Should I add DS for Harvard? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jd2014!

Bronze

Should I add DS for Harvard?

Post by jd2014! » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:39 am

I submitted my application to HLS 9/23, went UR on 10/6. Although I attached a brief addendum explaining a low grade, and obviously included a PS, I didn't realize I could include a DS/ adversity statement. I am not a URM, but have experience with considerable adversity (life-threatening illness, death in the family) that I feel contributes to my perspective, my current work/interests, and sets me apart. I really wish that I had included this as I think it would help the adcomm get to know be better, but I don't want to be seen as being unprepared for sending in additional materials after I've gone complete. Additionally, I am currently living/working abroad in a developing country and cannot send materials via mail, and I know that HLS has a policy of not accepting application materials/correspondence via email.

Advice? Should I send the DS at all? Should I try to send it via email, explaining my situation, or try to get it in through mail (which, at a min. would take 3 weeks and could take up to 2 months or never arrive at all)? Thoughts?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Re: Should I add DS for Harvard?

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:10 pm

At least for LOCIs I know they do accept emails as long as the letter is in the body of the email and not attached.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:17 pm

yoitsmebenny

Bronze

Post by yoitsmebenny » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:37 pm

pretty sure all the adcomms can afford any handheld gaming system they like, much less an outdated one

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 pm

I don't know what mail you use, my USPS certainly does not take 3 weeks... Now if you are international that is different, and I would PDF it and email it.

Or you could save it for if you are WLed... what are your #'s?

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:29 pm

2014 wrote:I don't know what mail you use, my USPS certainly does not take 3 weeks... Now if you are international that is different, and I would PDF it and email it.

Or you could save it for if you are WLed... what are your #'s?

3.8/172 ... I am working in a rural area in a developing country- no USPS here. Mail takes 3-4 weeks at least to arrive at a destination, but often gets lost.... HLS does not accept email attachments. I know that you can send info in the body of an email, however. If it would help, I'd rather get it in now on first review than go back to the bottom of the pile and hope to somehow resurrect myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”