three professors who each have different benefits to writing the letter. First professor is the head of the department, I would think the department head would be the most prestigious professor but while he likes me quite a bit I've only had one class with him and he doesn't know me as well as the other two, the letter wouldn't be as strong because of this. Second professor I have had for three classes, he LOVES me and is an alumnus of my top choice school. Third professor was my IP professor. IP is what I want to practice. My top school has an IP certificate so I would think the IP professor could write to my genuine interest and passion that I have for IP law.

Also for the past year I've been a volunteer with a legal aid of sorts non-profit so I could have the legal director to whom I report write my third letter. He would write a very strong letter and I think this would show my dedication to a future in law.

Or can you remove letters that are already in the system? I could remove one of my original two, although I think that they should both stay.

Thanks for all thoughts!

im_blue

Gold

Re: My Third LOR...

Post by im_blue » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Always go with the writer who knows you better and can say good things, over the more prestigious guy who knows you less personally.

You can't remove LORs, but you can choose which ones to assign to each school.

Platinum

Re: My Third LOR...

Post by 2014 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:58 pm

I would get all four to do it if you could, they all have merit for different reasons in the case of waitlists. The one from the program director who only taught you one class would be the last one you should choose though imo.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”